Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Live axle nose angle ?
Jon Ison

posted on 24/6/11 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Live axle nose angle ?

I've always thought the diff flange should be parallel withe gearbox flange ?

I was almost convinced today it should be slightly " tipped" up, what's the general locostbuilders advice ?

blakep82

posted on 24/6/11 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
for racing trucks (like mine) the regs say they have to be angled down by a minimum of 1.5 degrees. i thought they had to be parallel too though.
can't really see what difference it makes though
out of interest, why did you think it should be angled up?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Antnicuk

posted on 24/6/11 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
would it depend on type and length of the arms? would they change the way the angle changes as the axle goes up and down?

[Edited on 24-6-11 by Antnicuk]

D Beddows

posted on 24/6/11 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
the slight angle is to stop you 'flat spotting' the bearings in your prop UV joints
mark chandler

posted on 24/6/11 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
slightly tipped
Jon Ison

posted on 24/6/11 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows
the slight angle is to stop you 'flat spotting' the bearings in your prop UV joints

Hard to get across in words, I am aware of the above, what I am talking/asking about is the flange faces not the angle the prop leaves the gearbox or arrives at the diff.

should the nose/diff flange of a live axle, tip up slightly, be level or dip down slightly ?

nz_climber

posted on 25/6/11 at 07:11 AM Reply With Quote
Under acceleration due to torque reaction of the diff the nose of the diff will tend to rise (the amount will depend on how hard your mount bushes are etc) hence why a small dip down is good, as it should pull itself parallel when it is under its most load.

Would worry about flat spotting UJ with a live rear axle as they are moving all the time anyway.

http://aarons7.wordpress.com

ianclark1275

posted on 25/6/11 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
i thought they had to be parallel but not in line?

ie, gearbox higher from ground then diff lower so you bend the ujs but faces are still parallel.

this is why its difficult to measure the prop.

you then need to then leave enough room to slide up the gearbox spline under bumpy road cond.

IC

measure twice, cut once, scrap it, start again.

procomp

posted on 25/6/11 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

Yep nose down by small amount assuming you are running the trailing arms parallel to each other. However if the arms are angled to each other to induce squat / Anti squat then map out the axle rotation during it's travel both in normal vertical movement and also in roll and mount to suit.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Volvorsport

posted on 25/6/11 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
if theyre not parallel with each other , then the output at the axle end doesnt equal whats at the gearbox , but thats dependent on the amount of the angle difference .

as im sure your aware the nose angle is always changing anyway even on a normal car .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.