Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: suspension settings (castor, camber, toe) for MK Indy
alfas

posted on 3/7/11 at 05:06 AM Reply With Quote
suspension settings (castor, camber, toe) for MK Indy

somebody offered me a MK Indy (chassis-no. indicates a 2003 model). the car has independant suspesnion all around and a quaife ATB diff (which is fitted in the original sierra housing as the quaife one was damaged...thats what i was told).

it was recently corner weighted and wheel alingment done.

2 things i´m concerned:

during test drive the car pulls to the right (only) during acceleration. does this indicate there is something wrong with the diff?

the camber is set (front and rear) to 2degrees..quite a lot imo. toe in 0.15

corner weighted, protocol is showing 50:50 (ok...something like 49.5 to 50.5 or 49.2 to 50.8) from front to back, left to right and diagonal.

what do you think about that?

[Edited on 3/7/11 by alfas]

whitestu

posted on 3/7/11 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
Pulling under accelleration suggests something is moving in the rear suspension to me.

My settings on the front are 1 degree toe in. 1.5 degrees neg camber and 6.5 degrees castor [via adjustable top wishbones].

The rear is set at 1 degree neg camber and 1 degree toe in - this is built into the design as the rear toe on an Indy isn't adjustable unless you start shimming the suspension.

Stu

YQUSTA

posted on 3/7/11 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
My front is 1.75 neg camber and 1.92 mm toe in at the rims, castor 4.125 LH and 3.75 RH (non adjustable wishbones for castor)

The rear is 0.8 neg camber, 1.45 mm toe in at rims with shims.

As near as damn it 50/50 weight and 493.5Kg full of all fluids.

This was done profesionally and to my needs which may be different to yours but it is a setup for road/track use with consideration taken for 2 up.

"If in doubt flat out"

Colin McRae

mark chandler

posted on 3/7/11 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
As above, when being set up the loads are static, if it pulls under hard acceleration but is fine on light acceleration this implies that something is moving to upset the geometry.

My car has been set up using bits of wood, lasers and spirit levels, 6degree caster on the front to centre, a few degrees negative camber on the front with 0 toe in on the front (all rose jointed)

On the rear 1 degree toe in, 0 camber when unloaded so gets a degree when wet and sat in it has rose joints on the outside only so only a little movement possible as the rubber bushes are wide apart where the bones land on the chassis.

Its most lightly to be the rear steering the front as the front will not care how fast you are accelerating, and only change as speed increases due to drag on the wheels. Concentrate on the rear suspension bushes, especially ones that are close together as a lot more leverage here and a small movement will have a lot of effect.

Regards Mark

hobzy

posted on 3/7/11 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alfas
somebody offered me a MK Indy (chassis-no. indicates a 2003 model). the car has independant suspesnion all around and a quaife ATB diff (which is fitted in the original sierra housing as the quaife one was damaged...thats what i was told).

it was recently corner weighted and wheel alingment done.

2 things i´m concerned:

during test drive the car pulls to the right (only) during acceleration. does this indicate there is something wrong with the diff?

the camber is set (front and rear) to 2degrees..quite a lot imo. toe in 0.15

corner weighted, protocol is showing 50:50 (ok...something like 49.5 to 50.5 or 49.2 to 50.8) from front to back, left to right and diagonal.

what do you think about that?

[Edited on 3/7/11 by alfas]

comadis, is that you?

matty h

posted on 4/7/11 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
What spring rates and damper setting is every one using.
procomp

posted on 4/7/11 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

From the settings shown it hasn't been set up very well. And even if the rear toe has been checked not many can be bothered to accurately set the rear toe AND thrust alignment as it needs to be shimmed in very very small increments and takes a lot of time. But all MK Indy's will be way out on the thrust alignment due to the inaccuracies in manufacture with the jigging of the suspension pickup points. Check the thrust alignment first.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
alfas

posted on 4/7/11 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
rear toe does not show-up on the alignment protocol, nor the castor (front and rear).

sure..the castor is not adjustable, but would have been a very helpfull info.

no clue about spring-rates. dampers are GAZ.

in the meanwhile i know that the car was mainly used for a few track-days, therefore was set-up for track-use only.

maybe that explains the 2degrees neg. camber.

Neville Jones

posted on 4/7/11 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
From my own experience of the M*** cars, one brand in particular has the back wheels pointing a good way to the right. (One had the back wheels pointing 6" to the right, when measured at the front axle line!!! No adjustment available on the rear wishbones to correct it either. )

Take it to Matt and get him to set it up straight.

Cheers,
Nev.

alfas

posted on 12/7/11 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
car is outside UK...so unfortunately no chance to deliver it to Matt.
Nash

posted on 14/1/12 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry to jump in on an old thread but can anyone tell me the Standard Ride height on the Indy? Front and rear.

runs a 2.0 Zetec

Cheers......... Neil

[Edited on 14/1/12 by Nash]

It's What You Do Next That Counts.

Build It, Buy It, Drive It:
Southern Kit Car Club

whitestu

posted on 14/1/12 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Hi

But all MK Indy's will be way out on the thrust alignment due to the inaccuracies in manufacture with the jigging of the suspension pickup points. Check the thrust alignment first.

Cheers Matt

Have you checked every Indy?

I'm not defending MK or saying they don't have problems, but in terms of geometry mine is symmetrical, and has no problems with rear toe or thrust angle.

Chances are mine isn't the only one that is OK, and I'd also like to bet MK aren't the only makers who have some variances in what they turn out.

Stu

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.