Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: F1 goes to Sky
zilspeed

posted on 29/7/11 at 06:39 AM Reply With Quote
F1 goes to Sky

The BBC are telling us it's great news that they still have half the races live.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9550930.stm

Sorry, not buying that at all.

I don't watch football, so don't have sky sports.
The stuff I watch is on eurosport.

How much is this going to cost ?
Half a season ?

This is all between 2012 qnd 2018.

And after 2018 ?

JoelP

posted on 29/7/11 at 06:44 AM Reply With Quote
awful news.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Agriv8

posted on 29/7/11 at 06:49 AM Reply With Quote
one word

Bu66er

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

chris_smith

posted on 29/7/11 at 07:03 AM Reply With Quote
just read that myself, and not happy at all, i do like football but wasnt watching every match, so cancelled my skysports subscription as it was just burning money for the actual amount of programs/sports i watched per month.

so for me to get F1 for the full season ill have to re-subscribe?!?!?!

i dont think so !!!!

ill find it streamed on tinterweb somewhere im sure, ill start this weekend for Hungary GP

The secret of success is to know something nobody else knows."

Ninehigh

posted on 29/7/11 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
I'm sure you could get some proper racing on Eurosport

T66

posted on 29/7/11 at 07:07 AM Reply With Quote
Sky domination.....

We are moving house, doing the cupboard tidying stuff yesterday. Missus found her accounts book from 2001, before tinternet banking etc.

The Sky package we had then (before we ditched it) was £17 a month without sport, we now pay £60 without sport (phone&net included)

If that is right they have F1 - that means an awful lot of people who watch now, wont get to see it anymore.

Bit like ....

Football
cricket
golf
boxing
rugby

Mr Murdoch needs to be told to foxtrot off with his global ramapage, without competition the whole job grinds to a halt, but we all appear unable to stop a handful of extremely wealthy people getting wealthier, while the average family year in year out get paid less and less..

No different to the global ramapage of Asda,Tesco - killing town centres independent traders - aslong as the wideboys in suits keep getting their pockets waxed then these situations will keep happening.

I pay EDF a disgraceful amount of money for gas&electric each year, after 3 x 30 minute calls yesterday, I still cannot speak to them to tell them Im moving - Massive profits & sh1t service - MMMMmm sound familiar.

Slightly off topic for sure, but they really wee me off - I wont be paying to watch F1 !

Angry Britain - Why would that be then ?

Irony

posted on 29/7/11 at 07:11 AM Reply With Quote
Yet another reason not to pay for the TV License. Soon there will be no reason to watch BBC channels at all.
zilspeed

posted on 29/7/11 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
And a direct quote from Sky.

Barney Francis, managing director of Sky Sports, said: "This is fantastic news for F1 fans and Sky Sports will be the only place to follow every race live and in HD.

Well, you're not wrong there sunshine.
It will be the only sodding place to follow every race live.
No options.
No alternatives.
Pay up or stop watching.

Bernie, remember the day you did this.
It's the beginning of the end.

mds167

posted on 29/7/11 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by T66
Sky domination.....

+1

It's taken 7 years for my wife to 'get' formula One. This will put an end to her support and the majority of the 'casual' suport BBC and ITV have built as it gets lost in the digital mire...

...not impressed.

jabs

posted on 29/7/11 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
And they only made £1 billion profit
loggyboy

posted on 29/7/11 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
SHocked and very disapointed at this news. I refuse to pay for sky sports, im reluctant enought to pay them for the basic channels.

I hope (and im pretty sure they will) that audience figures drop and FOM will reconsider. After all they have alot of sponsors to please.

David Jenkins

posted on 29/7/11 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
It's simple economics - the contract goes to whoever places the highest bid. BSkyB has money, the BBC are trying to cut their expenditure left, right and centre.

And maybe Bernie won't mourn the loss of many British fans, as there are plenty of other countries with fans prepared to pay.

It's a tough world out there...

Sorry - but that's the way things go in an economic crisis - just wait until other sports start to disappear off our free-to-air screens in the coming year or two as the Beeb and ITV channels lose bidding wars.

skydivepaul

posted on 29/7/11 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
worst news i have heard for a long time.

remember when f1 was on itv it was shit

bernie is a greedy little b""£$$d

http://www.smartideasuk.com
http://www.smartmapping.co.uk
HD CCTV
3D design solutions and integration
IP security systems
access control systems

johnemms

posted on 29/7/11 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
I was talking about going to a football match out of nostalgia with my son - in the pub - I casualy asked a football fan how much it costs to go in these days ... he said about £40 ... I said is that for the month

I know its been a while but I dont see me going to a match 'ever' at that kinda money...

Anywayyy.. as an ardent F1 fan for many many years and Sky subscriber I cant see me signing up for Sky sports either.. Just not worth it as I only follow motor sports realy....

I'm sorry to say I will be asking my younger sons about the word 'Torrent' & 'Streaming'

Sky has just created a black market for F1 - christ I pay enough for Sky & TV Licence as it is !!!!

LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE ' MORE TIME ON A SUNDAY TO FIDDLE WITH YOUR CAR'!!

[Edited on 29/7/11 by johnemms]

[Edited on 29/7/11 by johnemms]

StevieB

posted on 29/7/11 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
I won't be paying for Sky Sports and I won't be watching F1 after the switch.

It's a real shame, because F1 is the only sport that gets watched in my house, between me, my wife and my 4 year old who has already decided he's a Vettel/Red Bull fan (and he's already trying to influence his little brother that way too). The fact that he's so into the racing (from just llistening to the commentary he can rattle off a good few of the drivers names and the teams they race for) has led me to start looking at getting him into karting as soon as I can, but now he'll lose interest and will no doubt revert to football at some point, which means we won't have any sports to sit and watch together.

David Jenkins

posted on 29/7/11 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
You're right about football - one of my neighbours wanted to take his 2 sons to watch Ipswich (not exactly Premier League) and worked out that he'd have little change from £100 at the end of the day. This includes bus fares, tickets at the ground, food & drink inside, and so on. He promised his kids so they went - but he won't be going again in the near future.

...and kids like that should be the fans of the future.

Getting back to motor racing - how often do you see the other stuff that you used to see every weekend on the Beeb? The club racing, rally-cross, etc? There used to be *something* every Saturday afternoon...

[Edited on 29/7/11 by David Jenkins]

Kwik

posted on 29/7/11 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
there are always going to be streams for the sky races, what im most disappointed in is that they will have sky presenters and commentators.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Daddylonglegs

posted on 29/7/11 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
In the words of a great Musician....."another one bites the dust" !! A sad day indeed

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 29/7/11 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
Shit news, as an F1 employee I'm going to have to fork out for shitty sky to to see just a couple of races.

What is really sad is that for the forst time in over a decade (since the Brundle/Walker team) we actually have a really good comentary team with MB and DC.

I bet Sky bring in some screeching reatrd like James Allen..... or even worse.... James Allen himself.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
jollygreengiant

posted on 29/7/11 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
Charlie
Romeo
Alpha
Papa.

Inomine Padre Espiritu Sancti.

Ahmen.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

scootz

posted on 29/7/11 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote

It's Evolution Baby!

karlak

posted on 29/7/11 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
Nooooooooooooo

I pay for SKY sports as I like my footie, so will be OK for the F1 I guess. Perhaps they will intoduce a "cheaper" F1 only subs to try and draw people in?

However, the thought of going back to adverts is just Cr@p..

Knowing Sky they will spam as many commercial breaks in there as possible.

MK Indy - 2litre Duratec - Omex 600 - Jenvey throttle bodies - ETB DigiDash2

ReMan

posted on 29/7/11 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
having become less than enthusiastic about F1 these days anyway, they've just lost another viewer, not gained one

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

phelpsa

posted on 29/7/11 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
Thats a bit crap, I was just getting back into F1 this season and would have had even more reason to follow the races next year.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ned

posted on 29/7/11 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
I already have sky, but only the basic 'poverty' package I call it. I won't be upgrading to watch 50% of races, reruns and highlights will have to do me for the 50% that are only on sky. Additionally I notice sky are advertising no price rises for a year. Did anyone who already has sky read the letter where they're bundling more channels in and making onto two basic entertainment packages. Sounds like a business plan to justify pushing prices up in a years time after the price freeze ends. Nearly time for a humax freeview box I feel..

beware, I've got yellow skin

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.