Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: dry sump on a dragster
metro6r4

posted on 1/11/11 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
dry sump on a dragster

hi im building a Haynes lo cost to use for speed challenges and drag racing with a rover k series engine.i found a bellhousing to convert a type 9 to accept the rover engine however i have to run a dry sump to fit it will this be of any benefit or should ilook for a different bell housing as i dont want to carry any extra weight i wont be taking corners at speed and it wont be on the road if that helps
James

posted on 2/11/11 at 12:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by metro6r4
i dont want to carry any extra weight

Sure the Haynes is the right car for you then? It's a fair bit heavier than a Locost I'd imagine!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

SeanStone

posted on 2/11/11 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
a dry sump system is generally heavier than a standard oil system, so i'd consider your other options first
phelpsa

posted on 2/11/11 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
quote:
Originally posted by metro6r4
i dont want to carry any extra weight

Sure the Haynes is the right car for you then? It's a fair bit heavier than a Locost I'd imagine!

Cheers,
James

And it's IRS which can be a bit of a disadvantage off the line.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
metro6r4

posted on 2/11/11 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
well its not cost me a lot at the moment and it will be easier to work on than my last ride and a lot lighter hopefully but more importantly he power is going through the right wheels id of liked to run a bigger car but its on the limit of what i have room for fingers crossed it will get rid of my wheel spin issue im intending to run nearly 300 hp with nitrous maybe more if i can find a supercharger for sensible money

what does irs mean and will the dry sump make a difference to performance?

nz_climber

posted on 3/11/11 at 04:31 AM Reply With Quote
Would have thought a aero of 7 makes it very disadvantaged for drag racing. Would be more looking at mid engine fully enclosed car. Dry sump will make a tiny bit more power but probably not noticeable.

http://aarons7.wordpress.com

scudderfish

posted on 3/11/11 at 06:36 AM Reply With Quote
Why would dry sumping increase power? You have a bigger oil pump to run. I thought the primary reason for dry sumping was to avoid oil starvation under high lateral G loads around corners. Corners are not really something to worry about at Santa Pod.

Yazza54

posted on 3/11/11 at 06:46 AM Reply With Quote
Your k series isn't going to last 5 minutes at 300hp. The last one that was supercharged that I know of just kept blowing head gaskets and he was only at enough boost for 200hp. This was a seriously professional setup, now been ditched for Honda power...

I'm unhappy cos I eat and I eat cos I'm unhappy

Oddified

posted on 3/11/11 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
Dry sumps are meant to increase power slightly because the crank case is at a small vacuum, but it's only small and i doubt it's worth it in drag racing when oil starvation isn't a problem and your then carrying a load more clobber down the strip.

Plenty of people do use the K series on the strip with nitrous, but 300bhp maywell be past where it's happy/reliable.

Ian

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.