Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: WTD to borrow trailer
Lars

posted on 1/12/11 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
WTD to borrow trailer

Hi all

Does anyone have a trailer I can borrow to move my locost?

We are having to move south again from Edinburgh to Oxford for family reasons.
Unfortunately the car is currently not MOTd, taxed and not ready to be done so.

I have only recently started looking into towing and have just fitted a towbar to my Octavia.
It can tow up to 1300kg, so would need a trailer that is not plated as more than that (I think)

Anyone in Edinburgh or Oxford, and surrounding areas able to help?
Probably looking to move the car at the end of the month.

any help is much appreciated

designer

posted on 1/12/11 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Use shiply.com, it's brilliant.

Just had two cars brought down (England & North France) for the price of the petrol I would use.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Lars

posted on 1/12/11 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
will have a look at that.

I remember I looked at it when we moved up and the prices were far too much.

(also just spent £80 on my towbar so keen to try that)

designer

posted on 1/12/11 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
You have to be patient with Shiply.

Set a general timescale and you could, like I did, get a cheap bid because he wanted a return.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
owelly

posted on 1/12/11 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
A few years ago I hired a trailer from HSS. I picked it up in Wales and off-hired it at Scarborough so it saved another trip to return it!

Like this one:
http://www.hss.com/g/60257/Car-Transporter-Trailer-2000kg.html

Or you may get away with one of these, depending on how big/finished your car is:
http://www.hss.com/index.php?g=60221#PricingTitle

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

Lars

posted on 2/12/11 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
I have posted on shiply, but prices currently around £400, for which I could probably buy a trailer.
I will try to be patient see if it comes down.

Also a good shout on the flatbed trailers, there seem to be a few with gross weight of 1300 or below.
I would love to just hire the car transporter, but these usually exceed 1300kg gross weight. As my car can only tow 1300kg, i believe it is illegal to tow a greater gross weight.
(that said there are so many interpretations of towing laws on the net that you never know what is actually the case, and DVLA/VOSA don't really want to help much either)

Out of interest does anyone know what the rules are re capacity etc for DIY trailers.

thanks for all the help

ChrisW

posted on 2/12/11 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
I can recommend Helpful Hirings which isn't far South of Oxford. They hire trailers by the day. All decent stuff - Ifor's and Brian James' etc. I assume you'll be making more than one trip up/down so bringing the trailer back isn't the end of the world. It's about £30 a day too so cheap.

www.helpfulhirings.co.uk

I've hired from them more times than I can remember and they've always been spot on.

Cheers, Chris

My gaff my rules

Lars

posted on 11/12/11 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks all.

Helpful hirings are great, they are actually local to my parents who do use them regularly.
Unfortunately their trailers have to high a "gross vehicle weight" which means I can tow it on my licence.

Shiply qoutes were starting to become a little bit more reasonable, however in the end I bought a small trailer I came across on ebay for about half the price.

thanks all the suggestion, looks like I am sorted now.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.