Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 1mm cutting discs... silverline? any good?
blakep82

posted on 3/1/12 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
1mm cutting discs... silverline? any good?

just bought these
eBay Item

been needing some for ages, but didn't really have £10 for 5, saw these ones, £5 for 10.
any good to anyone else? are silverline any good for these? any names i should be looking for next time around the same value?

or what about these from bluespot?
eBay Item
20 for under a tenner.

i bought both lots anyway

[Edited on 3/1/12 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

NigeEss

posted on 3/1/12 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
I normally buy Flexovit, about £15 for a box of 25, I found these to last very well, much better than
the likes of Screwfix's or the ones Aldi have in from time to time.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

jossey

posted on 3/1/12 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
I have the blue spot ones they cut really well but don't last too long. Worth the money though.

Silver line ones ain't much better though.

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iiyama

posted on 3/1/12 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
Nothing that Silverline make is anygood at all, Made of cheese and full fat soft cheese at that!

If its broke, fix it. If it aint broke, take it apart and find out how it works!

hillbillyracer

posted on 3/1/12 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
I use these a lot at home & work, I got a box of 100 Norton BDX 115mm x 1mm discs at a local commercial vehicle/tool factors for £75 when they were on offer. So that's 75 pence a disc & they're good. Got a free coffee cup too!
At work we use Flexovit, dont know what they cost but they're at least as good as the Norton ones.
I did try a box of Klingspor ones as I found their 230mm discs to be good but they were crap, cut well but were much better at making dust!

I have had some Silverline stuff that was good, but I cant remember what it was! It'll all be bought in stuff & as such will vary in quality according to which supplier they use for that product. I was amused to see drag racing teams at Santa Pod sponsered by them, thought I bet they dont use it themselves!

posted on 4/1/12 at 06:25 AM Reply With Quote
I can recommend the ones from Smith & Arrow. ( ebay number 120820069170 )

I buy them on a regular basis and have yet to use better.

Cheers,
Paul G

Tatey

posted on 4/1/12 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
Give some Dronco Evolution 1mm discs a try:

http://www.weldequip.com/1mm-cutting-disc-115mm.htm

I am onto my 3rd pack now and would never go back. They last for quite some time and I've never had one 'grenade' on me.

kipper

posted on 4/1/12 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
In my experience the silverline discs are at best rubbish and at worse dangerous. I tried them as my usual supplier was on holiday. Pay a bit more and get the good ones , they last longer.
Regards Denis.

Where did that go?
<<<<

blakep82

posted on 4/1/12 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
dronco and smith & arrow are once i'd noticed, so will keep them in mind for next time! the video on the smith & arrow ones looks like they're well worth the money!

as for dangerous, the worst that can happen is it shatters i guess, but being that thin they don't seem to hold much momentum once they go. i've had once break in the past, and it was a new disc only on for a few minutes. can't remember what make it was, was a pack of 5 out of screwfix. but none of the disc reached me. i always wear gloves and a visor when cutting anyways, so i'll see how they go, worst that can happen is i put them in the bin and try some of the others suggested. cheers for the warning though! i'll try them with a bit of added caution

[Edited on 4/1/12 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

TAZZMAXX

posted on 4/1/12 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
I've never used Silverline discs but anything of theirs I've ever brought is like market or car boot stuff, it's rubbish. As far as I know, Silverline was set up by the person who sold Screwfix some years ago. I can buy good quality cutting discs for around 50p each and top quality ones for about 10p a piece more, why would you need to buy Silverline. Buying cheap abrasives is like buying cheap holes saws, drill bits, screw driver sets (you know, the 1000 piece ones for £12.99), it's just false economy.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.