Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Help in getting me below 100db!!
fullpint

posted on 10/1/12 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
Help in getting me below 100db!!

My Mk Indy Blade is currently 115db so therefore a little to loud () for any track so I need to get below the 100db mark.
Right no laffing now!!!
Would a cut 'n' shut on my manifold branch give me any issues?
I'm think about may be cutting out 18 inches where all 4 pipes run level and then placing a sleeve on all 4. This would then give me the extra room to install either a BIGGER back box or run a short one just before my big one..

Ok now you have stopped laffing feel free to comment
Here's what we have at the mo;
Description
Description

I've over 28 years in dealing with magnesium wheels. Refurbishment and can powder coat most metal parts. Visit my web site if you wish..
www.tpcs-magnesium-refurbs.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iiyama

posted on 10/1/12 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
What filter have you got fitted? Lot of intake noise from a sausage filter.....so you may need to look at this as well as extra silencing.

If its broke, fix it. If it aint broke, take it apart and find out how it works!

MikeRJ

posted on 10/1/12 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
Have you considered using a bike silencer, perhaps something from one of the larger sports tourers?
fullpint

posted on 10/1/12 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iiyama
What filter have you got fitted? Lot of intake noise from a sausage filter.....so you may need to look at this as well as extra silencing.

Got this on;
Description
Description

Mike; Have you considered using a bike silencer, perhaps something from one of the larger sports tourers?
Perhaps I could if I can buy one cheap enough just incase it dont work..

I've over 28 years in dealing with magnesium wheels. Refurbishment and can powder coat most metal parts. Visit my web site if you wish..

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Pezza

posted on 10/1/12 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
Airbox cuts out a hell of a lot of noise.
I've got a tiny little ART race can on my Indy r1 and it came in at 96db at IVA with a db killer in there, it's out now and tbh barely sounds any louder.

You couldn't pwn your way out of a wet paper bag, with "PWN ME!!" written on it, from the "pwned take-away" which originally contained one portion of chicken tikka pwnsala and the obligatory free pwnpadom.

daniel mason

posted on 10/1/12 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
go for a yamaha R1 can. very quiet!

fullpint

posted on 10/1/12 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
Ok chaps I will pop onto EBay and look out for an R1 can and may be a db killer..

mark chandler

posted on 10/1/12 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
I had this same issue, as will most BEC's the noise is probably not the exhaust but the induction and general engine noise in such close proximity to the outlet.

I purchased a couple of 90 degree bends, turned the exhaust in behind the passenger seat, then back out through the rear bulkhead, between the bones and out the back (boxing in between the seat and pipe). I now have good distance between the two noise factories , plenty of room, mine is a 3" pipe all the way through.

Its a right pain, better to put in the effort than be thrown off a track day, in my instance it was a £400 Goodwood day so had to trolley around in the tow car

DB killers kill power, if you sleeve your exhaust and can swap between an R1 can and what you have this is a good solution although will kill some power.

You want an early r1 can if possible, later ones are titanium which you will not weld !!!

INDY BIRD

posted on 10/1/12 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
My solution on the mnr run a 2nd can out the back of the car,

Result was 93 db, and a gain in torque, great

mnr exhaust
mnr exhaust

rear exit exhaust
rear exit exhaust

Cheap option and great for torque etc,

Cheers

Sean

danny keenan

posted on 10/1/12 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
we do a 6" trackday silencer which are around 98db.if you are intersted send me a u2u.
Alfa145

posted on 10/1/12 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
Have you repacked the exhaust can lately? You could try repacking it with Basalt, supposedly makes it quieter than using EGlass.

Or you could have a longer or larger diameter can made up?

ashg

posted on 10/1/12 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
i would say stop messing about and get rid of the pissy small can that you currently have. most of the lads in our local club that actually use their cars (im talking +10k miles a year in their kits) have minimum of a 6inch diameter can.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 10/1/12 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
Dump the bike engine and fit a VX/Durathing.... silence.

OK, seriously, as has been said you need a bigger can. Looking at your current setup, I'm not suprised you're well over the limits.

Airbox - yep that too. If you drive a while with the bonnet off, you'll get an idea of just how much noise is induction. When the blood stops coming out of your ears, drive a while with the bonnet on. Appreciate what difference a cover makes... an airbox makes a *huge* difference on top.

Static, less than 100dB is readily achievable with very little agro, drive-by is another story..... and one you'll (perhaps) need to address further depending on your circuit preference. I struggle at Combe, get banned at Goodwood, but Mallory is quite OK.

fullpint

posted on 10/1/12 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by motorcycle_mayhem
Dump the bike engine and fit a VX/Durathing.... silence.

OK, seriously, as has been said you need a bigger can. Looking at your current setup, I'm not suprised you're well over the limits.

Airbox - yep that too. If you drive a while with the bonnet off, you'll get an idea of just how much noise is induction. When the blood stops coming out of your ears, drive a while with the bonnet on. Appreciate what difference a cover makes... an airbox makes a *huge* difference on top.

Static, less than 100dB is readily achievable with very little agro, drive-by is another story..... and one you'll (perhaps) need to address further depending on your circuit preference. I struggle at Combe, get banned at Goodwood, but Mallory is quite OK.

Combe is my local track and the first visit is due in April... Was also asked to join my mate on the 9th March a hullavington but again there limit is 100db..

scutter

posted on 12/1/12 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
Fullpint, (why can't people sign off their threads),

I've a practice Exhaust can that i made that your more than welcome to have. I'll need packing. It has a 2" inlet is 7" diamater and 20" long. Granted it isn't pretty but for gratis

If you visit my www. below there are photos and videos of the latest exhaust.

I'll be at Combe on the 16th March doing a trackday, if you fancy popping over.

ATB Dan.

[Edited on 12/1/12 by scutter]

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

fullpint

posted on 12/1/12 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Dan; I didn't want to sign this thread off just yet untill I know for sure that the Westfield can does the trick.. As for the 16th.. Dam!!! I may be at Hullavington on that day, db permitting.. I will visit your www. when I find it..
If I'm still over the db level I may take you up on that offer.. I'm sure with a little powder coat here and there I could make it pretty

yellowcab

posted on 28/3/12 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
full pint did you ever find a decent solution to your noise problem?

was just about to order a db killer until someone says they zap power quite excessively

fullpint

posted on 7/4/12 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
nope not sorted yet.. I may have a look at doing the same as Sean done on his mnr. It's just finding the time to do these mod's
ive heard that a bd killer could only knock off 3 or 4 db's, that means i would have to run half a dozen of them

procomp

posted on 7/4/12 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

If serious about reducing your DB levels i would ( as mentioned previously in the thread ) start with the induction side of the problem first. Then just move onto a silencer that is properly designed to work in that situation.
For starters look at how long your existing tail pipe is in length. Long tail pipes amplify the sound, Then look at the material that's used to manufacture the silencer. Stainless again amplifies the sound compared to other materials such as aluminum.

Just have a look at what the likes of the RGB race championship guys use. However they only have to get down to 105DB for racing.

Cheers Matt

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.