Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Now a Government Tells motorists to break the Law
britishtrident

posted on 28/3/12 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
Now a Government Tells motorists to break the Law

Mr Maude advised: "The greater extent to which people have fuel in their vehicles - maybe a little bit in the garage as well in a jerrycan - the longer we can keep things going."

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

SeaBass

posted on 28/3/12 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
Break the law?

In what way?

20 litres in two 10 litre steel designated fuel containers is legal in a locked garage.

[Edited on 28/3/12 by SeaBass]

britishtrident

posted on 28/3/12 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
Maximum size of container (not fitted to a vehicle) you can legally put petrol in is 2 gallons or 10 litres. there are also legal limits on how much fuel you can store at home.

A jerry can contains 4.5 gallons/20 litres therefore is illegal to fill with petrol unless fitted to a vehicle.

[Edited on 28/3/12 by britishtrident]

[/I]

SeaBass

posted on 28/3/12 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
As I said - Two 10 litre fuel containers in a domestic garage of within 6 meters of a dwelling.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/fireandexplosion/petroleum-faqs.htm#storage

His advice is fool hardy and will encourage "panic buying" but he's not advising law breaking...

Most punters would only have a 5 litre plastic can to hand.

[Edited on 28/3/12 by SeaBass]

britishtrident

posted on 28/3/12 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
He specifically said jerry can --- a 5 litre can isn't going to get the average tory voting Range Rover sport driver far.

[/I]

A1

posted on 28/3/12 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
weve got about 40 litres in a container in our garage... its got four wheels....
loggyboy

posted on 28/3/12 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
He specifically said jerry can --- a 5 litre can isn't going to get the average tory voting Range Rover sport driver far.

Jerry can is more of a generic word tho now. like Hoover. The 5l plastic cans I have in my garage are always referred to as jerry cans.

craig1410

posted on 28/3/12 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident

I'm a conservative voter and drive an Aygo, and 5 litres will get me about 60 miles! Pretty useful actually.

Sorry mate but you were being pedantic by assuming a specific capacity to a jerrycan so being equally pedantic, there was no suggestion that the jerrycan had to be filled to the top. Ironically a full can is safer than a partially empty one. Edit: I see in the article linked above that it is capacity which matters but even so, as someone else said, jerrycan is a generic term nowadays.

It seems to me to be common sense to minimise the impact of inconsiderate union members who seem once again to be hell bent on making the UK less competitive in the world at precisely the time we need to at our best! I travel 112 miles a day in order to work and will do whatever is necessary to ensure I can continue to do so. I hope this strike is as big a failure as the last one. It certainly won't gain widespread public support in my opinion.

[Edited on 28/3/2012 by craig1410]

scudderfish

posted on 28/3/12 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
Does anyone know what the dispute is actually about?
owelly

posted on 28/3/12 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
I'm with BT. If you walk into Machine Mart, farmers store, ex-MOD stock sale, or any other such place (Google it and see what happens), and ask for a Jerry can, you'll be handed a 5 gallon Jerry can. So if folks who take the aforementioned advice go out to buy a Jerry can, they'll get a 5 gallon/20ltr Metal Jerry can.
But to carry on the nit-picking, under the Petroleum act of 1928 (IIRC), it's still an offence to (portably) store Petroleum spirit or distillate in anything other than a screw capped metal container, clearly marked 'FLAMMABLE' etc and not exceeding 2 gallons. That rules out all plastic 'cans' as well as Jerry cans!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SeaBass

posted on 28/3/12 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
As I said - most punters - where would they walk into - a petrol station...

What would they be offered - a 5 litre green can!

craig1410

posted on 28/3/12 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
Owelly,

Is this the sort of thing you were meaning??

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/5-litre-jerry-can

By the way, there is a later law about plastic fuel containers mentioned in the link a few posts back. Plastic containers are perfectly legal.

mcerd1

posted on 28/3/12 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craig1410
Owelly,

Is this the sort of thing you were meaning??

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/5-litre-jerry-can

By the way, there is a later law about plastic fuel containers mentioned in the link a few posts back. Plastic containers are perfectly legal.

^^ you also get 10L ones

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/10-litre-jerry-can-2

but arn't you ment to get green ones for unleaded, black for diesel etc..... ?

-

coyoteboy

posted on 28/3/12 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
A jerry can contains 4.5 gallons/20 litres therefore is illegal to fill with petrol unless fitted to a vehicle.

We keep a couple of jerry cans in the garage for the boat, and 100 litres in the boat tank. Only really an issue if your garage goes up.

dhutch

posted on 28/3/12 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
As said, you can get 5/10l steel gerry cans. I wouldnt use the term for a plastic fuel container however.

I also got verbal comunication from phone call with the local police that although i couldnt store it in my garage two 20l gerry cans in my car/trailer to a race or trackday was ok as long as the container where suitably marked as to there contence.

And ofcause deisal is diffrent again.

Daniel

Dick Axtell

posted on 28/3/12 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by A1
weve got about 40 litres in a container in our garage... its got four wheels....

I remember someone doing precisely this, during the Suez crisis, in the '50s. Mind you, his 2.3, straight 8 Alfa had a slab tank, which held many gallons. Used it as temporary storage, for running his Austin Ruby!

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

britishtrident

posted on 28/3/12 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
The Wehrmachtskanister or Jerrycan has a very specific meaning the word Jerrycan was first coined in WW2 by britishh 8th army who much preferred caputured Germany 20 litre fuel can to the much less robust and smaller standard British 2 Gallon fuel can. The German pattern was rapidly copied and manufactured in the UK and USA.

Quote Wikipedia
"A jerrycan is a robust fuel container originally made from pressed steel. It was designed in Germany in the 1930s for military use to hold 20 litres of fuel. The development of the jerrycan was a significant improvement on earlier designs, which required tools and funnels to use."

[/I]

coyoteboy

posted on 28/3/12 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
pedant
Alan M

posted on 28/3/12 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
In the years following World War II the jerry can became a ubiquitous item commonly available for purchase. In the 1980s plastic jerry cans were being manufactured.

Quote Ehow.com
http://www.ehow.com/facts_5752158_jerry-can_.html

orton1966

posted on 28/3/12 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
Union Protectionist Behaviour

quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish

As I understand it the unions are trying to limit the outsourcing of tanker driving by the oil companies so they can maintain an inflated rate for those employed directly by the oil companies.

The sum being banded around is £45k p/a as an average for unionised drivers. Don’t get me wrong you don’t want idiots or inexperienced drivers touring our streets with a laden tanker but the basics are the same as any other HGV, sorry not a £45k job!

This is what unions do, given the chance, try to make something a closed shop and push, push, push i.e. look what a dangerous job it is, how unsociable it is, how skilled it is until the pay rate becomes unsustainable, thus it only really works when they can hold the country to ransom

Hence the threat of fuel disruption leading into the summer, anyone want to take a guess how much tube and bus drivers are screwing out of the country during the London Olympics!

Dopdog

posted on 28/3/12 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
well said Craig did you mean to be so funny in your post
onenastyviper

posted on 28/3/12 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by orton1966
quote:

As I understand it the unions are trying to limit the outsourcing of tanker driving by the oil companies so they can maintain an inflated rate for those employed directly by the oil companies.

The sum being banded around is £45k p/a as an average for unionised drivers. Don’t get me wrong you don’t want idiots or inexperienced drivers touring our streets with a laden tanker but the basics are the same as any other HGV, sorry not a £45k job!

This is what unions do, given the chance, try to make something a closed shop and push, push, push i.e. look what a dangerous job it is, how unsociable it is, how skilled it is until the pay rate becomes unsustainable, thus it only really works when they can hold the country to ransom

Hence the threat of fuel disruption leading into the summer, anyone want to take a guess how much tube and bus drivers are screwing out of the country during the London Olympics!

Isn't this the basics of capitalism - supply and demand?
The premise of a Union is/was to look after the rights of the average working man. Striking was the only means of protest against unfair practices of unscrupulous employers. Now it seems that successive gGovernments have managed to turn the general public against this.
Ask yourself this, what would happen if all the workers decided to stop work for a day at the same time across the country?
Don't get me wrong, the unions have not helped themselves. Instead of trying to win over the public and show what they are about and have defined moral/political stances which are there to better society they have decided to look after themselves - just like the political system really.
Conservatism, Labour Movement have lost their meaning - it is now everyone for themselves, even if it means screwing over your fellow human being...Consumerism is where it is. Anything which disruptes this need to "consume" will be fought by those in power at all costs. They have to, if we don't consume we don't keep the virtual money flowing around.

Basically, We are all hypocrites.

orton1966

posted on 28/3/12 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by onenastyviper
quote:
Originally posted by orton1966
quote:

Isn't this the basics of capitalism - supply and demand?
The premise of a Union is/was to look after the rights of the average working man. Striking was the only means of protest against unfair practices of unscrupulous employers. Now it seems that successive gGovernments have managed to turn the general public against this.

I’d argue unions try to prevent supply and demand, place a job advert advertising for tanker drivers, rate £30k for a full time job and if the only requirement was a HGV licence and say 10 years experience and you’d be swamped by applicants.

Similarly if you de-unionised the London-tube and offered the job and suitable training for 10k below the current rate you’d be crushed in the stampede for the jobs.

Royal mail is in the poo because they are are stuck with a unised workforce hanging on to terms and conditions that are out of touch with private postal companies and they’d never have got those T&C’s without the monopoly they once had, now they hang on to them for grim death.

Again my argument is the unions have remained strong in certain trades where they can prevent, supply and demand and exert pressure by affecting the average man in the street.

T66

posted on 28/3/12 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
The actual capacity of a Jerrycan is 18 litres - Not 5 gallons.

I know this, as I was Rommels right hand man during the North Africa campaign, and often complained to him they only held 18L, as I filled his half track up...

If you wish to argue, I can produce receipts I kept from the filling station in Bir el Gobi, Libya

coozer

posted on 28/3/12 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craig1410
e said, jerrycan is a generic term nowadays.

It seems to me to be common sense to minimise the impact of inconsiderate union members who seem once again to be hell bent on making the UK less competitive in the world at precisely the time we need to at our best!
[Edited on 28/3/2012 by craig1410]

What the hell are you on about? "inconsiderate union members" How dare you? Its dead easy for you as a conservative (you must be minted) to blame unions. It seems to me the government since Thatcher came to power have been bent on that track.

How about blaming the government? I remember a nice industry that we used to have where what we called 'power loaders' earned up to £50k a year in the early 80's before Maggie was hell bent on getting rid.. can you guess??

So, you want shot of £45k tanker drivers who supply an essential service? What's next? Tube drivers? Normal people (Not conservative rich toffs) run these services.

Maybe you think that the peasants should only be entitled to the minimum wage?

Get your arse up here and I'll show you how this country has been shot to the dogs!

How about when the tanker driver go on strike the rest of us stand up and say "enough is enough"??

And before you label me I'll say it out loud "Vote UKIP on 3rd May"

See you's at Stoneliegh
Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.