I could not have put it better myself, here here

in fact I did not

craig1410

posted on 28/3/12 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
quote:
Originally posted by craig1410
e said, jerrycan is a generic term nowadays.

It seems to me to be common sense to minimise the impact of inconsiderate union members who seem once again to be hell bent on making the UK less competitive in the world at precisely the time we need to at our best!
[Edited on 28/3/2012 by craig1410]

What the hell are you on about? "inconsiderate union members" How dare you? Its dead easy for you as a conservative (you must be minted) to blame unions. It seems to me the government since Thatcher came to power have been bent on that track.

How about blaming the government? I remember a nice industry that we used to have where what we called 'power loaders' earned up to £50k a year in the early 80's before Maggie was hell bent on getting rid.. can you guess??

So, you want shot of £45k tanker drivers who supply an essential service? What's next? Tube drivers? Normal people (Not conservative rich toffs) run these services.

Maybe you think that the peasants should only be entitled to the minimum wage?

Get your arse up here and I'll show you how this country has been shot to the dogs!

How about when the tanker driver go on strike the rest of us stand up and say "enough is enough"??

And before you label me I'll say it out loud "Vote UKIP on 3rd May"

See you's at Stoneliegh
Steve

"minted" - yeah that's me... Actually, came within a proverbial "baw hair" of going under late last year due to an attempt at starting a business with an old friend going a bit wrong. Now working as an IT contractor and Director of my own limited company and gradually repairing the damage but it will be a while before I will be anywhere close to minted. I'd be happy to just clear my credit cards this year! Quite stressful to be honest but I like to think that hard work will be rewarded. I took a measured risk when I left my job of 10 years last March and even with all the pain we suffered, I wouldn't change a thing.

As for unions, it just goes completely against my individuality to be honest. I'm the type of guy who does the opposite of everyone else and it works out well for me generally. I think deeply about most things and use my instinct to guide me. It very very rarely let's me down. I simply could not allow my decisions to be made by "the collective". Have none of you guys seen the Borg on Star Trek? Resistance is NOT futile!! Grow some balls and think and act for yourself.

Dopdog

posted on 28/3/12 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
"Grow some balls and think and act for yourself."

you seem to be generalizing us all with not having any work ethics! or in fact minds of our own. Are you the only one to start his own business AND FAIL I think not.

PS
you need to get out a bit more and stay away from star trek

craig1410

posted on 28/3/12 at 11:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dopdog
"Grow some balls and think and act for yourself."

you seem to be generalizing us all with not having any work ethics! or in fact minds of our own. Are you the only one to start his own business AND FAIL I think not.

PS
you need to get out a bit more and stay away from star trek

Who said anything about failing! Both businesses are going well actually. The first was tourism related so I had to bridge the gap to the start of the new tourist season. "Failure" and "impossible" are words you won't find in my dictionary. You wont find "union" or "follower" either...

I don't have a problem with individuals, I just don't like unions as they encourage a mindless mob culture and attempt to paralyse our country. Anyone with sound work ethics is alright in my books!

So what have you done that's so great? Are you a union leader by any chance? If so then you are probably doing really well, riding on the backs of the workers you purport to represent. How you must laugh at their gullibility!

Enough banter for me tonight, I'm off to bed. Goodnight all.

Dopdog

posted on 29/3/12 at 06:38 AM Reply With Quote
Well said,

just for your info not a member of anything and have been self employed since I left school many years ago.

dhutch

posted on 29/3/12 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
They have now said, dont do that.... FAIL!

Whats the take on half filling a 20l can, or pair there of, far more vapour space but fits with the the 'max two off 10l in metal containers' rule as I read it.

Daniel

Neville Jones

posted on 29/3/12 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
Tanker drivers deserve every penny the get. They earn it!

You lot try driving a truck around with thousands of gallons of petrol sloshing around and you can feel every wobble.

I've driven a tanker full of water, that was harrowing enough.

But full of fuel? No way. The responsibility they carry is immense.

They earn their £45k.

Whereas the shiny arsed poofs who 'work in the city', do 9/10 ths of stuff all and expect £250k bonuses. ( Oh yes, they 'take risks'.) Then expect the govt, you and me, to bail them out when they take on the wrong risk, then still expect their end of year bonus. For screwing up!!! And they're the ones who are doing the moaning?

It's time those Old Etonians were all consigned to some remote island where thay can all fiddle with each others' like they did at school, and we got practical level headed people running the place.

Of course, it'll never happen.

Cheers,
Nev.

Simon

posted on 29/3/12 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neville Jones
Whereas the shiny arsed poofs who 'work in the city', do 9/10 ths of stuff all and expect £250k bonuses. ( Oh yes, they 'take risks'.) Then expect the govt, you and me, to bail them out when they take on the wrong risk, then still expect their end of year bonus. For screwing up!!! And they're the ones who are doing the moaning?

It's time those Old Etonians were all consigned to some remote island where thay can all fiddle with each others' like they did at school, and we got practical level headed people running the place.

Cheers,
Nev.

Exactly how many of the 1/2 million people that work in the City (or Canary Wharf) do you really think earn big bonuses? I worked there for 20 years and never saw a bonus or decent salary review (well, one when I was 23 and got a 30% pay rise (30% of f all is still f all). The job was far more involved than driving and I had to leave home at 8 and get home around 7 paying (what is now) £3500 just to get to work (from gross earnings). I wasn't a union member so could have lost my job at any time, just worked hard etc etc.

You'll find 99.9% of the people who work there spend most of the time worried they'll still have a job next week, earn poo money,would rather be elsewhere and are generally very normal decent folk. Just cos they work in an office doesn't make them bad people. So get over it.

Tony Blair fooked this country spectaculary and has just been paid £8,000,000 consultancy from some ex soviet state. I don't suppose he'd have paid 45% tax on it though. Brown did well selling off £13b for £2b. He still has a job

ATB

Simon

scootz

posted on 30/3/12 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
Woman burnt linky...

Decanting fuel in her kitchen??? FFS!!!

It's Evolution Baby!

onenastyviper

posted on 30/3/12 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
quote:

Cheers,
Nev.

Exactly how many of the 1/2 million people that work in the City (or Canary Wharf) do you really think earn big bonuses? I worked there for 20 years and never saw a bonus or decent salary review (well, one when I was 23 and got a 30% pay rise (30% of f all is still f all). The job was far more involved than driving and I had to leave home at 8 and get home around 7 paying (what is now) £3500 just to get to work (from gross earnings). I wasn't a union member so could have lost my job at any time, just worked hard etc etc.

You'll find 99.9% of the people who work there spend most of the time worried they'll still have a job next week, earn poo money,would rather be elsewhere and are generally very normal decent folk. Just cos they work in an office doesn't make them bad people. So get over it.

Tony Blair fooked this country spectaculary and has just been paid £8,000,000 consultancy from some ex soviet state. I don't suppose he'd have paid 45% tax on it though. Brown did well selling off £13b for £2b. He still has a job

ATB

Simon

Of course, why didn't I think of it - it's all Tony Blair & Gordon Brown's fault.
Hmm, hang on, doesn't the Conservative Party have a track record of scares as well? - Anyone fancy an Egg?

We are all hypocrites. We want the luxuries without paying for them and will vote for anyone who promises them as long as the cost isn't borne by us and we don't see the affects.
What a society, consume-consume-CONSUME.

Or maybe it's just me who thinks it's all FUBAR and what the effing point of it all?

Confused but excited.

posted on 30/3/12 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
If you want to store fuel legal guidelines say you have to have the right container.

There are only two types you can use, the metal 10 litre and the 5 litre plastic can.

Both have to say Highly Flammable on them.

The maximum you can store at your home is 30 litres.

The jerry can is a 20 litre metal can. It is illegal to store petrol in one of these, this is because you are not allowed to carry 20 litres in just one container.

The 10 litre metal can:

The maximum you can use is two of these = 20 litres in metal cans.

The 5 litre plastic container:

The maximum you can use is two of these = 10 litres.

OR a combination of metal can + plastic container:

The maximum you can store is 30 litres using a combination.

2 x 10 litre metal cans + 2 X 5 litre plastic cans = 30 litres in total.

And what is a Jerry can?

20 litre Jerry can illegal for home use
A jerry can holds 20 litres in one container, which is against the law.

It is an old fashioned bit of kit, made out of strong pressed metal and designed in Germany back in the 1930's.

Word!

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

SeaBass

posted on 30/3/12 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
The thread that won't die...

As said before Jerry Can has become a "Hoover"...

Look at how many 10 litre can results have the word "Jerry" in them...

T66

posted on 30/3/12 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
Correction - I dont vote for those that promise to change the world, they ARE ALL full of sh1t, liars and on the whole dishonorable egotistical people waxing their own handles.

I move from one political party with my vote, when I am sick to the back teeth of the current rabble shafting me, my family and my friends.

The only section of society, private sector, gold plated public sector workers who havent been touched by the hand of the knife by successive governments are Members of parliament. They conveniently leave their pay rises and conditions for them to update.

Not a fan of the Unions, they dont represent the workforce either, more the egos of the anti establishment leaders. Ive worked in unionised places where if I didnt join, nobody would talk to you. Good at taking my subscriptions and thats about it.

Yet again the working man/woman is the victim of all the crossfire, its not the tankers driver, the nurses, the binmen, the local doctor, solicitor or teacher....

This current rabble see any aspect of a person working as fair game to tax to the hilt, meanwhile the long term great unwashed still sit in the house being unproductive for years.

Ask yourself how many of the long termer dole bums you know who have been forced to go to work since the LibCons took over ?

I dont know any, the cider drinkers near me are still in the park everyday of the week getting pissed.

David Jenkins

posted on 30/3/12 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
Woman burnt linky...

The thing is - how many people know how to handle petrol these days? In years gone by - 40s, 50s, 60s - cars were high-maintenance and many people used to have to deal with petrol, either in cans, or draining and refilling tanks, etc. We all knew then that petrol could be dangerous and nasty, and you dealt with it accordingly. In my case, I know never to bring petrol into the house, and if I have to pour it then that happens either at the front of the garage by the open door, or out the back garden next to the shed. Certainly never with naked flames nearby!

Nowadays, people never even see petrol - they stick a handle into a hole in their car, pull a lever, and let go when the handle goes clunk.

[Edited on 30/3/12 by David Jenkins]

craig1410

posted on 30/3/12 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
quote:

Cheers,
Nev.

ATB

Simon

Well said Simon, it's too easy for ignorance to be used as an excuse to attack office workers, bankers and anyone else who happens to gain a good education, work hard and earn a decent wage as a result. I once got a £5k bonus for completing a 2 year IT project on time and on budget so I guess I'll get lumped in with the rest of the bonus seeking scumbags...

I've got nothing against tanker drivers but if the average salary for driving a tanker is £45k then I really don't think they have much to complain about and hiding behind vague statements about health and safety rules and other vague concerns doesn't wash I'm afraid. I also think that tankers have baffles in the tank to prevent excessive "sloshing" so I doubt that it is all that difficult. The responsibility is no more than someone who drives a school bus and in my opinion considerably less in fact. Just ask those involved in the horrific crash in Switzerland recently.

I find it amazing that there are those who think nothing of a football player earning £30k+ a week and yet the same people scoff at the highly trained professionals at the heart of our country's financial recovery getting paid a decent salary. Personally I'm happy for UK PLC to pay several million pounds a year to attract the most highly trained and experienced person(s) possible to handle the HUGE sums of money which circulate in our economy every day. As investments go, it is likely to be one of the best we can make!

craig1410

posted on 30/3/12 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
Woman burnt linky...

The thing is - how many people know how to handle petrol these days? In years gone by - 40s, 50s, 60s - cars were high-maintenance and many people used to have to deal with petrol, either in cans, or draining and refilling tanks, etc. We all knew then that petrol could be dangerous and nasty, and you dealt with it accordingly. In my case, I know never to bring petrol into the house, and if I have to pour it then that happens either at the front of the garage by the open door, or out the back garden next to the shed. Certainly never with naked flames nearby!

Nowadays, people never even see petrol - they stick a handle into a hole in their car, pull a lever, and let go when the handle goes clunk.

[Edited on 30/3/12 by David Jenkins]

I've heard this story told on the news several times today and I have yet to hear any suggestion that this was at all connected to the tanker drivers fuel crisis. Radio 4 this morning simply said that her daughter had run out of fuel (possibly for her lawn mower) and for some very strange reason she was pouring petrol from a container into a glass jug next to the gas hob which was lit. I don't want to be insensitive at this tragedy but it was only ever going to end in disaster under these circumstances. I harsh lesson to learn and must have been dreadful for the daughter to witness but even if it turns out this was somehow connected to the fuel dispute, I don't think blame can be placed beyond the walls of that fateful kitchen to be honest.

morcus

posted on 31/3/12 at 03:07 AM Reply With Quote
I think your right on that one, but why would you have petrol 'inside' your house.

There seem to be alot of really weird attacks on Tory Voters in this thread, considering THIS suggests the 62.5% of the board are Tory voters, so I'm guessing that the last two years haven't been so great for some of you (I also concede that there are many more people on here than the 88 that voted).

I voted Conservative in the last General Election. I voted Conservative in Glasgow in the Local and MSP elections before that and I still think things overall would be better under a conservative government, unfortunatly that doesn't make me a millionaire, I make about £15K a year, then pay half of it in tax for a job thats killing me because the alternative would mean losing everything. Do tanker drivers deserve £45K a year? I don't know, but should you pay someone £45K to do something someone else will do for £30K? No you should not, that is the reality of supply and demand.

It's Unions that destroyed our industry.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Neville Jones

posted on 1/4/12 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
These 'City' people you lot are defending, would die if they had to drive a truck, much less a fuel wagon. If asked to do anything remotely manual, they'd die of shock. They despise and openly laugh at manual trades, as much as they need them.

And before you go jumping in and saying how hard working they are, I know what and how they think, from having to rub shoulders with them, literally, all too often.

The tanker drivers actually do earn their money. Although, you don't hear of tankers overturning every day, the odd event is the one that shows the risks.

Would you drive a truck that could turn into an inferno at the any time, if you made an absent minded error, and all for the same money as a 'city banker' is supposed to get?

nev.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.