Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: What trailer is this ?
andy996tt

posted on 1/5/12 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
What trailer is this ?

Can anyone identify this trailer. Would be ideal for what I need but don't know where to buy it.

Cheers

Andy

andy996tt

posted on 1/5/12 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote

andy996tt

posted on 1/5/12 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote

big_wasa

posted on 1/5/12 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
I would say thats home made.
andy996tt

posted on 1/5/12 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
Doesn't look home made to me
owelly

posted on 1/5/12 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
Looks like the car has the suspension mounting and drawbar plates welded to the chassis so you just bolt them on, hitch it up, and off you go.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zilspeed

posted on 1/5/12 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
I'm not sure that it actually is a trailer.

It's not an A frame.

If it was a trailer, there would be a visible means of driving the car onto the trailer.

My suggestion is that the creator has devised a means whereby the suspension hubs and drawbar are demountable.
Jack the car up, bolt on the hubs and drawbar, let it down, hook up to your towcar, away you go.

Fair enough idea I suppose.

The only thing not available in the picture above is a simply constructed drawbar.
The rest is off the shelf.
It's the demountability of it that slightly confuses me.
I don't imagine it'll be the work of a moment to do so in a manner which is safe and secure.

The drawbar would be relatively simple, bit not so sure about the hubs unless there was some sort of locking slide mount or captive bolts.

I guess if you've no room for a trailer (like a great many of us) it would suit fine.

[Edited on 1/5/12 by zilspeed]

slingshot2000

posted on 1/5/12 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
Is that not the draw-bar, just under the mudguards in the second photograph ?

Regards
Jon

big_wasa

posted on 1/5/12 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andy996tt
Doesn't look home made to me

Why ?

The draw bar is a length of 2" box. The plate on the end is an of the shelf hub mounting plate.
The key in this being safe is what you can not see, ie the plates that have been welded to the chassis to spread the load.

[Edited on 1/5/12 by big_wasa]

Hector.Brocklebank

posted on 1/5/12 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
I would say thats home made.

+1

certainly looks home made to me too.

In effect the car chassis is the trailer, and as long as everything is bolted to the chassis in a safe and sufficient manner it should be OK.

clever idea, not sure how Mr traffic plod might view it though

Some people can never handle the truth and always try to shoot the messenger instead of taking an honest look in the mirror (its always easier to blame another than to face reality), but secretly they wish they could grow a pair and be the messenger !!!

Dangle_kt

posted on 1/5/12 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
Great idea. Looks a bit of a faff getting it on and off, but most home brew trailers are less than ideal anyway.

I especially like the locating pins on the draw bar, clever idea to speed up correctly locating that 6 bolt plate (you can see them just in front)

I'd imagine that the suspension is mounted onto two welded on plates, maybe even with captive nuts fitted - that would speed it up a lot.

zilspeed

posted on 1/5/12 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
And the exhaust has to come off too.

Just saying.

MakeEverything

posted on 1/5/12 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
Clever idea.

I don't know anything about trailers, but should a trailer be MOT'd? If that's the case, then i don't see how the plod would have an issue with this, other than the fact that the wheels and draw bar haven't been inspected by the IVA or MOT station whilst fitted to the car.

But then, how many traffic officers know the finer points...

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

zilspeed

posted on 1/5/12 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
Trailers don't have to be MOT'D.

Many a new trailer has been built "old" just to give it that look of "been like this for years occifer, never given me a minute's bother, nothing to see here, move along now."

Just to avoid all this safety related plating nonsense (sic).

TAZZMAXX

posted on 1/5/12 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
It looks to me like it would be putting extra loading on areas of the chassis that weren't meant to have them. The idea is good enough but it doesn't inspire confidence the way it's constructed or attached.
PAUL FISHER

posted on 1/5/12 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
I can't see how the car is held on the trailer either, loading and unloading would be a right pain by the looks of it, removing the exhaust etc, just what you don't want at the end of a long day at the track
Ive not got any room to store a trailer, just a single garage, so I have just bought a second hand Brian James Minno trailer, twin axle, tyre rack, fuel storage for 3 20L jerry cans, winch, and wheel straps, all for just £900, just fits in a single garage no problem, I just drive the car on and off when I need it, and the good thing about buying a quality second hand trailer, it will always sell for around what you paid for it when you come to move it on

TAZZMAXX

posted on 1/5/12 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PAUL FISHER
I can't see how the car is held on the trailer either, loading and unloading would be a right pain by the looks of it, removing the exhaust etc, just what you don't want at the end of a long day at the track

Especially if you inadvertently stuff the car whilst on track. Imagine trying to bolt that lot back onto a twisted wreck

Wadders

posted on 1/5/12 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
Nice idea, but wouldn't fancy towing it far on that, not at any decent speed.........not that any of us exceed the limit when towing......A very sedate drive back from Anglesey behind Chris mason one year springs to mind

Al.

owelly

posted on 1/5/12 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
Taking the exhaust can off takes a minute. One mounting bolt and one clamp bolt.
Fitting the drawbar and wheels could be done quicker than it would take to strap the car down to a trailer. You could just drive the front wheels up a pair of ramps to bolt the wheels and drawbar on. A minute for each with a battery impact wrench. Then reverse off the ramps so the car is now sat on the 'tow wheels'. If the weight distribution is right, you could get the weight on the drawbar (noseweight) to be minimal.
I can't see how folks can comment on the safety of this set-up, unlesd they have actually seen it. There could be additional steelwork added to the chassis to combat any additional stresses. Plus, you can strap a pair of reflective triangles to the back of the car to use its rear lights as the trailer lights.
IMHO, it looks like a better solution to a lot of the flimsy caravan chassis creations often seen used, where the deck load structure bolted to it probably puts it over the SWL of the axle before a 750kg car gets plonked on top!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
puma931

posted on 1/5/12 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
Andy996tt - Looks great, where did you get the pictures from, as it would be good to find out where the owner purchansed the parts.

Cheers

Mathew

andy996tt

posted on 1/5/12 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
Just looking around on ebay. The seller wouldn't tell me much about it
PAUL FISHER

posted on 1/5/12 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
Found it here.

Westfield Kit car Track car | eBay

puma931

posted on 1/5/12 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andy996tt
Just looking around on ebay. The seller wouldn't tell me much about it

Do you have the link?

mark chandler

posted on 1/5/12 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
Cannot see a problem with it myself provided the frame of the car is adequately supported, my trailer has 'under wheels' so the wheelbase of the trailer is the same.

If I went that way I would have a built a crucifix out of box to drop the car on adding support and included brakes.

[Edited on 1/5/12 by mark chandler]

fha772

posted on 1/5/12 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
Looks like the car has the suspension mounting and drawbar plates welded to the chassis so you just bolt them on, hitch it up, and off you go.

I agree with Mr O, it looks like they jack the back of the car up, and bolt the 2 suspension units on, then lift the front and bolt the drawbar on.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=6743&start=105

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.