Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone fancy a free carbon airbox?
orton1966

posted on 29/5/12 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone fancy a free carbon airbox?

Here痴 the deal, despite my best intensions I知 not making much headway on my own car-project but whilst the big one is on hold I壇 like to have a smaller project to play with, the one I have in mind is an airbox for BEC type cars.

I知 thinking, large capacity, like the bikes original but better shaped to suit the car installation. Ideally making it as universal or at least as adaptable as possible. Obviously in the longer term I知 thinking there might be a market for them.

So what I知 looking for is someone close to Nottingham with a 7-type car and one of the more common bike engine installations R1, zx10, Fireblade etc.

1. We値l meet up, scratch our heads, probably have a beer, take some measurements and then sketch out some ideas.
2. I値l then go away and mock something up, bring it back and we値l repeat step one
3. After any final mods, I値l make the moulds and the carbon part and we値l try to fit it.
4. If it needs any final adjustment, mount痴 etc we値l get those sorted and then it痴 yours

That痴 it, no catch, apart from the fact the moulds and design remain my property. Composites are my game so I know what I知 doing, this is just something I fancy doing that might have a potential future market but this first one will just be for the fun and challenge of doing it

Jon Ison

posted on 29/5/12 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
If you want to travel to j29 pf the M1 then I have a busa BEC you could play with ?
maccmike

posted on 29/5/12 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Im not too far from you, zzr1100 engine. currently using standard bike airbox. I make awesome bru's too
TimC

posted on 29/5/12 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
I will provide your beer, food and somewhere to stay if you fancy a trip to sunny Gloucestershire!

Flick

posted on 29/5/12 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Hi................

I have been thinking the past few weeks about what to do regarding airbox on a hayabusa engine - its mid engined so not sure its really what you are looking for, but I do live in Nottingham.

However, seeing as your local, could do with getting in touch regarding some other composite work I need doing.

Thanks Matt

Steve Hignett

posted on 29/5/12 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
Of course, there's always option number three (or whatever number I can count up to on my mutilated hands...)

I have an airbox mould for sale if people are interested???

Please U2U if you require Pics/further details...
As it says <--- I got'd stuff for sale, innit...

big_l

posted on 29/5/12 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
hi im just out side notts and have a mnr vortx with a hayabusa engine im defo up for the air box its something i wouldnt mind trying out...

on daytuners rollers my current piper cross px600 is loseing me 10 bhp at the wheels

give me a buzz mate 07737814426

cheers leon

Check out my blog mnrvortxhayabusa@blogspot.com

Hellfire

posted on 30/5/12 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
I'm potentially interested in this too. We have an MK Indy with a ZX12R engine. We were previously in the process of fabricating an aluminium airbox but came grinding to a halt after we'd almost fabricated it because the aluminium we used is quite thin and I can't figure out a suitable method of attaching the ends to make it air-tight. A composite airbox sounds ideal and it wouldn't be difficult to finish off what we have and use it for a mould.

Nottingham isn't too far away, so give me a shout if you fancy taking this on and we'll make arrangements to meet up.

Phil

Custardpants

posted on 30/5/12 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
If you want any pictures of the Busa Reverie airbox let me know - haven't had it on the rollers but it seems to work very well.

My suggestion would be to make the box with an adaptor for 100mm hose and sell it with a naca ram air duct.

tcr

posted on 31/5/12 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
iv got an ally airbox made by mk you can take measurements from its got all the mounts and censor bungs !!! im in mansfield

MK MIDI ZX10R
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4393256076054.2182513.1427988207&type=1&l=64c91c3c17
why isnt anything simple!!!
torquetune.co.uk
nrpexhausts.co.uk

Thurbs

posted on 1/6/12 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like something i've been trying to do for ages but don't have the composite experience !!
I have a aries locoblade with a 94 blade engine if your interested and only at Ashby de la zouch, not to far away.
I also do a mean bacon sandwich and fridge is full of beer !!
Let me know if your interested
Andy

twybrow

posted on 1/6/12 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
I have one of these moulds I built already. It produces 3 parts, the airbox, the lid, and a sepaerate inlet to be added where ever you want it.

Below are a couple of shots of my plug, just after it was gel coated, and the laminate begun - it gives a feel for the final airbox design.

Much like the OP, I had planned to make some more of these to recoup some of the cost (it takes a lot of time and effort to make a decent plug/mould)...

I just would not want the OP to go to the time and expense in learning and applying the knowledge, to make something that already exists in several places. Persoanlly, I would suggest that a standard Locost compatible boot box would be a great first project. Also, diffusers seem very popular at the moment, so there is probably mileage in looking at them too.... Just my 2p worth.

Orton - if you do decide to press ahead, I am happy to answer any questions you may have.

avagolen

posted on 1/6/12 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
Hi All, just my twopence worth.

Another locoster has recently made an reasonable airbox and documented it on here
very recently. His username is 'gingerprince'.

I have a Zetec with ZX6 carbs and will be very interested in manufacturing/buying (locost prices)
when I start to get the engine tuned.

If anyone does start a supply of universal light, cheap, effective boxes, I would be very interested.

Len

The Answer for everything, but never the last word....

ceebmoj

posted on 4/6/12 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by avagolen
Another locoster has recently made an reasonable airbox and documented it on here

Do you have a link my serch did not show anything.

twybrow

posted on 4/6/12 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ceebmoj
quote:
Originally posted by avagolen

Do you have a link my serch did not show anything.

Making it....

Testing it....

avagolen

posted on 4/6/12 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, If you do a search for Username gingerprince, the thread is titled 'Whilst the weather's so cr4p... '

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=169982

I think this is the thread - not really sure how it works.

Len

[Edited on 4/6/12 by avagolen]

The Answer for everything, but never the last word....

iiyama

posted on 5/6/12 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=135811&page=1

Have a look here....may be of some help?

If its broke, fix it. If it aint broke, take it apart and find out how it works!

Hellfire

posted on 19/6/12 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
Orton1966, you have U2U......

Phil

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content ゥ 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [ゥ 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.