Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Prometheus ....
Jasper

posted on 9/6/12 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
Prometheus ....

Well, what do we think anybody that has seen it?

I was rather dissappointed with the story and script tbh, though seeing it at the IMAX did make for an amazing visual and auditory treat.

It was just too predictable and 'Hollywood', too much Starship Troopers and not enough 2001 or original Alien. I think Scott really messed up with this one, he had the chance to make another classic sci-fi and missed. Too many glaring plot holes, too many stupid and predicatable crew members, too much stupid behaviour by what are meant to be the very best people available just wound me up.

It was meant to be about the 'birth' of mankind and should have been much more engaging and mysterious.

The set designs were pretty amazing though and tied in nicely with the original Alien, and Fassbender was great as the android.

That was my most anticipated movie of the year too

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

nib1980

posted on 9/6/12 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
ok yopu said whats wrong with it, now how would you have done it differently?
Jasper

posted on 9/6/12 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
Now if I was paid as much as Ridley Scott I'm sure I'd be able to give you a good answer to that - all I know was that I had a feeling of being underwhelmed and mildly irritated by the script, without the stunning 3D IMAX visuals, which were totally awesome, it would have been an even bigger let down. There were parts of it that made no sense towards the story and added nothing, and other parts that were just wasted. It was just a bit of a mess, whereas both Blade Runner and Alien were almost perfect in their story and script and wasted nothing.

Have you seen it?

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

flibble

posted on 9/6/12 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
Havn't seen it yet but may well do, especially if you can assure me it's not shot entirely in blue and orange like most other 'blockbusters' of recent times?
It's about time the colour grading fad died out

jollygreengiant

posted on 9/6/12 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
Not seen it yet, waiting till the DVD comes out so that I can watch it without paying the rip off prices of my not so local cinema, where it might get spoil by some numpty in front or behind spoiling it or having to pay rip off prices for any food or drink that I might want. Also If I HAVE to go for a call of nature (age related, now I know how my mother felt and why she made the comments that she did make), I can just put it on pause and go.

Other than that, its basicallly just brain candy. A good film will have a few 'holes', it leaves room for prequels and sequels so that the holes could be filled. As for the premise of the film, I thought it was meant to be about the reason why the film Alien was made, i.e. how come the 'synthetic' knew about the what and why the ship went to that planet in the first place, because he (the synthetic) WAS aware of the 'Alien's' existence and had command overides to help with the collection of a specimen.

[Edited on 9/6/12 by jollygreengiant]

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

scootz

posted on 9/6/12 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
Scott lost his 'edge' around the time of Gladiator (over-rated pile of poo!).

It's Evolution Baby!

snakebelly

posted on 9/6/12 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
Saw it the day it came out 7 1/2 out of 10 at most just didn't seem to have a decent plot or character pool, all a bit predictable and the ending was obviously designed with a equal in mind.
RichieW

posted on 9/6/12 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
I've not seen the film but listened to a radio interview with Ridley Scott on the BBC. They asked him if he would ever return to the film (Prometheus). He indicated that in future he might do a directors cut. He has done this before with Bladerunner. Maybe he isnt happy with the cut that the studio released. There is probably a lot of the plot and story left on the cutting room floor
bobthebuilder

posted on 9/6/12 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
Yes i watched this in 3d the other day as was very dissapointed.
alien it wasnt. but just about watchable.

Chippy

posted on 9/6/12 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
It's just entertainment guys, escapeism, not some Shakespear play, (most of which are bloody boring), veiw it as such and it's not half bad, (but maybe a quarter bad). I however thought it was fairly good, but then I am easily pleased. Cheers Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

Irony

posted on 9/6/12 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
Being a huge sci-fi fan I was almost giddy with excitement when this was a announced. Saw it last night and came away very sad. I feel the original Alien and Aliens are the scariest movies around but Prometheus was in my opinion just gory and not scary. The plots got huge holes in it and it just doesn't seem to mesh somehow. I just went through the whole movie thinking 'why are they doing that, why is the blue man so angry, why did the fella at the beginning die, why are there so few links to the Alien movies?'. To many questions.....
violentblue

posted on 10/6/12 at 05:39 AM Reply With Quote
read spoilers on the internet, mistake. killed what little mystery there was in this movie. Might have found it more interesting if I didn't know it was supposed to be linked to the "Alien" series.
not worth the price of a ticket, wait till is out on DVD or better yet Netflix.

[Edited on 10/6/12 by violentblue]

a few pics of my other projects

bobinspain

posted on 10/6/12 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
It's got a lot to live up to.
I've watched Bladerunner around 30 times (in various cuts), read P.K.D's 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?' which inspired the film, and have a copy of 'Future Noir' The Making of Blade Runner by Paul M Sammon on my bookshelf, (generally regarded as the seminal work on the subject).
Sad barst' I know !!

[Edited on 10/6/12 by bobinspain]

brookie

posted on 10/6/12 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
been to watch this today i would say average film not worth the £18 i paid for the 3d
mad4x4

posted on 10/6/12 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
Say it last tuesday - I'd give it about 5 out of 10..... we saw it in 3D and it was a poor attempt at Alien or simliar....

Dull, not very fast paced, Only real 3d "special effect" was the crash at the though they could have done better in 3D. Nothing real jumps out of the screen at you!

Yep Dull

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.