Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Which breakdown provider is the normal choice ?
steve m

posted on 20/8/12 at 12:29 AM Reply With Quote
Which breakdown provider is the normal choice ?

As i plan on getting my car back on the road, todayand breakdown cover would be a good idea!

What is the best?

AA ??

RAC ?

Green flag ??

any others i dont know off

any feedback would be appreciated

regards

steve

Slimy38

posted on 20/8/12 at 04:41 AM Reply With Quote
I've been with rescuemycar.com for the past few years, they've been the cheapest option to cover two drivers, two cars and a bike with full UK cover. I think it's about £70 at the moment for all the cover I need?

In terms of call out, I've had them out a few times and it's on average about forty minutes. My other half hasn't needed it yet, but with two sprogs in the car most of the time I suspect she might get preferential treatment.

The RAC is by far the best if you're a Tesco Clubcard point collector.

Wheels244

posted on 20/8/12 at 05:48 AM Reply With Quote
RAC for me.

I've been with them for quite a few years.
Me and my wife are covered driving or riding anything.
I've used them twice - recovered both times, once following an RTC on the A1 and once when the wheel bearing
went on my Discovery on the way to a trackday.
No complaints - although they do subcontract a lot of the recovery work to local firms - that doesn't bother
me so long as they've got a recovery truck and get me or my wife home.

britishtrident

posted on 20/8/12 at 05:51 AM Reply With Quote
The AA are now a total rip-off first year is fairly cheap then the charges creep up, I also suspect they sell addresses and phone numbers to junk mail and cols caller lists as since we left the number we get has dropped dramatically.

Green Flag are good particularly so if you can do a package deal with your insurance,

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

steve m

posted on 20/8/12 at 05:58 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys,

I have been ripped off from the AA for years. and thought i would change, RAC looks good, but i wont do anything hasty yet

regards

steve

mad-butcher

posted on 20/8/12 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
strange you mention that Steve, think our renewal for wife and I was £200 + for everything been with them 16 years wife phoned them and said we were canceling, Oh sorry your entitled to a 25% discount + free keycare
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gingerprince

posted on 20/8/12 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
I use GEM Assist. Pay about 100 quid for personal cover for me and the Mrs. Covers kit cars too, they've recovered me twice so far. You can pay less and recover your money for recovery after paying the man - more like an insurance policy. Can't fault them. Only downside they don't do European cover as standard so might not be right if you jolly abroad much.
GeoffT

posted on 20/8/12 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
One good thing about the AA is that they will recover from breakdowns (not accidents...!) at trackdays, which was very useful for me when the 'k' decided to split another liner at Abingdon last year. Having relay, they took myself and the 7 back home, no problem.

I think they may be the only breakdown agents to do this, but if you know of others I'd be glad to hear about it.....

MikeR

posted on 20/8/12 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
I was with the AA for years - got a bit frustrated at how much it cost, especially when the misses got her breakdown cover for a lot less via the insurance. Looked round and went with greenflag saving a fortune. When it came to renewal I asked how much it would cost to put the misses car on the policy. Turned out it cost 15 quid extra to put us both on an 'any car' policy with recover, home start and get you to your destination.

Haven't tried it yet but its half the price off the AA covering just me - perhaps the saving will become apparent when i try to use it but as I only used the AA once in 10 years .... i doubt i'll be too upset.

everest

posted on 20/8/12 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
Brake down cover

HI,
We are in the AA , Both through work and for the tow car. Response time was about 3/4 hr on the two times we needed them.

Hope this helps,
Chris

Slimy38

posted on 20/8/12 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerprince
I use GEM Assist. Pay about 100 quid for personal cover for me and the Mrs. Covers kit cars too, they've recovered me twice so far. You can pay less and recover your money for recovery after paying the man - more like an insurance policy. Can't fault them. Only downside they don't do European cover as standard so might not be right if you jolly abroad much.

This would have been my second choice provider, I have no issue with paying up front and claiming back.

owelly

posted on 20/8/12 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
I've been with Brittania for years. I have personal cover for me and swmbo which covers us for any car we're in as driver or passenger, plus my daily driver is covered along with anyone driving it. Think its about £70.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
owelly

posted on 20/8/12 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.britanniarescue.com/cover_options/

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

40inches

posted on 20/8/12 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
Been with RAC for 10 years, don't think you could get better service. The auxiliary belt snapped on the SAAB 9-5 last month, a barsteward to replace, RAC turned up within 1/2hr and fitted a new one at the roadside, for the cost of the belt.
Son's motorbike refused to start, there within 10mins and fixed it.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.