Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT : Moral Work Issue
mad4x4

posted on 22/8/12 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
OT : Moral Work Issue

I have been on secondment to Company B for 4 1/2 Years, and am now one of the main engineers

Company A has won a big contract and also has a lot of work on and they are now thinking about breaking the secondment contract with company B.

1) Do I accept every thing and move back to Company A.

or

2)Become staff at Company B ( Think they might offer that), and and wee off Company A.

If I choose Option 1 then I have a nice commute, earn same as i'm on now, possible work away a bit more (nature of my work), also though there is no promotion options at the moment so I get stuck in a rut.

[Edited on 22/808/12 by mad4x4]

[Edited on 22/808/12 by mad4x4]

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

blakep82

posted on 22/8/12 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
2 hours more (the difference between the 2 jobs) travelling a day, 5 days a week? extra 10 hours travelling a week, the cost of that must be more than the extra 5 hours a week work you do?
I'd go back to job A myself i think, assuming the job itself is the same, but don't burn bridges with job B, you might like them to remember you IF things don't got well with A

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Irony

posted on 22/8/12 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
I know that 3 hours commute would wee me off.

I also think that with hard work and diligence even a job with no prospects can become a job with prospects. If its a small family business even better because you can carve a position for yourself and get noticed.

Thats what I did. I work in a company that designs/builds signs and exhibitions. I started working in the print room but I pushed and pushed the exhibition design side harder and harder. Now I run my own design department with 2 full time staff and I own 2.5% of the business. Not much but if the MD sold it for 10mill I'd be laughing. Took nine years though.....

designer

posted on 22/8/12 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
Back to 'A'
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Heather

posted on 22/8/12 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
I have read your post thoroughly and it seems to me that you have answered your own question by writing it down... option 1, which for what it is worth would be my choice, less travel costs, more of your own time and regarding promotion things can change.
Slimy38

posted on 22/8/12 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know whether this would apply, but if I was in a similar situation for the employer I am with, I wouldn't be legally able to work for company B within six months of leaving company A. There are very strict 'poaching' terms and conditions in our contracts, as we do work for some very large companies who are in very similar businesses.

But even if you can legally do it, it sounds like staying with company A would work better.

roadrunner

posted on 22/8/12 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
I would go with plan 5,,,,,,
And go to the pub for a pint.
But don't burn any bridges on the way.

ashg

posted on 22/8/12 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
find out what company b are paying company a. then ask for that as paye at company b, if they go for it you will get option 3 without the risk. if they say no drop to option 3. if company b dont go for either option go back to company A.

if company b want you that bad they will pay up. it's always better to barter for maximum pay when ever you get the opportunity at the beginning as its like getting blood out of a stone once your are an employee. other terms and conditions are much easier to haggle for than money once you are working there full time.

[Edited on 22/8/2012 by ashg]

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

contaminated

posted on 22/8/12 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I'd go with Option 1. I would say though that I don't think this a moral issue, it's purely financial. This sort of thing happens all the time - you have to look after Number 1. If you can do this without upsetting anyone then clearly it's nicer. I have one of my staff seconded to another firm at the moment. I made the other firm sign a contract stating that if they poach him we'll be compensated.

Tiger Super Six Independent
www.southernkitcars.com

Dangle_kt

posted on 22/8/12 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
I hope company B or company A doesn't ever come on this forum - with the info supplied it wouldn't be hard for them to figure out what you are on about, and if its commercially sensitive info you might end up with neither job.

In regards to the actual question - I leanred a long time ago, when it comes to business and job decisions, morals only work one way - dont get stiffed.

[Edited on 22/8/12 by Dangle_kt]

David Jenkins

posted on 22/8/12 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
Just remember that as a contractor you will need to earn about twice as much as you would as a PAYE employee - you have 2 lots of NI to pay (employees and employers), sick leave and holiday time has to be paid out of your own earnings, plus more personal time to look after your books in order to keep HMRC happy. Oh - and annual accountants fees. And less secure employment...

I speak from experience... an employer who values you, steady pay and a short commute have a high value in my book...

Liam

posted on 23/8/12 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt
I hope company B or company A doesn't ever come on this forum - with the info supplied it wouldn't be hard for them to figure out what you are on about, and if its commercially sensitive info you might end up with neither job.

They're probably not really called Company A and Company B, and mad4x4 probably isn't the OP's real name, so probably unlikely to be a problem.

I was in a similar position myself recently, although for me the choice was a no brainer as Company A were giving me hassle and Company B was where I really wanted to be for both career and personal reasons. But it was a difficult process to go through and ultimately impossible to avoid pissing off A a bit. I obviously had to initiate discussion with B, but A was pissed off I didn't, as an employee of A, conduct everything through them. But you don't tell your current boss you're looking for another job, do you?! In the end, B told A 'look, this guy wants to work for us, and we're not going to say no, so like it or lump it.' My contract and the agreement between A and B was free of anti-poaching stuff, but you better check yours - B might be unable to offer you a position.

For you though, it seems staying with A wouldn't be too bad an option, so maybe you should do that at least short term. This allows you to escape the potentially awkward threesome of being seconded from A to B, then in the future if you decide to change your mind, you can leave A for B in the 'normal' way without creating ripples and risking burning any bridges.

[Edited on 23/8/12 by Liam]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.