Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mains network adapters
Davey D

posted on 9/10/12 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
Mains network adapters

Does anyone have much experience with the Mains network adapters? I'd like to get network access in my garage, but it is just out of reach of my wifi network :-( the next easiest solution I could think of was a pair of Mains network adapters, but im not sure if it will work. The sockets in the house are on a ring main through the house, but the power in the garage is on a different ring main. Obviously they both are connected to the same consumer unit, but I don't know how far down the line the signal will travel? Does anyone know if this will work?
SteveWalker

posted on 9/10/12 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
You can also get a stronger wifi signal using a directional antenna - I set up a link (not wifi, but similar frequencies and ranges) over a couple of hundred metres using a couple of Yagi arrays. You can probably even get the standard setup to work with a couple of home-made reflectors to make the signal at least partially directional.
violentblue

posted on 9/10/12 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
if they share a common ground wire then it should work.

you could always get a network repeater, or range extender.

a few pics of my other projects

gremlin1234

posted on 9/10/12 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Does anyone know if this will work?

they should work in that environment,
they will not work across phases on 3 phase supply.

you can get some with built in wifi access points too, which might be neater

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 9/10/12 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
I keep looking at this - although I'm likely to just move the internet connection.

Seems you're better off going for the 500mb versions & don't expect the speed it says on the side, expect something like 50 to 70%. Also the more devices on the line the slower it gets & some things can cause a lot of interference (but not always what you'd expect like fridges).

avagolen

posted on 9/10/12 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
I tried a pair a few years ago into the garage. Worked fine for what I needed.

As already said, as long as they are on the same phase, and on the same side of the meter, no problems.

The Answer for everything, but never the last word....

jossey

posted on 9/10/12 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
I have used the wins network things. Not great but ok I guess. I then went to a network extender which was better. Then I dug up the garden n laid cable which is the best yet.

Ip camera works 100% now n I have a wireless eg work in garage.

Although since I got the new wireless router I have full signal around garage.

Just ay soe outdoor rj45 n have dne with it :-)

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coozer

posted on 9/10/12 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, i've just got a pair of these and they work champion..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-PA411KIT-AV500-Powerline-Adapter/dp/B0084Y9N3O/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

whitestu

posted on 9/10/12 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
We've got the same ones as Coozer.

The one feeding into the mains from the router is on an extension lead downstairs and the one linked to the PC is in a bedroom upstairs where wireless was weak and they work great.

Stu

Andi

posted on 9/10/12 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Yep, i've just got a pair of these and they work champion..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-PA411KIT-AV500-Powerline-Adapter/dp/B0084Y9N3O/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

Getting a pair for my birthday tomorrow (I think) so a well timed post for me.

Andi

hillbillyracer

posted on 9/10/12 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
It's what I use too, works great working things like iplayer no problem. But just tried on the same ring main, I've wondered if it would reach the workshop but it's long way to the consumer unit & again to the workshop!
britishtrident

posted on 9/10/12 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
Even a basic Devolo Homeplug should do what you want, the units come with a setup program so you can set the units up and set up encryption, speed even with the slowest home plug units will be faster than your internet connection. The units function exactly as a normal as a normal RJ45 ethernet connection, you can plug any normal ethernet device. You can also plug an ether net hub to give more connections but the best way is to use these units is to connect the remote unit wifi access point/range extender. Maplin were doing a special deal on the basic Develo Homeplug starter pack but the deal may have ended.

If you buy a wift repeater or access point look for one with a screw on antenna as you can then use a high gain or or remote aerial.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

loggyboy

posted on 9/10/12 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
I just hard wired my garage as I also wanted an aerial feed from the loft to get more digital channels.

£15m cable from ebuyer was £6. But i guess it depends on where your router etc is located.

Mistral Motorsport

splitrivet

posted on 9/10/12 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
Bung a cable in, Ive allways got end of reels, yours for the cost of postage and a jiffy bag, bonus is it will 100% work.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

40inches

posted on 10/10/12 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
Had a set for about 3 years now, use them for connecting the freesat box and TV to the net, streams HD video with no problems.
Absolutely no difference to the wired system I replaced, except no messy wiring

ChrisW

posted on 10/10/12 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
My experience of these units is the opposite - they were absolutely awful! Poor speeds, connection dropping all the time, etc.

Hard wiring is the best choice - it must be, otherwise offices wouldn't do it - but if that's not possible I'd suggest a radio link is the best way.

http://www.msdist.co.uk/product_Ubiquiti_Nanobridge_22_5GHz.php

^^ probably overkill unless you have a big garden, but will certainly do the job. The 5GHz operation means it will be out of the way of 'normal' wifi, bluetooth, video senders, etc.

I've used the airgrid system (big brother of the one linked above) to do a 13km link... yes 13 kilometers... and it worked brilliantly with 40mbps throughput.

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jeffw

posted on 10/10/12 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
My experience is the same as Chris's....terrible. In fact have several of these devices sat in my 'junk' draw where they have been replaced with Cat 5e.

40inches

posted on 11/10/12 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
Perhaps it's down to the mains wiring, they work best straight into a socket (not an extension lead) and on the same ring main.
So in the same room should be ok.
If you go on ebuyer there are lots of positive reviews. But like anything, it's all down to personal experience. Init?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.