Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Xflow low oil pressure, and possibly water in the oil
steve m

posted on 15/11/12 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
Xflow low oil pressure, and possibly water in the oil

Hi Guys,

I aquired another xflow, after mullering the old one big time,
the replacement engine was quickley installed, after new head gasket etc and got running, and was ok

A few days ago my oil pressure was quite low, 30psi (ish at 3k revs,) and all my other xflows ran at 60psi+ at 2k
so after a bit of investigation, i seem to have water in the oil
The dipstick level is also a 1/2" higher
i also have the following readings on compression with engine pretty hot, and wide open throttle
No 1 13 bar
No 2 15 bar
No 3 14 bar
No 4 15.5 bar

Tomorrow i will do a cold compression test, to see the differences

Now to me, apart from a headgasket, or warped head, how could i get water in the oil?

My plan is, to change the head and gaskets to "the spare" and retry,

any other comments ?? to try and put a smile back on my face

regards
steve

renetom

posted on 15/11/12 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
oil

Hi
The obvious seems to be head gasket , there's only 2 liquids in an engine oil & water .
Check the head is not warped, wilst you have it off check the valves for leaks (petrol test)
If the gasket has gone between the cylinders it may account for the pressure readings.
Oil pump ???, maybe worth a look.
Good luck
René

steve m

posted on 15/11/12 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
ta,

i know!!

chillis

posted on 15/11/12 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
Hi Guys,

I aquired another xflow, after mullering the old one big time,
the replacement engine was quickley installed, after new head gasket etc and got running, and was ok

A few days ago my oil pressure was quite low, 30psi (ish at 3k revs,) and all my other xflows ran at 60psi+ at 2k
so after a bit of investigation, i seem to have water in the oil
The dipstick level is also a 1/2" higher
i also have the following readings on compression with engine pretty hot, and wide open throttle
No 1 13 bar
No 2 15 bar
No 3 14 bar
No 4 15.5 bar

Tomorrow i will do a cold compression test, to see the differences

Now to me, apart from a headgasket, or warped head, how could i get water in the oil?

My plan is, to change the head and gaskets to "the spare" and retry,

any other comments ?? to try and put a smile back on my face

regards
steve

Ford quote these values for oil pressure - 35lbf/in (2.5bar) at 2000 rev/min hot and relief valve opens 57 - 67lbf/in (4.0 - 4.7bar) Obviously an uprated oil pump would read higher.

They also quote 11 -13bar (160 - 190lbf/in) compression at starter cranking speed
TBH if any fluid has leaked into the cylinders then the comp test may not show up. A leakdown test would probably show up a head gasket problem but its not kit most people would have.

Assuming you don't have an oil to water type oil cooler then it seems likely the issue is head gasket.
Was the head gasket you used of known good quality? I know of a number of people recently who have used 'cheap' head gaskets (from ebay/motor factors) for Pinto's that have failed almost immediatly and your problem does look like it fits this modus operandii

Scrupulously clean gasket faces for the block and head (I'm sure you did this) check the faces with a decent straight edge if you have/can borrow one and a good quality head gasket.
Check your torque wrench they do go out of calibration over time especially if left 'wound on'.
Might be worth checking the head bolts arn't bottoming out (can't imagine why they would unless both head and block have had some mental amounts skimmed off - seems unlikely but worth checking)

Cleaning out the contaminated oil could also be quite a challenge

Not much the put a smile on your face I'm affraid

Never under estimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

Alan M

posted on 16/11/12 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by renetom
Hi
The obvious seems to be head gasket , there's only 2 liquids in an engine oil & water .
Check the head is not warped, wilst you have it off check the valves for leaks (petrol test)
If the gasket has gone between the cylinders it may account for the pressure readings.
Oil pump ???, maybe worth a look.
Good luck
René

Is it definitely water? There is a 3rd liquid in an engine: Fuel!

Perhaps you have a fuel cut off valve stuck or a faulty pressure regulator and are filling the sump with petrol

Has your coolant level dropped?

steve m

posted on 16/11/12 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
Good spot!
But im 99% sure its not fuel, perhaps i will add a spark plug to the sump, and it could fire from the bottom as well

strange thing is, that the oil isnt very contaminated, and the water level in the water system hasnt really moved
But the dipstick has a white residue, but the oil filler cap does not ?

Also the oil catch tank was full of a creamy oily watery mess, but that could of been from my last "dramatic" blow up a couple of months ago, as i dont think i cleaned the catch tank out

so now im wondering, if the engine has actually been sucking this watery mess up ?

Alan M

posted on 16/11/12 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
Can you beg, steal or borrow some block testing fluid?

Have a look at: http://www.blockchek.com/instructions.htm

A cooling system flush and oil flush will help to get rid of contaminates from your previous disaster

chillis

posted on 16/11/12 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
Good spot!
But im 99% sure its not fuel, perhaps i will add a spark plug to the sump, and it could fire from the bottom as well

strange thing is, that the oil isnt very contaminated, and the water level in the water system hasnt really moved
But the dipstick has a white residue, but the oil filler cap does not ?

Also the oil catch tank was full of a creamy oily watery mess, but that could of been from my last "dramatic" blow up a couple of months ago, as i dont think i cleaned the catch tank out

so now im wondering, if the engine has actually been sucking this watery mess up ?

Could any coolant have got into the sump when you did the gasket change? That might have been enough to give you these symptoms - I have observed milky fluid in catch tanks before due to the crankcase fumes also carrying over a little moisture (there is a little that can occur with condensation after you've parked up for the day - its why motor oil has agent to capture moisture and what can make it look creamy) so I'd not be unduly worried by this unless it was a lot in a short period of time.

If the head gasket was leaking then all the oil would start looking a beigy colour, did when my H.G. failed.

Perhaps give rocker cover, dipstick tube etc a good clean up and replace oil and filter and see how you go?

[Edited on 16/11/12 by chillis]

Never under estimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

steve m

posted on 16/11/12 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
This engine, is a totaly new one, and has been upside down sump off etc, so definatly no water in the engine pre instalation
compression today on a cold engine are pretty well the same,
So head is coming off, and another one to be fitted, to eliminate the head from the equasion

what make of gasket sets should i go for, as the one i used was Payen and the ones ive always used
another possible problem could of been my torque wrench, as ive always suspected it to be wrong

Steve

[Edited on 16/11/12 by steve m]

johnemms

posted on 16/11/12 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
Get the engine 80+ nice & hot to start to get the moisture
out of the oil & engine block..
Constant on and off and low miles will cause condensation inside the engine
especialy with this cold damp weather..

Just a thought...

Own chassis & Build - First time pass!!
"7's" aren't really "cars", they are 'experiences"

britishtrident

posted on 16/11/12 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
Head gasket failure on a kent xflo engine is rare, I never encountered it in the heyday of the xflow.

If the water in the sump is coming from a blown head gasket or crack in the block or head the coolant level would have gone down significantly
Generally if no water loss or oil in the water then the head gasket is Ok, the only exception this is where the gasket blows out between cylinders which used to be very common on70s era BMC A series 1275 engines.

Head gasket failures rarely show in change in compression test results the only exception to this when the gasket blows out between cylinders in which case the engine would run noticeably roughly and be down on power.

One of the major clues to a blown head gasket is that carbon deposits on the spark plug, combustion chamber and piston gets steam cleaned off.
Assuming the all the crankcase and rocker cover breathers are clear and working correctly my first suspicion is the water is getting into the oil by codensation, make 100% sure the thermostat is controlling the water temperature to at least 84c working temp.
Also if an oil cooler is fitted tape it over in current coldish ambient temperature conditions it should be taped over

[Edited on 16/11/12 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.