Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cant afford something!? It's against your human rights!
tegwin

posted on 24/3/13 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
Cant afford something!? It's against your human rights!

So I read this... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-21912618

And it got me thinking.... I would quite like a Ferrari so I am going to visit the dealership when it opens in the morning. If they ask me to prove if I can afford one I will take them to court because it's against my human rights to deny me something because I cant afford it....

Anyone else find that BBC report quite angering?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

r1_pete

posted on 24/3/13 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
The question as to who pays the £12,900 if the student can't remains unanswered.... and bringing human rights into the economic argument is going to accelerate this country into its benkrupt 3rd world status....
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 24/3/13 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
The question as to who pays the £12,900 if the student can't remains unanswered.... and bringing human rights into the economic argument is going to accelerate this country into its benkrupt 3rd world status....

It's making me want to accelerate my fist into the smug little gits face to be quiet honest.

JoelP

posted on 24/3/13 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
Imagine if you tried to get a phone contract and they wanted you to prove you had enough money for the full year. It's the same concept, he's not trying to get it free, just saying that he can't prove he can afford it - which is totally different to not being able to afford it. If he doesn't pay up on time, I assume he gets kicked out.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

blakep82

posted on 24/3/13 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
Imagine if you tried to get a phone contract and they wanted you to prove you had enough money for the full year. It's the same concept, he's not trying to get it free, just saying that he can't prove he can afford it - which is totally different to not being able to afford it. If he doesn't pay up on time, I assume he gets kicked out.

Yep, thats how I see it too. Not at all like thieving pikeys saying its their right to take the contents of your garden, but instead saying he can't prove, and shouldnt have to prove he can afford it, it should just be expected that he can. If he cant, then he's kicked off the course.
Imagine having to send in bank statement, proof of income etc when you want car insurance, mobile phone contracts, broadband, satellite or cable tv, etc

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

violentblue

posted on 24/3/13 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
If I understand the article correctly, it was Living expenses that was the issue, not tuition.
to borrow the allegory, its like going to a Ferrari dealership, your offer to purchase is refused because you cant prove you can afford the gas and insurance.
rather stupid I think, as long as he pays the tuition and meets all academic criteria, what business is it of theirs if he wants to live on the street.

a few pics of my other projects

Brook_lands

posted on 24/3/13 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
Imagine having to send in bank statement, proof of income etc when you want car insurance, mobile phone contracts, broadband, satellite or cable tv, etc

Isn't that what the credit ratings agencies effectively do?

[Edited on 24/3/13 by Brook_lands]

big-vee-twin

posted on 24/3/13 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
Cambridge has rules about taking jobs while you study i.e. you are not allowed to work a job while studying there, on the basis that it effects academic performance which obviously they want to preserve as it is what sets them apart.

So they make sure potential students can afford to pay for their living expenses before letting them in, nothing to do with tuition fees.

Presumabily Oxford has the same.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

morcus

posted on 24/3/13 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
Look at it another way, how would you feel if you were applying for a post Graduate course, didn't get it, and then the person that did dropped out?

I'm a strong believer that organisations like Universities should have the rights to decide who does and doesn't get places (Obviously as long as they think it's actually relevent) as they want people to be sucessful and it's in there intrest to make sure the people they take on will get through the course.

If you've ever paid your car insurance monthly, or had a phone contract, they will have credit checked you, and that will be for totals in hundreds. £13K isn't an amount you can just pull from the ether, as someone else said you can't work and do a degree like that, either he has the support or he doesn't and the only reason I can think off for not providing evidence is either purely to be a pain or because who ever is supplying it is committing some form of fraud.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

JoelP

posted on 24/3/13 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Which ever way you see this issue, hopefully we can all see the amusing aspect of tegwins post - complaining about poor reporting whilst misrepresenting the issue himself! Its not about the chap trying to get his accomodation free, so the ferrari analogy doesnt hold.

Macbeast

posted on 24/3/13 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
The human right he's asking for is the right to default on his debts.

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

coyoteboy

posted on 24/3/13 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

magine if you tried to get a phone contract and they wanted you to prove you had enough money for the full year. I

That's precisely why most phone contracts are started with a credit check - same principle.

JoelP

posted on 24/3/13 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
You mostly seem to have missed the fact the the £12k is arbitary - it's the colleges estimation of a years living costs, so as such it is not owed to anyone at all. To continue the phone analogy, what if they wanted you to prove you could cover potential data costs of several thousand quid, even if you never intended to go over your data allowance?

What if this chap was planning on staying in the locality with relatives and thus didnt need anything at all for accomodation?

It should also be noted that judgement was reserved in the case, the college decided to change its policy anyway.

RK

posted on 25/3/13 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
Universities are by their very definition, elitist, and sometimes arbitrary. If you don't like one place, go to another, more "accomodating" place, and don't waste the toffs' time. I don't want my elitist higher education watered down. I want all that work I did to make me look markedly "better" than all the other people who couldn't get into the programmes, for whatever reason. You do all these things in order to get a leg up on any competition out there in the big bad world, because you will forever after, be a member of an exclusive club.

Bloody hell; soon enough women will want to go.

cps13

posted on 27/3/13 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RK
Universities are by their very definition, elitist, and sometimes arbitrary.

Surely its always arbitrary?!

I say fair play to him! They said no for a stupid reason and rather than rolling over and accepting it he contested it! He isn't asking to borrow money, he isn't claiming off the government (as far as the article states!) he is simply staying that the colleges form of means testing their applicants is flawed! And clearly they agreed otherwise they wouldn't have agreed a review!

Well done OP

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.