Poll: How many wishbones can a Nisan Note go through in 54,000miles [View Results]

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How many wishbones can a Nisan Note go through in 54,000miles
britishtrident

posted on 20/7/13 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
How many wishbones can a Nisan Note go through in 54,000miles

Daughters Nisan Note how may replacement front wishbones has it required in 54,000 miles ?

[Edited on 20/7/13 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

mookaloid

posted on 20/7/13 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Must be a few or you wouldn't have posted this. I voted 6

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

NigeEss

posted on 20/7/13 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
I went with four.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/7/13 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah I bought the wife an Nissan Almera because my bluebirds have been such sturdy well lasting cars

Huge mistake the almera is a rust bucket in comparison with very poor finish and rust protection, I've seen fiats with better

Currently welding up the front subframe that has holes all over it, seems the quality of the old cars is not there anymore

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chrism

posted on 20/7/13 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Yeah I bought the wife an Nissan Almera because my bluebirds have been such sturdy well lasting cars

Huge mistake the almera is a rust bucket in comparison with very poor finish and rust protection, I've seen fiats with better

Currently welding up the front subframe that has holes all over it, seems the quality of the old cars is not there anymore

Primeras and Micras from the same age have the exact same problem, generally good cars but for some reason the front crossmembers all rot at an alarming rate. You can tell that its a common problem as you used to be able to pickup replacement front crossmembers for about £30 with next day delivery so there was plenty of stock.

----------------------------
A little hard work never killed anyone, but why take the risk!
-----------------------------

daniel mason

posted on 20/7/13 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
steering racks are an issue also with the note. ive seen some battered examples! engines seen ok but wishbones,suspension and racks seem to take a real beating!

britishtrident

posted on 20/7/13 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
So far 6 wishbones --- 5 due to bushes 1 due ball joint + 1 road spring.

The suspension is Reanault ****.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

iceman26

posted on 20/7/13 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
you can get just the bushes no need for full lower arm
iank

posted on 20/7/13 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident

Bah, I put 7

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

big_wasa

posted on 20/7/13 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
I've been replacing the front drop links on the 406 every year for its mot for the last five years.

The rubber just drops to bits. infact all new rubber seems not to last.

Slimy38

posted on 20/7/13 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

My Wife's Almera has recently suffered a broken spring, didn't take much to change it though. No rust on the crossmembers or subframe yet, although I was warned about it with Nissan's.

It absolutely eats through front pads though, I really ought to get the front caliper replaced.

trextr7monkey

posted on 20/7/13 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
I voted 10 because of previous poor past experiences with Mr Nissan's greed and economy with the truth!
Atb
Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/7/13 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
quote:

My Wife's Almera has recently suffered a broken spring, didn't take much to change it though. No rust on the crossmembers or subframe yet, although I was warned about it with Nissan's.

It absolutely eats through front pads though, I really ought to get the front caliper replaced.

Well this Almera has just got two new front wings, both had rusted round the wheel arch, engine bay and underside of bonnet is just matt black base coat with only the outer side done in the metallic paint, personally I think that's a sh£te factory paint standard.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mookaloid

posted on 20/7/13 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I voted 6 first - do I win a prize

SCAR

posted on 21/7/13 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, you win a worn out wishbone

Mazda Premacy requires new drop links every year for the mot. I cant really blame Mazda as most parts from the local motor factor are not original manufacture just cheap copies.

PSpirine

posted on 21/7/13 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
Bushes and ball joints I refuse to buy anything other than genuine parts now, and this is coming from me being a stingy bastttard. Had to swap drop links on a 306 TWICE in a year once. Put genuine ones on and they showed no signs of wear when the engine went many months later.

You would be amazed at the difference in quality. OE-quality motor factor (generic) tends to generally last about 12 months in average use when it comes to bushes, the rubber just disintegrates.

Best way to do it is find out who the actual manufacturer of the genuine parts is and buy those (e.g. for many early 2000 cars VAG parts were made by ZF Lemforder - buy a Lemforder bit for a fraction of the price, and you can see where they actually grind off the VAG logo off the parts - exactly the same bits from the same factory).

Ninehigh

posted on 21/7/13 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
Six in five years worth of driving... I can't say if that's good or bad but this is what I've had to replace on my 9 year old 206 in the past 20k miles:

Clutch
Ball joint/lower suspension arm
3 headlight bulbs
4 tyres

theconrodkid

posted on 21/7/13 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
i have one of them aufully unreliable FIAT punto,s,in the last 4 years he has had 2 wiper blades and a headlight bulb

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

mookaloid

posted on 22/7/13 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
i have one of them aufully unreliable FIAT punto,s,in the last 4 years he has had 2 wiper blades and a headlight bulb

Fiats are good

theconrodkid

posted on 23/7/13 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:Originally posted by theconrodkid

Fiats are good

Fiat,s rock !

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

mcerd1

posted on 23/7/13 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PSpirine
Bushes and ball joints I refuse to buy anything other than genuine parts now, and this is coming from me being a stingy bastttard. Had to swap drop links on a 306 TWICE in a year once. Put genuine ones on and they showed no signs of wear when the engine went many months later.

You would be amazed at the difference in quality. OE-quality motor factor (generic) tends to generally last about 12 months in average use when it comes to bushes, the rubber just disintegrates.

used to go through a rear bush on the front arms of my 106 every ~10k or less
eventually got that upto ~20k by buying OE buses and fitting than at the 'neutral angle' they sit at with the weight on the wheels (its a really pain to fit them this way, but if you don't they are always sitting with a twist on them and the peel/crack much quicker)
so still not great, but I got good at changing them.....

then I got a mk1 focus and discovered it went through a set of drop links every 10k at £30 a pair
but I've since found out that ford have updated the part for both the mk1 (alloy links) and mk1.5 (steel links) - both now get a steel link with a strange looking open plastic ball joint for £54 a side (the pattern parts have not been updated to match)
I eventually bit the bullet and paid for a pair of the fancy new ones - 45k later and they are still good

the same car has also eaten steering racks, went through 3 £120 recon ones before just getting a scrap one for £50, the scrap one has lasted 4 times longer so far...
we now think the racks were actually getting bent and the cheap recon ones only replace seals and bushes (ford sell a recon one for ~£550 that might be better, but its more than the car is worth!)

I have actually replaced the front arms on it too, but that was only because an arm was cheaper than the 2 bushes (the ball joints were still fine) but I can't complain about the life of them, that was its first set at ~110k and 10 years
at 12 years old and 130k of hard miles the car is getting a bit scabby, yet its still got nearly all its original running gear - in fact its only just had its brake pipes and first exhaust section done
I opted to do a clutch, rear drums, front capliers and front shocks to make the car feel better and easier to work on but other than that all I've done was a set of wheel bearings and the brake pads/discs

I'm going to need a new(er) car soon - but all these stories of modern cars car making me think I'm better off which what I've got now

[Edited on 23/7/2013 by mcerd1]

-

Vindi_andy

posted on 23/7/13 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
quote:

Had a spring fail on my 406 and my dad had one go on his 605. Spoke to a guy that worked for peugeot and they knew about it but did nothing. Its where they were hanging they up when they went for coating and they didnt touch in the bit where the hook went so it created an ingress point for moisture.

Guess what, both springs fail in exactly the same place

nick205

posted on 23/7/13 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Clearly you're all driving your cars way to hard

coyoteboy

posted on 23/7/13 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
At the opposite end of the scale - my fathers 1990 535i went to an exporter at nearly 200K miles with the original exhaust and my celica only got replacement drop links after 23 years because the nuts corroded to the point I couldn't get them off - the links themselves were fine lol.

whitestu

posted on 23/7/13 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
I've been trying to remember and I don't think I have ever needed to replace a single balljoint, bush or any other suspension component on any of my cars since I started drving in 1983, with the exception of a spring pan on a '78 Avenger.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.