Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Windows 8 and 3 monitors
Mark Allanson

posted on 11/8/13 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
Windows 8 and 3 monitors

Having got windows 8 running on a SSD, I am now trying to get 3 monitors running, the motherboard has one monitor port (RS232) and the graphics card has 2 (DVI).

The monitors on the DVI's work fine but I cannot get the third one to run from the motherboard. It won't detect in the display settings.

Any ideas?

GeForce GTX 260
Acer M3400 motherboard

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

stevebubs

posted on 11/8/13 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
Disabled in BIOS?
Slimy38

posted on 11/8/13 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
RS232? The 25 pin parallel connection that has been mostly replaced by USB?

Some motherboards switch off their own card when they detect an external card. It might be worth taking a look in the BIOS to see if it is possible.

stevebubs

posted on 11/8/13 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38

[pedant]RS232 is a serial port available in 9 or 25 pins varieties (dual row or pins). Parallel port was something entirely different[/pendant]

(I was assuming he was referring to a VGA port...

[Edited on 11/8/13 by stevebubs]

Mark Allanson

posted on 11/8/13 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
RS232 I mean the D shaped connector, VGA port, I have looked in the BIOS but cannot find any enable/disable relating to graphics, looked in the Nvidia properties for anything similar but nothing.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Slimy38

posted on 11/8/13 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38

[pedant]RS232 is a serial port available in 9 or 25 pins varieties (dual row or pins). Parallel port was something entirely different[/pendant]

(I was assuming he was referring to a VGA port...

[Edited on 11/8/13 by stevebubs]

LOL! I can't even get the geek response right! I did also assume it was the onboard VGA.

Mark, do you know if the onboard actually works? What happens if you remove the graphics card, does the onboard graphics work ok?

The M3400 reference also seems to be the desktop rather than the motherboard, all I can find is a really dumbed down version of the user manual (click start to start, etc). Do you know what motherboard is inside it?

Mark Allanson

posted on 11/8/13 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
The onboard works fine with the graphics card out, I havent tried it on its own though.

The graphics card also has a HDMI port so I have just got a HDMI to DVI adapter from ebay to see if that works

BenTyreman

posted on 11/8/13 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
A lot of boards used to disable the onboard graphics when a PCI-E card was inserted. All the latest boards I have seen have included a BIOS option for "Multi Monitor", which enables the onboard graphics along with a dedicated card. Occasionally, this is dependant on the type of card (i.e. it requires an ATI card rather than an NVIDIA).

A HDMI to DVI converter is unlikely to work. Most graphics cards are only capable of 2 outputs even though they have 3 ports. Using the HDMI is likely to disable one of the DVI outputs. I especially chose my graphics card due to the fact all 3 outputs were usable simultaneously.

Slimy38

posted on 11/8/13 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenTyreman
A lot of boards used to disable the onboard graphics when a PCI-E card was inserted. All the latest boards I have seen have included a BIOS option for "Multi Monitor", which enables the onboard graphics along with a dedicated card. Occasionally, this is dependant on the type of card (i.e. it requires an ATI card rather than an NVIDIA).

The Acer website says the M3400 uses an onboard ATI card, so that may be why it can't work at the same time as the external Nvidia card.

Although I may have found the wrong one when I looked...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.