Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tablets
Mark Allanson

posted on 22/9/13 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Tablets

I have been tasked with buying a tablet for my 13 year old niece, it needs to be less than £100, have wifi, a camera and preferably two, as much memory as possible, android, ...

I don't know anything about these things, can anyone recommend a tablet and supplier (preferably not ebuyer as I know they are cheap, but if anything goes wrong you are on your own)

Thanks
Mark

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Hector.Brocklebank

posted on 23/9/13 at 12:15 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

Sorry but I dont think you are going to get all you want for under a £100.00

Personally I would go with a "refurbished" nexus 7

I have had a kindle HD, a Nook, but ended up with a nexus 7 to read in bed, watch hd movies when i was offshore, and general surfing im sold on the thing, yes there might be cheap non branded android units out there, i tried a chinese one for 79.99 new and was pants it froze all the time, and was sent back

im not ashamed to say im biased now.

ASUS GOOGLE NEXUS 7 TABLET NVIDIA TERGA 3 1.2GHZ 1GB RAM ANDROID 7"' 32GB WIFI 4716659345152 | eBay
SUS GOOGLE NEXUS 7 TABLET NVIDIA TERGA 3 1.2GHZ 1GB RAM ANDROID 7' 32GB WIFI

[Edited on 23/9/2013 by Hector.Brocklebank]

Some people can never handle the truth and always try to shoot the messenger instead of taking an honest look in the mirror (its always easier to blame another than to face reality), but secretly they wish they could grow a pair and be the messenger !!!

cliftyhanger

posted on 23/9/13 at 03:54 AM Reply With Quote
after much faffing etc, it seemed to me that the nexus 7 was the only real choice out there. Check the reviews, the samsung is probably the next best.

I paid £130 I think from pc world after a promo. That was a couple of weeks ago. It is the "old" version.

If you want confirmation, google "best tablet" or whatever, plenty of reviews out there. The cheapy ones will just not do the trick I am afraid. Well they generally work, but all have issues. Like speed.

whitestu

posted on 23/9/13 at 06:52 AM Reply With Quote
My littlest two have these. Link

Hard to beat for the money and have everything on your list, but only one camera. Not quite as slick as a Nexus though.

Stu

britishtrident

posted on 23/9/13 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
The price of the Kindle Fire has just been reduced to £99. Pretty well ideal for kids.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

stevebubs

posted on 23/9/13 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
I bought a Nexus 7 for the Missus when it first came out.

Now everyone in my house has one - including my 6 and 14 year olds.

Last one I bought was c. 100 from Tesco as a refurb.

stevebubs

posted on 23/9/13 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
PS I bought one similar to the Sumvision for my son before the Nexus. It lasted about a month before the USB/charging port detached itself from the motherboard rendering the device useless.
Mark Allanson

posted on 24/9/13 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
One Nexus 7 16gb ordered, thanks to everyones advice

Mark

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

coyoteboy

posted on 24/9/13 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
The only problem with tablets - be prepared to never have a social/family evening ever again. It's too easy for everyone to just sit staring at a screen and not talking!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.