Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cutting a 7.5 diff Question
jacko

posted on 24/9/13 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
Cutting a 7.5 diff Question

Hi All
has anyone cut the extra 1/2ins of the top diff mounting to make a 7 1/2 diff fit in the place of a 7ins diff
I have measured the two types and the only things i can find different are the top mounting and the front pinion is 1/4ins closer to the gearbox making the prop 1/4ins shorter
Thank you for any help you can give me in doing this

Also i have weighed it two types 7ins lsd and a open 71/2 and they are the same
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Gary 7

posted on 24/9/13 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
I altered the chassis bracket to fit a 7.5 rather than cut the diff.Three of the existing mounts are in the correct position ,the top mount passenger side needs cutting off and a new bracket made up. i made a new bracket bolted to chassis then bolt diff to new bracket rather than weld next to fuel tank.If you need to swap back to 7 inch just need a half inch spacer.
CNHSS1

posted on 24/9/13 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
Ive not done as you suggested but seen it do more than a few times and plan to do it on my car when its rebuilt as I have a 7.5 4.27 id like to try whereas I currently have 3.38, 3.62 and 3.9 7" to play with

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

Gary 7

posted on 24/9/13 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
If want to cut it down to fit.Go easy on the angry grinder.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=16701&page=0&contribmessage=none

mcerd1

posted on 25/9/13 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gary 7
I altered the chassis bracket to fit a 7.5 rather than cut the diff.Three of the existing mounts are in the correct position ,the top mount passenger side needs cutting off and a new bracket made up. i made a new bracket bolted to chassis then bolt diff to new bracket rather than weld next to fuel tank.If you need to swap back to 7 inch just need a half inch spacer.

+1 why risk damaging the diff ot making its mounts weaker ?

any time I've seen a broken sierra diff its been these mounts that broke off

-

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.