Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Buying a bmw mini
rpm

posted on 1/10/13 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Buying a bmw mini

Seeking the collectives wisdom and experience, my 18yr old son who has been driving a classic mini now wants to buy a bmw mini,it would be the mini one and probably about 2002 to 2004 as that's what he can afford to buy and insure, so what are the problems/ faults /things to look out for on that age car?
carpmart

posted on 1/10/13 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Overheating power steering pumps is the biggest fault my wife's Mini Cooper S had in 6 years of ownership.

The runflats kill the handling and make for a VERY 'crashy' ride.

Other than that, they are quite a nice car!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

bill132hotrod

posted on 1/10/13 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
BMW mini

Did you not see the watchdog report on the telly the other night BMW Mini steering failure and BMW not wanting to know about your problems.
Watch it on catchup tv.

PERSEVERANCE is the word of the week. Stick with it the results are SWEET.

jossey

posted on 1/10/13 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
As above

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2371432/Actor-Richard-E-Grant-launches-Twitter-tirade-Mini-Cooper-daughters-steering-wheel-locks-motorway.html

They have admitted it is a fault but not published it

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rpm

posted on 1/10/13 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
I did hear about the steering but didn't watch the program, i'll try to later, was it a widespread fault or isolated incidents? my wife has had a mini clubman and now drives a countryman but they are relatively new and we've had no problems with them
Jossey thanks for the link I had better do a bit more research

[Edited on 1/10/13 by rpm]

[Edited on 1/10/13 by rpm]

big-vee-twin

posted on 1/10/13 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
I know 2 people who have had them both cars have been a pain in the ass with lots of problems including the steering and also ecu failure

[Edited on 1/10/13 by big-vee-twin]

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

britishtrident

posted on 1/10/13 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
We call them the BMW Money Pit, they are not cheap to maintain.

If he really wants one it would be better to wait and get a better later model and generally less geriatric one.

[Edited on 1/10/13 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

computid

posted on 1/10/13 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Or just buy a real car

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 1/10/13 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with last comment big money pits and a very overated car ..
britishtrident

posted on 1/10/13 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
They should call them the BMW un-Tardis cos they are huge on the outside but tiny on the inside.

[/I]

scimjim

posted on 1/10/13 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
I had a very early "one" (bought new in 2001) and had nothing but electrical problems with it (sold it at 12 months old) - bought a new Cooper S in 2003, which I sold to a colleague at 3 years old, who sold it to another colleague at 6 years old. He still has it and apart from a full BMWSH, 3 sets of tyres (at 3, 6 & 9 years, all OE type run-flats), a fractured air con pipe (at 4 years old) an exhaust (this year) and 2 sets of pads (at 4 years and 8 years), it's been totally reliable and is still great fun to drive at 80k miles.
Smoking Frog

posted on 1/10/13 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
My daughter has the cooper, just had steering pump replaced, runflats seem to need replacing more often than normal tyres, engine oil needs checking and topping up often. The BMW mini's are nothing like the original which you could fix easily. Over complicated, expensive fad which hopefully will die out soon. Talk him into keeping the classic mini.
Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 940
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Caterham R300, Caterham Roadsport,Indy R1,Indy Zet

posted on 1/10/13 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a 51 plate cooper with a panoramic roof which is going up for sale at the weekend.

80k miles.

I only bought it over the summer for the wife while we waited for her new car to be built. Tax ran out yesterday so we're just going to sell it as it's surplus to requirements.
She loved it - and it's a great drive (bit bumpy if i'm honest) but does put a smile on your face.

Power steering pump is a bit noisy when you're trying to park it, but it seems they're all like that.

u2u if you're interested and I can send some pictures.

Daddylonglegs

posted on 1/10/13 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by computid
Or just buy a real car

I'm with you chap. Anyhow, it's not a mini, it's a miniature ugly BMW!!

There, I said it

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

martinq357

posted on 1/10/13 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
Gearboxes...... up to 54 plate they had the Midland box, built by Rover for BMW. They have weak bearings that ultimately seem to need replacing...... I went for a 54 Plate Cooper with the later Getrag box and guess what...... it's failed and I've had to press the Tiger into everyday use whilst the dealer is sorting it out!
Otherwise, it's huge fun to drive and I'm looking forward to getting it back.

TPG

posted on 2/10/13 at 12:46 AM Reply With Quote
My wife has run one from 30k upto now at 60k. Other than the pas pump (BBA Reman@260 exchange) and general wear and tear items, change the tyres for 205/55 R16 can't fault it as a car in the class its in. It isn't ment to be a all round good car or indeed a direct replacment for the orginal mini. the metro was that wasn't it? It was built as a niche market car, and if viewed as such,the sales figures talk for themselfves. There is alot better newer stuff out there now, the BMW mini is knocking on 10+ years old in design. The DS3 and Fiat 500 for example. I'd go and look at it with an open mind if I was you.

..Which was nice..

britishtrident

posted on 2/10/13 at 05:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by martinq357
Gearboxes...... up to 54 plate they had the Midland box, built by Rover for BMW. They have weak bearings that ultimately seem to need replacing...... I went for a 54 Plate Cooper with the later Getrag box and guess what...... it's failed and I've had to press the Tiger into everyday use whilst the dealer is sorting it out!
Otherwise, it's huge fun to drive and I'm looking forward to getting it back.

Unusual to hear of a failure in the Getrag box
The Midland box is/was a license built version on the Peugeot 205 box it was never going to be up to the job.
The Getrag 5 and 6 speed boxes were designed for much bigger heavier vehicles and even the 5 speed version weighs a ton.

[Edited on 2/10/13 by britishtrident]

[/I]

clanger

posted on 2/10/13 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
we've had my wife's '05 Cooper S for about 4 years. They are good fun cars to drive with plenty of poke. Ride can be a bit harsh even for a sevenesque owner . Have junked all the runflats in place of some decent rubber which improves the handling no end. Few minor probs include water leak from thermostat housing, plus an intermittent starting fault which lasted about a week or so and has disappeared a few years back. Inside can be a bit plasticky???
Have a good check underneath as the underseal seems to be paper thin, and things like brake pipes can corrode quite quickly.....
Very much a laydees car IMHO, as the pedals are really jammed in there. Anyone with size 10's and above need not apply

[Edited on 2/10/13 by clanger]

v8kid

posted on 2/10/13 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
My youngest daughter is on her 4th BMW Mini with no problems.

Works as a photographer and she gets all her lights, stepladders and photokit in OK - for a wee car she has found them to be fine.

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
designer

posted on 2/10/13 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
Don't do it.

Designer car, none existant boot, plastic interior, expensive parts, early gearboxes unreliable, very hard ride, and very thirsty.

jossey

posted on 2/10/13 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
If you get a warranty with one which will cover the few expensive issues then go ahead.

In my opinion they do look good but I know the big faults they have are a pain.

As for the run flats mine used to do 8-9k before a change my new non run flats do more like 26k

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

rpm

posted on 2/10/13 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the feedback, despite everything he does seem set on a mini, having read up on the psp/gearbox issues a loan from the bank of mum/dad might be needed to get a slightly newer one
mark chandler

posted on 2/10/13 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
I got a mini one for my daughter 2 years ago, it needed a clutch which I discounted off the car price, it's the front of the car off so an expensive job ~£350 to have done.

She did over 20,000 miles 93,000 miles when purchased around 117,000 miles when sold, in the two years of ownership one bottom ball joint £20 and rear exhaust box £50, thermostat £15 and rear pads and discs around £70.

The seats were always a problem, poor tilt mechanism so needed a good shove sometimes.

She loved the car, no rust worries, okay on fuel and very good fun.

Plenty of room as well if you fold the rear seats, so in my experience go for it, upon arrival change all fluids and enjoy.

Regards Mark

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.