Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sausage filter
40inches

posted on 19/11/13 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
Sausage filter

Is there any benefit to be had, power wise, in fitting a Pipercross/ITG sausage filter instead of the original airbox?

mcerd1

posted on 19/11/13 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
it's smaller, but you might actually loose power by changing...

[edit]
the airbox should be correctly sized for your engine and changing it could have a negative impact, but even if it doesn't as below it will need a little re-tune to suit the new intake setup...

having said that you've probably already had to alter the exhaust setup which would also require a little re-tuning

[Edited on 19/11/2013 by mcerd1]

-

r1_pete

posted on 19/11/13 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
In the bike the airbox intakes were fed from the front of the fairing so the air in the airbox was slightly pressurised when on the move.

I can't remember how yours is Dave, but some trunking to the front of the car to replicate this effect would yield more benefit.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
imp paul

posted on 19/11/13 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
hay up mate itg is the better of the 2, and you should gain power as long as you jet the carbs right .or if efi re tune with power commander eg mapping

paul

wylliezx9r

posted on 19/11/13 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
I had a 20 bhp gain when I went from an itg sausage filter to the standard airbox. That was on a ZX9R C engine. My advice is to stick with the airbox

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

renetom

posted on 19/11/13 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
definitely go with the air box
On our R1 we modified the airbox to be fitted the other way round
so as to fit under the bonnet.
better for bhp than the sausage,
Yamaha & Kawasaki spent a lot of time & money developing the
best for their bikes.
so if its good enough for them , why go for something more noisy & inferior

Andy B

posted on 19/11/13 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
We have done a lot of dyno testing on the various different airboxes and exhaust combinations along with jetting and mapping changes where appropriate.
To date our thinking is as follows -
It is not always the case that the stock airbox offers the best solution for power due to limitations created by physically packaging the design into a bike, quite often what we are looking at is the best possible solution in the space available.

This packaging issue is demonstrated by the packaging on a lot of the works exhaust systems. We recently tested a very very expensive WSB exhaust system for a CBR1000rr which it had to be said made some good gains at the expense of driveability. However when we then manufactured the same system minus some of the nasty bends necessary to package it into a bike, the results were better.

Trying to achieve some form of ram air is a good goal but difficult to achieve, ducting pipes need to be as short as possible, as smooth as possible, the correct shape and taken from the correct position on the car. Even then the gains are not massive. I once placed an ungloved hand over our F1 sidecar airbox feed at nearly 150mph - the feef pipe was 3 feet long and 75mm bore, totally smooth - the result - bugger all was coming out the pipe!

In tests we found that panel filters like pipercross and itg ultimately flowed the most air and gave the highest top end bhp figures with the right jetting changes but at the cost of noise and a totally buggered mid range power delivery.

A stock airbox with a K and N filter gave the lowest top end figure but with good midrange power

Our own forced induction box was the quietest, gave a top end figure 3 bhp below the pipercross and the best midrange power with significant improvements to midrange torque and in back to back tests resulted in an 8mph higher top end speed when used on Alastair Boultons RGB Phoenix running 919 blade

And thats all I know about that
Hope it helps
Andy

iiyama

posted on 22/11/13 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
I was running a sausage filter but was getting a lot of induction noise. Couldn't find a way to fit the standard airbox without having to modify it so decided to make one.

[/U RL]

[URL=http://s114.photobucket.com/user/vm1451/media/DSC_4701.jpg.html]

Dropped the noise reading by around 7db from memory and gained some ram air back.

If its broke, fix it. If it aint broke, take it apart and find out how it works!

40inches

posted on 22/11/13 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
iiyama, that's very neat. I have modified the airbox, I just wondered if the sausage filter had any advantages, it appears not, so I will keep the airbox. Although it is debatable whether there is any ram air effect, I read a test somewhere that even on bikes it only started to have an effect at well over 100MPH.
Description
Description

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.