Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Chassis weight
scutter

posted on 16/2/14 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
Chassis weight

Folks, Whilst I realize it maybe a little late, I've started to wonder if the extra bracing we've stuck in my Haynes Roadster might be too much! (Quiet Cheffy before you start ) I've still the engine bay to sort, and it seems to be quite a bit heavier than my old Locost.

Would the collective be kind enough to look over the photos and give an opinion?

Yes it will be running that 3.0 alfa V6

Regards Dan.

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark Allanson

posted on 16/2/14 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
I did very similar to you, but with a Pinto, the completed car weighed 690kgs at SVA and is a much better car because of it. The ratio of sprung weight to unsprung weight is much more favorable, giving a production car ride quality without compromising handling, the tyres work better at 20-22psi which is closer to their design pressure that the lightweight cars running 16psi.

My day job is repairing accident damaged cars, so my additional bracings were to improve crash resistance as well as stiffness, triangulation of the transmission tunnel was also in case of prop breakage.

Car is looking good, keep us updated

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

pewe

posted on 16/2/14 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
That's looking a bit like my Formula 27 chassis.
That weighs 650kg all up but it sits on the road a lot better than some of the BEC's I passengered in.
Also because it's a CEC the extra weight isn't as punishing on the engine and transmission.
Unless you were aiming for an out and out racer I think it will be fine.
Keep the posts coming.
Cheers, Pewe10

posted on 16/2/14 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
I can't help much, my chassis is massively over-engineered in comparison. but do you know what the V6 weighs?
I want to run the audi 2.7 biturbo V6, and at 190kg it's a heavy lump!

However i guess if you're worried about strength see what the V8 guys have done, if anything (extra that is)

adithorp

posted on 16/2/14 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
Completely off topic but... It'll sound epic!

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

scutter

posted on 16/2/14 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
The v6 weights 170kg dressed but dry. I'm looking for 220hp and the same in torque.

I hadn't thought of the increase in ride comfort, but this one is definitely a tourer as I got the last down to 540kgs but with the live axle it did skip about unless you were on a track.

I leave the chassis as is at the moment and make it presentable, I'll just have to be careful around the engine bay.

Regards Dan.

[Edited on 17/2/14 by scutter]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scutter

posted on 16/2/14 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, how do you put that Youtube link in a playable window within a thread?

Regards Dan.

posted on 16/2/14 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
ooh okay, 190 does't sound so bad, being capable of 450hp

That does sound fantastic!

umgrybab

posted on 16/2/14 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
I think extra bracing can be beneficial at times but you have added it to a largely stiff portion of the chassis anyway. From the bulkhead to the dash is a very stiff area to start with, whereas the dash to the seat back is the part of these cars with the least torsional stiffness. I would be inclined to decrease the amount of extra bracing around the tunnel and increase the amount adding the cockpit sides and seat back to suspension points. I would also add small diagonals from bulkhead to engine mount points in the 3rd dimension as with more power and vibration going in this area is looking fairly planar and could use small improvement.
iank

posted on 17/2/14 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scutter
Ok, how do you put that Youtube link in a playable window within a thread?

Regards Dan.

Use the YouTube button (right hand side of the formatting mode buttons)
Enter the youtube id in the pop-up box. i.e. in this case MOJtpZST_WM and you'll get the window you want.

Like this one

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Cheffy

posted on 17/2/14 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

(Quiet Cheffy before you start )

Daniel, you've seen my V8 build - I'm in no position to criticize anybody else's chassis for being overweight!

Mart.

Farts are like Rock'n'Roll. You love your own but you hate everybody else's. Lemmy, Motorhead.

rossnzwpi

posted on 18/2/14 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
Awesome build

Wow, what a great project! The Alfa V6 is a fabulous engine and the 12 valve version is torquey to boot. It may be a bit heavy but if you're after a sports car not a maximum lightweight, high power beast then that's OK. I had a 164 for a while with this engine and the tone under acceleration was spine tingling. What gearbox arrangement do you have? The ones I've read of are an adaptor plate to a Ford type 9 or a slice of Alfa front wheel drive bell housing mounted to a rear wheel drive box like the type 9. Some have used the Alfa 105 gearbox, or if you can find one the old Alfa 6 / Alfa 90 ZF box.
Looking forward to reading your build log
Cheers
Ross in NZ

scutter

posted on 18/2/14 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Ross, A friend whom I brought the project from used to race a V6 alfa in Rwd and made up a bellhousing by welding a few alloy nuggets into a Cosworth T5 box. So it should be able to handle the torque.

Not the clearest picture, but it's hidden in here somewhere.

Description
Description

I'll keep you all posted, Dan.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.