Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2 Pack Varvish - Does it exist ?
Agriv8

posted on 26/2/14 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
2 Pack Varvish - Does it exist ?

Renovating my old pea shooter with a varnished stock and foreend to remove some gun cab dinks and tidy it up as its rubbing thin in a couple of places.

treated with an own brand Paint stripper last night and it did not touch it ( going to try again tonight with nitromorse )

but my question is is it possible that could the gun could have been varnished with a 2k type or extra tough varnish and what can I use to remove it ? the flat area I can use wire wool and fine oxide paper. But this will not work on the 'Dimond' grip areas.

any ideas welcome thanks Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

theprisioner

posted on 26/2/14 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
2K varnish and 2P paints are available for restoration type projects and assuming you have the correct equipment you can still do it, however it is quite dangerous stuff I am told. I have used it recently but did not like using it at all. Normally you take the area down to a stable base with a power sander, then apply 2K filler primer (I usually use a fine roller at this stage). Hone it to perfection with various grades of W&D. Apply base cote (colour) blending it in carefully then apply 2 pack clear coat just beyond blended in area. When dry use 800-1200 G W&D to cope with overspray etc. Then polish with G10. Simples! and if you are careful you might even survive to tell us the tale. Do not sand or apply the roller primer stage without at least an activated carbon mask. Spray only with an air fed mask. Use a disposable boiler suit and disposable gloves for handling and spraying. Use in a well ventilated area, I use an old but very powerful extractor fan. These are not official guide lines just my take on it. The official guidance is don't. I am not a professional thank god just an enthusiastic armature as they once said in Z cars.

See: http://westfieldbusa.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/purchase.html
also: http://westfieldbusa.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/lid-for-boot-box.html

Hope this helps

http://sylvabuild.blogspot.com/

http://austin7special.blogspot.co.uk/

Agriv8

posted on 26/2/14 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daviep
quote:
Originally posted by Not Anumber
There are too many guns in the hands of those who dont strictly need them. We see the results time and again sadly irrespective of whether the stocks are varnished or varvished.

Wow how deep and meaningful, I'd guess cars injure / kill more people than guns.

Sorry can't help with the OP's question.

Cheers
Davie

MMmm,

Its a sport I suspect more people have been killed playing football ( heart attacks ) fishing ( electrocuted by overhead power lines ) Golf lightening strike on the fairway, in a wheel chair due to Rugby. But open forum and every ons 'View ' is welcome. I can beat someone to death with a golf Club or Cricket bat, I have to be visited and quizzed by the Firearms officer every 3 years. when was the last time anyone was quizzed about their ability or mental state to drive a car. Moving back to my OP

I am trying to remove the 2k varnish the gun will be treated with 'old English' gun oil when i can remove the varnish.

Agriv8

Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

40inches

posted on 26/2/14 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
Some advice here. The first reply seems to have the answer, but, as usual on a lot of forums, the thread sort of goes off at a tangent after that.

theprisioner

posted on 26/2/14 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
two pack varnish has no known solvent when hard, it is a polyester resin plastic I believe. The only solution is lots of sanding.

http://sylvabuild.blogspot.com/

http://austin7special.blogspot.co.uk/

plentywahalla

posted on 26/2/14 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
2 pack varnishes are usually polyurethane. Best removed with a hot air gun and a scraper. Varnish will come off in strips and then sand to remove any residues. They are used a lot in the marine industry and we strip it off this way. Sanding it off is risky as the substrate (wood) is softer than the varnish so if you break through you will get hollows in the surface.

Good luck

Rules are for the guidance of wise men ... and the obedience of fools. (anon)

Agriv8

posted on 26/2/14 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Hi chaps mini update.

So reading the links and the info water baser strippers ain't going to touch it so dicided to hunt for something that needed thinners to clean up after. I ordered some stripper for 2k on eBay but could not wait so found this stuff at wilco the fact it indicated it would work on plastic was the clincher.

The piece at the bottom is the next on the hit list

better
better

It did not remove it or make it buble (even when left twice as long ) but I belive it softened it to allow brushing with soft bronze brush and corse wire wool. It did not do that well on the varnish on the grain end. Working down the wire wool and then onto the stock.

The fret work was the bit I was struggling with every.

I'll post up a photo when I have it all oiled up

Close up of the gleaned grip

clodeup
clodeup

Thanks for your help agriv8

[Edited on 26/2/14 by Agriv8]

[Edited on 26/2/14 by Agriv8]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.