Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Recommend a tablet please
mookaloid

posted on 13/3/14 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
Recommend a tablet please

I have kinda enjoyed the tablet experience after getting the Android Archos tablet in this thread but the performance (or lack of it) is wearing me down a bit.

I have had a play with an ipad and it has it be said it is pretty slick - I can really see the difference in useability.

However I don't want to spend ipad money or even go down the apple route.

What's a good android tablet then?

I have a nexus 4 phone and I would be tempted by a nexus 7 but are there any better propositions out there?

Cheers

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

snapper

posted on 13/3/14 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
Recommend a tablet

I'm finding Prozac quite good right now

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

rallyingden

posted on 13/3/14 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
Tesco Hudl
I have one and its brill

RD

nick205

posted on 13/3/14 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
I love my iPad, it works very very well.

SWMBO has a Nexus 7, which also works very well. She prefers the larger screen size of the iPad though and wishes sh'd gone for a Nexus 10.

Niece and nephew have Hudls and having used them a little, they're OK, but noticeably slower and less slick than the iPad or Nexus. But then they cost about £5 each with a load of Tesco points.

MikeRJ

posted on 13/3/14 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
The Hudl has good performance and build quality for the price, and you don't have to worry about mail order.
CosKev3

posted on 13/3/14 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
Motorola Zoom we have got has been very good
Not Anumber

posted on 13/3/14 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
Nexus 7 (or 10) and the Samsung Galaxy tab have good functionality and are fast and pleasant to use Android tablets. More expensive than the Archos but still decent value.

Talking of Galaxy devices the Galaxy Mega is well worth looking at. Who can tell whether it is a slightly smaller tablet with a Sim card or a huge phone with a brilliant screen but 2 of my mates have them and neither would go back to having a seperate phone and tablet now.

dave

posted on 13/3/14 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
I have an ipad 2 which is fantastic and is used all the time, however i find the picture quality on the Nexus 7 way better.
Ivan

posted on 13/3/14 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
I'm using an 8" Lenova Yoga tablet and am finding it good - particularly like the approximately 18 hrs battery capacity (not measured it but certainly good for a weeks regular use for an hour or two or more a day) and the stand thingy and find the round battery part great for holding it when lying on the couch reading magazines.

Also find the 8" a nice compromise between 7" and 10".

So far does everything I ask of it although some might think screen resolution not as good as others, I am not an HD movie freak so I find it fine.

[Edited on 13/3/14 by Ivan]

sky12042

posted on 13/3/14 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
Ive got a iPad and a iPad mini for work but the kids have got a tesco Hudl and to be honest the Hudl does everything the iPad does, not quite as slick but runs games and is very responsive. Just don't like the tesco button etc. and i do prefer the apple os.

So as a lower cost alternative i would choose a Hudl.

Andy.

Scuzzle

posted on 13/3/14 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Nothing wrong with a cheap Chinese tablet, I would hold off the latest 8 core ones they are bringing out and go for a quad core processor that's been proven. The Pipo M9 is an excellent Android tablet

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PIPO-M9-Android-Bluetooth-Aluminum/dp/B00BM25BC2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394741336&sr=8-1&keywords=pipo+m9

blakep82

posted on 13/3/14 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a 2012 model 10 "samsung note, which is good, but slightly buggy, however the latest models feel a lot more solid and the touch screen is much better. Comparable to ipads in my opinion. Go to a currys or pc world, or tesco, or anywhere else where they're all out to try and see what you think

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Davey D

posted on 13/3/14 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
I've got an original nexus 7, and it has been great. There is now a newer version which is a bit quicker.
Alfa145

posted on 13/3/14 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
+1 for the Nexus 7

Missus has the Galaxy Tab2 (7" and the Samsung skin on the top of android bugs me when I have to use it. But it's as good as the Nexus 7

ashg

posted on 13/3/14 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
We have got the new and old nexus 7s both are excellent. My new nexus 7 goes everywhere with me. Haven't found anything it can't do yet. Don't regret a single penny of the purchase price for the 32gb model.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

britishtrident

posted on 13/3/14 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
Nexus 7 is very good
Kindle Fire. HD is very very good.

Hudl is OK. But too expensive for what is a low end tablet
Acerbmake very decent 7" tablet which is sold by Argos for just under £90 just a bit less slim than the Nexus but otherwise it more or less matches the 2012 version of the Nexus 7 at a much better price. model is Acer Iconia B1-710

Samsung Galaxy tabs are nice but much too expensive and Samsung have customised Android a bit too much as a result some apps aren't compatible.

[Edited on 14/3/14 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 13/3/14 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Davey D
I've got an original nexus 7, and it has been great. There is now a newer version which is a bit quicker.

Sound is also better on the 2013 version it wasn't great on the 2012.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

splitrivet

posted on 13/3/14 at 11:54 PM Reply With Quote
Ive got one of the early Galaxy 10.1's its good but the newer models are better.
Had a play with a Kindle fire but your well and truly bolted down to Amazon, you can probably jailbreak them but you run risks and its a bit iffy if its a new bit of kit, depends how big your cahones are.
Ive had some bargains from this place http://www.ijtdirect.co.uk worth while seeing what they are offering but google the kit first to see if its any good.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

Matt21

posted on 14/3/14 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
microsoft surface?

has a usb drive....

not great to use without the keyboard but is possible

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.