Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Advice re Campervan electrics.
TheGiantTribble

posted on 11/4/15 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
Advice re Campervan electrics.

OK the Mrs has Peugeot Boxer 2lt Campervan.

(Oh how I hate campervans) It's main battery is draining, I've disconnected the leisure battery although they are supposed to be 2 separate circuits just to be certain, main is still draining.
Had main battery checked it is fine, connect to camper it drains. It shows a drop of about 1/100 of a Volt every minute.
Any advice on what to stick my multi meter on first, or is it just a question of trial and error?

Did I mention I hate campervans!

Thanks in Advance.

morcus

posted on 11/4/15 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
Tell her there's no cure and the only kind thing to do is scrap it, this might be your only chance

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Smoking Frog

posted on 11/4/15 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
Pull out all the fuses. Measure ampage (link will show how). Replace fuses one at a time and keep checking meter.
http://www.w8ji.com/battery_and_charging_system.htm and scroll down to "Measuring electrical system leakage current". Hopefully you'll find the circuit with the problem.

theprisioner

posted on 11/4/15 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
The culprit is usually the interior lights, the lamps used in the fittings can be anything up to 21W each as the battery is 35A/H you can work out how long it will take @ 1.7A/bulb

http://sylvabuild.blogspot.com/

http://austin7special.blogspot.co.uk/

TheGiantTribble

posted on 11/4/15 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys.

Morcus, the Mrs didn't like your answer very much, especially as she has had me saying similar things since she got it

Smoking...excellent suggestion and thanks for the link.
Prisioner...thank you, so if we remove the bulbs and the problem stops, seems too easy like it.

I guess we know what I'm playing with tomorrow!

02GF74

posted on 11/4/15 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
Bulbs? Think you are better off removing alk the fuses obviously making a note which one goes where.

Disconnect red lead from battery postive and connect a ammeter (dvm in cuumrrent measuring mode)

Ignition in off position.

If replacing fuses does not narrow it down, it could be the alternator so disconnecf on the poisitive side (usually they are earthed via the body)

Cafeful with the loose positive wired that they do not touch the bidy work or another earth.

rusty nuts

posted on 11/4/15 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
My first port of call would be the split charging relay followed by disconnecting the alternator then the fuses for the vehicle rather than the fuses for the motor home side of things. Not connected to the electrics check the scuttle drain doesn't dump water onto the top of the gearbox, it can fill with water and ruin the internals
britishtrident

posted on 11/4/15 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
Alternator diodes or immobiliser.
A normal digital multi meter is fused at only 10 amps so be aware it is very easy to blow the fuse and get a false zero reading.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

TheGiantTribble

posted on 19/4/15 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
Just a quick not to say thanks to all with their advice, the problem appears to now be fixed!

And in case you are wondering what the problem appears to be, it was...

The Campervan company hadn't done the neg terminal up properly when they renewed the battery, because it's a bit difficult to get a spanner/socket to!

Jane has expressed her opinion to them and for once I'm in her good books

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.