Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New Build - 1st time builder! cheap and quick
MatthewHorton

posted on 30/4/15 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
New Build - 1st time builder! cheap and quick

Hi everyone,

i just thought i'd start a thread for my build. Im planning to build it as per the book in 6 months. I don't know if its possible but hopefully you lot can keep me in accountable! I want to avoid even the thought of upgrading anything until it is built. i don't want any distractions and thats why i'm limiting my options and building it as per the book.

anyway, I'm off the hopefully buy the donor sierra today. its got a 1.8 cvh engine which is slightly annoying. i would have preferred a pinto but if i waited for one of them then i might be waiting forever.

i"ll take some pictures when i get it home!

matt

Edwardo

posted on 30/4/15 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
Good luck Matt! Wish I'd gone for a Haynes Roadster now - Ahhhhh hindsight.

Will be interested to see your build and whether you manage it in the 6 months

Cheers
Tony

whitestu

posted on 30/4/15 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
I built mine with a 1.8 CVH and it is a really easy engine to install and get running, and has plenty of power.

If you are planning to install a Zetec after SVA the 1.8 CVH also makes this easy as the Zetec is a development of the 1.8 CVH, so the exhausts are interchangeable with a bit of fettling and the CVH flywheel also can be made to fit and is really light.

Stu

Surrey Dave

posted on 30/4/15 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
1.8CVH

Nothing like as bad as you would be led to believe, got to be shorter than a Pinto too?

1.8CVH bike carbs + megajolt = surprising!!!

[Edited on 30/4/15 by Surrey Dave]

jps

posted on 30/4/15 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
Good luck - I thought it might take me a couple of years - that was 3 years ago and to the untrained eye I have made very little progress (to the trained eye it's not much better!!!)

I think the CVH engine went into the Mk3 RS Turbo - so can't have been all that bad surely...?

I got a Pinto in my Sierra - 1.6 and apparently good for 69bhp when new. I expect some horses have escaped since 1985, so I would not complain too much!!!

Surrey Dave

posted on 30/4/15 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
Mine , Before Megajolt Ignition

[img][/img]
MatthewHorton

posted on 30/4/15 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
so here is the donor car!

donor car before purchase
donor car before purchase

at home
at home

donor at home bonnet up
donor at home bonnet up

i dont have space to store the whole shell so i plan to strip it for parts in one go! (obviously, thoroughly labelling as i go!) what tools would people recommend for getting parts off/out?

[Edited on 30/4/15 by MatthewHorton]

Angel Acevedo

posted on 30/4/15 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the nut house.
There´s a member here that has a signature that reads:
You can do it quick, you can do it well, you can do it cheap.... PICK TWO!!
Good luck with the build... I´ve been at it for seven years, two of them lost to a Back injury and the other two to the corresponding mess and neglect the shop was subject to during the first two.... So, all in all 3 years actual building...
Pretty fun process though... for me one of the most enjoyable hobbies...
Angel Acevedo

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MatthewHorton

posted on 30/4/15 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
haha so true! mine is going to look like a rat rod! and i embrace that! hopefully it should still be 95% the driving experience!

posted on 30/4/15 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
I have always said that the quickest way with anything is to do it right first time.

Good luck with your build
Paul G

jacko

posted on 30/4/15 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MatthewHorton
haha so true! mine is going to look like a rat rod! and i embrace that! hopefully it should still be 95% the driving experience!

If you are doing rat-rod save time and just drive the sierra

Only kidding good luck with the build but make sure you use the 2nd addition how to build a car as there are changes to the first book
jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MatthewHorton

posted on 30/4/15 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

make sure you use the 2nd addition how to build a car as there are changes to the first book

I did not know there was a second edition! i'll have to check which one I've got. Do you know what the differences are?

MatthewHorton

posted on 30/4/15 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
I'm going down a rabbit hole now and reading the forum and reading about caster angle being incorrect in the book design??
big_wasa

posted on 30/4/15 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
That's easy to sort, until you find the nice 2.25" shock absorbers you buy barley clear.

The smallest changes will have knock on affects.

Good luck

CosKev3

posted on 30/4/15 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
You could do it in 6 months if you don't work for a living and have nothing else to spend your time doing?(wife/kids/family )

Good luck with the build, but imo you will do well to have it road worthy this time next year

mark chandler

posted on 30/4/15 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
As you are making it treat the book as a guide, make the wishbones then use these to align for caster (top bone at its outer edge set back around 10mm from the lower bone) and tack the brackets then position the shock.

As big Wasa states, 2 1/4" shocks are tight so just make the bones a bit wider if worried about this, also shocks take 1/2" bolts so do not use metrics.

My preference is the original book, the car is smaller if I was to make again I would reduce even more and make narrower!

Rosco86

posted on 30/4/15 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I'm going down a rabbit hole now and reading the forum and reading about caster angle being incorrect in the book design??

Good luck, im hopeing to be done in 12-14 months, i started last october so see how it gos, is the caster issue with the haynes roadster then? I thought it was just early mk indys, also first ive heard about the shocks being close!!

Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 940
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Caterham R300, Caterham Roadsport,Indy R1,Indy Zet

posted on 30/4/15 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Hi everyone,

i just thought i'd start a thread for my build. Im planning to build it as per the book in 6 months. I don't know if its possible but hopefully you lot can keep me in accountable! I want to avoid even the thought of upgrading anything until it is built. i don't want any distractions and thats why i'm limiting my options and building it as per the book.

anyway, I'm off the hopefully buy the donor sierra today. its got a 1.8 cvh engine which is slightly annoying. i would have preferred a pinto but if i waited for one of them then i might be waiting forever.

i"ll take some pictures when i get it home!

matt

If you want a quick start to your Haynes build, I know where there is a chassis which has been tacked together and just need welding. It will cost you less than buying the steel as the bloke just wants the space back.

splitrivet

posted on 1/5/15 at 06:54 AM Reply With Quote
Matt if you want to sell the door cards and some of the interior of your donor give me a shout, need them to finish my P100.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

mcerd1

posted on 1/5/15 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jps
I think the CVH engine went into the Mk3 RS Turbo - so can't have been all that bad surely...?

The RS turbo engine is a 1.6 setup for FWD, its got surprisingly few parts in common with the sierra's 1.8 motor...

You could tune up the CVH, there are still plenty of 1.8/1.9 Westfields around, but as above the swap to the more modern zetec doesn't get any easier and they are so cheap that it's silly not to give them serious thought

I'd say stick with the stock CVH for now (nice easy emissions test at the IVA, and can count towards an age related plate if you don't want a Q plate for some reason)
Then swap to a 1.8 or 2.0 zetec later on

The 1.8 blacktop zetecs are nice revvy engines that only need a set of cams to get nearly the same power as the 2.0 and they are a fair bit cheaper too

[Edited on 1/5/2015 by mcerd1]

-

MatthewHorton

posted on 1/5/15 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
That's easy to sort, until you find the nice 2.25" shock absorbers you buy barley clear.

so if i follow the book design then will 2.25 shocks fit with more clearance?

MatthewHorton

posted on 1/5/15 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
As big Wasa states, 2 1/4" shocks are tight so just make the bones a bit wider if worried about this, also shocks take 1/2" bolts so do not use metrics.

thanks for the tips. so i just need to make sure the top of the upright is in the correct place and im free to make the wishbones wider without affecting anything else?

MatthewHorton

posted on 1/5/15 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by splitrivet
Matt if you want to sell the door cards and some of the interior of your donor give me a shout, need them to finish my P100.
Cheers,
Bob

hi bob, if you want to come down and help me get them out and maybe some other bits out then you can have my spare bits that you need! help is more important to me than the cash!

MatthewHorton

posted on 1/5/15 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
quote:
Originally posted by jps

You could tune up the CVH, there are still plenty of 1.8/1.9 Westfields around, but as above the swap to the more modern zetec doesn't get any easier and they are so cheap that it's silly not to give them serious thought

I'd say stick with the stock CVH for now (nice easy emissions test at the IVA, and can count towards an age related plate if you don't want a Q plate for some reason)
Then swap to a 1.8 or 2.0 zetec later on

The 1.8 blacktop zetecs are nice revvy engines that only need a set of cams to get nearly the same power as the 2.0 and they are a fair bit cheaper too

[Edited on 1/5/2015 by mcerd1]

cheers, this is nice to know!

jacko

posted on 1/5/15 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
I have been thinking about this all day and realised you are using a sierra back axle but the ron champion book is for a beam axle
jacko

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.