Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Car change dilemma
leon51274

posted on 12/5/15 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
Car change dilemma

Morning,

I'm contemplating on changing my 59 plate mondeo titanium x 2.0 diesel. The reason being is I just can't justify having a diesel for the type of journeys that my misses does, which consists mainly of short school runs, short trip to work and the same again on an afternoon. Its currently returning 33mpg which is just not acceptable. My dilemma is what to change it for? I've got 2 kids aged 7 and 11, we also do a bit of glamping so the extra space of the mondeo is ideal. I don't want to spend anymore money so whatever I got for the mondeo is what I would spend so circa £7 - £7.5k. Initial thought were maybe a focus estate petrol or maybe a 1.6 diesel, just not sure if the 1.6 diesel would be any better. So what can the collective come up with that would fit the bill?

Cheers
Leon

steve m

posted on 12/5/15 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
My 2.0 mondeo 58 plate, returns 40-45 MPG average, and in the winter only does a few miles a day
in the summer, with longer journeys, goes up to 48 ish

does the oil cleaner of fuel filter need changing?

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

leon51274

posted on 12/5/15 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
Its recently had a full service so I would imagine the fuel filter and oil filter were changed. Could it be the dpf that needs cleaning i wonder?
leon51274

posted on 12/5/15 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
or should that be egr valve that may need cleaning as opposed to dpf? I don't really have much knowledge of diesels.
johnemms

posted on 12/5/15 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
This is nice link
[Edited on 12/5/15 by johnemms]

Own chassis & Build - First time pass!!
"7's" aren't really "cars", they are 'experiences"

ianm67

posted on 12/5/15 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
We have a Nissan Note 1.5 diesel. Had it for almost 2 years and have done 20k in that time and it has averaged 58.1 mpg....... The rear seats can slide backwards or forwards to give you almost limo like space for rear seat passengers or a cavernous boot. Nicely equipped with cruise, sat nav etc. Got ours from CarGiant in London, paid around £7k

Always biting off more than I can chew.....

leon51274

posted on 12/5/15 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
Bloody hell thats cheap
coozer

posted on 12/5/15 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
I paid £2k for my 56 fiat, boot is enormous, record is 16 pallets...

Bought to in 2011 4 years old, ( regged Jan 2007) with a problem.. New dpf required so quietly removed it and the egr valve.

It does 46mpg round the doors and stoneleigh last year was 54.

Ugly as sin but who cares!!

1996 pug 106 1.5d did 75mpg.....

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

whitestu

posted on 12/5/15 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
Is a 59 Mondeo Titanium really worth £7k? I bought my 59 2.0 tdci Edge 3 years ago for £8k.
leon51274

posted on 12/5/15 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by whitestu
Is a 59 Mondeo Titanium really worth £7k? I bought my 59 2.0 tdci Edge 3 years ago for £8k.

I've not really had a proper look to be honest but from what I've seen the price looks about right. Its only done 50k and its got all the toys. I maybe wrong though!

britishtrident

posted on 12/5/15 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
Beware Nissan Notes ------------- they eat front tyres particular bad on the models with steel wheels as the tyres are an odd ball size and expensive, they also go through front wishbones and springs like they were going out of fashion.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

MikeRJ

posted on 12/5/15 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
If you're only doing a few miles a day, why is the economy of any importance? Such short trips won't be doing the car any good at all though, and replacing it with another diesel won't improve this.
leon51274

posted on 12/5/15 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
No i know that but just wasn't sure If a smaller engine'd diesel would of been any better. Preference at the moment is petrol. The economy isn't all that important as I know i won't get 50mpg with any car around town its more the fact that I know its not doing the car any favours.

quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
If you're only doing a few miles a day, why is the economy of any importance? Such short trips won't be doing the car any good at all though, and replacing it with another diesel won't improve this.

garyo

posted on 12/5/15 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
Have you had a look at the basics - check the EGR system isn't blocked, ideally blank off the EGR valve completely. Put a can of BG244 cleaner through the system, etc.
leon51274

posted on 12/5/15 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
Strangely enough I've been doing a bit of reading up and the egr valve crops up quite a lot, does the blanking off assist a great deal? Is BG244 a fuel additive?

quote:
Originally posted by garyo
Have you had a look at the basics - check the EGR system isn't blocked, ideally blank off the EGR valve completely. Put a can of BG244 cleaner through the system, etc.

garyo

posted on 12/5/15 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
The EGR valves can go sticky due to carbon build up and then you're effectively driving around town re-burning your exhaust gasses with a generally nasty mixture, leading to poor MPG. The blanking/sandwich place will mean that regardless of its position, it's effectively closed off and you'll only ever burn clean air and diesel. It's the EGR that can cause most of the particle emissions that end up blocking your DPF, so you're on to a double-win.

Depending on the make/model, your ECU may have pressure sensors to detect a blocked EGR valve, and the car will throw a check-engine light when a blanking plate is fitted.

eBay is full of the plates - you'll get one for £5 I dare say.

BG244 is just a fuel additive. It's not cheap, but highly rated. Chuck it in your tank and drive around for couple of hundred miles...

daveb666

posted on 13/5/15 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
What mpg do you get on a 'run'? Try it, if its still poor I'd suggest sorting the problem with the Mondeo.

My dad had issues with poor mpg on his 59 diesel - he had a leaking O-ring on one of the injectors;very easy fix.

2007bc Photography - Commercial and Wedding Photographer based in West Yorkshire

http://www.2007bc.co.uk / http://www.huddersfieldcommercialphotographer.co.uk

splitrivet

posted on 15/5/15 at 06:16 AM Reply With Quote
Ive got an 09 Galaxy with a 1.8 diesel and that MPG figure sounds about right for stop start mileage.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

JimSpencer

posted on 15/5/15 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

Take it for a good long, hard, drive.
The DPF systems need to get properly hot, regularly, to work properly - it's possible you might find you can save it..

Then / Or get rid - totally the wrong sort of motoring for a modern diesel - if you're not doing Motorways or long journeys at least once a fortnight, forget them, you need to be looking at 15k miles a year+ & mostly on fast roads sort of area.

Lots of short journeys Petrol is the way - nice Mondeo Estate would probably do

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.