Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any Alfa engine experts out there...? Now with pics!
zetec

posted on 25/5/15 at 05:47 AM Reply With Quote
Any Alfa engine experts out there...? Now with pics!

Having waved goodbye to my MK to a very nice chap from Essex I did what any sensible 50 something does with a few grand in his pocket...I go out and buy a 35 year old Alfa Spider.

Usual car buying process for me, loads of research, long list of what to check for, youtube clips and then go and buy the first car I see and and the "what to check for list" firmly left at home. Still I would only be bored with nothing to fix.

Anyway, car drives OK, but a little lumpy on tickover. So said to my son we should do a compression test first, he's a bit of a car nut at 15, so we get the plugs out and all starts well with 170,170...then 125 and 150. no real change with a little oil down the bore of the low one. Now what to do? head off and valve reseated or rebuild? Never worked on these engines, I think it is called a "Nord". The options seem to be either a freshen up with maybe a new timing change and head work or go the whole hog and do the lot...

[Edited on 25/5/15 by zetec]

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

snakebelly

posted on 25/5/15 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
Whats the oil pressure like? If its ok then i would go the head of and valve work only otherwise you know what will happen. Engine out summer gone nd another winter project! :-)
whitestu

posted on 25/5/15 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
I know plenty about Alfa flat fours but not twin cams.

I would join the forum at Alfaowner.com. There are loads of people on there who will be able to advise. I used to be a member of as well. The AROC national alfa day is always worth a visit and they have model registers with loads of people who know these engines inside out.

Stu

adithorp

posted on 25/5/15 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
I'd start with valve clearances. It's probably the simplest thing to check and if the valve seats aren't hardened, quite possible they've closed up with the use of unleaded.

If it had been the earlier boat tail Spider I'd have be really jealous.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

sdh2903

posted on 25/5/15 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
This thread needs some pics......
sebastiaan

posted on 25/5/15 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
Valve clearances first, followed by a leak-down test to check where the leak actually is. But drive the thing over summer before tearing into it. You'll no doubt find lots of other stuff "whilst you're in there", so try to hold off on pulling the engine until winter.

Engine and box come out together unless you want to make life really hard on yourself.

O, and buy a welder ;-)

zetec

posted on 25/5/15 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
Oil pressure not too easy to check as gauge is not too accurate, falls into the "they're all like that list". Suspect head work is the way forward unless some real horrors greet me when I take it off. Access looks good so how hard can it be to pull a 35 year old alloy head off!

Pics as requested.
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/gallery/IMG_1359.JPG

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

mikeb

posted on 25/5/15 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
Looks lovely. Did the head on my Alfa spider, was pretty easy.
Weekend job easy, has it got twin dellorto 40s, loved that engine.

mikeb

posted on 25/5/15 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
You'll have to shim the valve clearances though, measure up and order the right thickness.
Sam_68

posted on 25/5/15 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
I'm pretty sure I've got a copy of this somewhere.

£60 including P&P; if you're interested, U2U me.

alfas

posted on 25/5/15 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
I'd start with valve clearances. It's probably the simplest thing to check and if the valve seats aren't hardened, quite possible they've closed up with the use of unleaded.

If it had been the earlier boat tail Spider I'd have be really jealous.

valve clearance, also my first idea.

1. the alfa engine is a fully alloy engine, therefore comes with steel inserts, so those engines have been unleaded friendly since the 60ies. (even some enginebuilders & parts dealers want to make you believe the opposite)
2. valve clearance is set by shims which are underneath the tapets. its a camshaft out job.

not diffcult but you should have some general expirience in automotive spannering.

[Edited on 25/5/15 by alfas]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.