Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Do I pre-load my angled engine mounts?
plentywahalla

posted on 11/7/15 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
Do I pre-load my angled engine mounts?

I am building another project which has a triumph 6 cylinder engine. The engine mounts are angled rubber bush mounts, about 30 degrees from vertical

I am at the point of welding the engine mount brackets to the chassis. If I just jig them in situ, when the engine is installed the weight (which is a lot) of the engine will put a shear load on the mounts and push them out of alignment. Any engine movement will put an excessive shear load on the mounts.

Presumably the right thing to do is to move the mounts inwards so that when the weight of the engine is applied the mounts come back into alignment so any movement is transmitted perpendicular to the mount. Is that right? .... and if so how do I work it out?

Rules are for the guidance of wise men ... and the obedience of fools. (anon)

owelly

posted on 12/7/15 at 01:01 AM Reply With Quote
For angled mounts, I'd have slotted holes. Weld them with the mounts at the top of the holes and then once settled, the mounts should be further down the slot if that makes sense?!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Slimy38

posted on 12/7/15 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
I have the same thing planned with my MX5 engine, it's mounts are at 45 degrees. I'm planning on fixing them to the engine, then dropping the engine in place to see where the mounts settle. Then mark them up, lose the engine and get everything fixed in the right place.
britishtrident

posted on 12/7/15 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
Slotted holes are the normal way of doing it

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

plentywahalla

posted on 12/7/15 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
OK, I suppose that's right. I can see it would work if the mounts are flat bottomed and the bolts just clamp them up when they have reached their working position. On the Triumph mounts the mating flanges are vertical and the bolts pass through horizontally so the weight of the engine sits on the bolts in shear.

I just question whether the tension in the rubber would be sufficient to overcome the friction in the bolts. I suppose I can always push them down the slot until the rubber bushings are in alignment.

Thanks for all your advice, I will give it a try

Rules are for the guidance of wise men ... and the obedience of fools. (anon)

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.