Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tyre wear on the Nordschleife
Hakuraa

posted on 2/8/15 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
Tyre wear on the Nordschleife

Hi chaps,
Can anyone give me an indication of how abrasive the Nordschleife please. I am booked on both days of the DN13 event and so need to know if my Toyo R888's will last for both days (currently about 4mm left) or whether I should fit a new set just for this event, previous experience is in someone else's road car for a few laps.
Car is a MAC#1 Worx ZX10, so with driver is going to be in the 600-620Kg region - no I am not build like an F1 driver - geometry set up for track/fast road use.
Cheers,
Andy.

bi22le

posted on 2/8/15 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
Do you drive like an F1 driver though? !

I saw no more excessive wear both times i went but i didn't drive it hard.

Track conditions are good so expect no more wear than a normal track day.

Is DN13 a public day or closed circuit? I would expect you to do no more that 10 laps a day on a public day due to queues and stoppages.

10 X 2 X 11 (mins) = 220 mins of track time max.

If your getting to the legal limit then stop! I only did 4 laps a day i think.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Hakuraa

posted on 2/8/15 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
Not even in my head, there are far better drivers than me!

DN13 is a closed track day for both days, so hopefully plenty of track time, with only 150 cars allowed out on track at once it will a mile away from a public day. Fuel consumption and tank size should let me stay out for 3 laps at a time as it is purely the Nordschleife circuit not the VLN layout, however the elevation changes and higher average speeds may change this plan.

jps

posted on 2/8/15 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
(I say this with ZERO practical experience, although if I'm wrong I'd be interested to know why)...

Isn't that area know for changeable weather/the track so big it may be dry at one part/wet elsewhere?

I would have assumed that, even with tyres with poor water clearing properties, you'd want to have as much tread depth as possible, incase you end up on a damp bit?

Or put another way, not worth the risk given a potential benefit and especially as it's a consumable that you'll replace regardless sooner or later?

twybrow

posted on 2/8/15 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jps
(I say this with ZERO practical experience, although if I'm wrong I'd be interested to know why)...

Isn't that area know for changeable weather/the track so big it may be dry at one part/wet elsewhere?

I would have assumed that, even with tyres with poor water clearing properties, you'd want to have as much tread depth as possible, incase you end up on a damp bit?

Or put another way, not worth the risk given a potential benefit and especially as it's a consumable that you'll replace regardless sooner or later?

What he said! The ring is made up of lots of different surfaces, in all manner of environments, so if it were me, I would change them and keep your current tyres for a track day or two closer to home.

750mc

posted on 2/8/15 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
+1.

Hell of a place. Get the best gear you can on it.

austin man

posted on 2/8/15 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
some really good sections and some concrete if you nailing it then you will see wear as said the weather tends to change at the turn of a hat

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Hakuraa

posted on 13/8/15 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies and advice, new tyres ordered, roll on September

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.