Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Aeroscreen, helmet or not??
foes

posted on 31/8/15 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
Aeroscreen, helmet or not??

What do most wear on their bonce?
I've got a mac#1 aeroscreen on my st locost and have been driving it lately without a helmet, just some safety glasses and a beanie/cap. I can't help feeling a little vulnerable though in case something got flicked up off the road. Is it generally no windscreen = wear a helmet or not??

sdh2903

posted on 31/8/15 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
The first couple of times I drove my kit with aeroscreen I had my helmet on. In these drives I got a stone flicked up and hit square on the forehead of the helmet. Then a bee splattered right on the visor. After that I didn't even consider going out without the lid on.
CosKev3

posted on 31/8/15 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
It is a worry tbh,but I drive with just glasses on.

Especially seeing as most of the time I've got a passenger it's much more sociable with out helmets

My aero screen is a westfield one it's quite high.

40inches

posted on 31/8/15 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
I have 3 good stone chips on my lid, one on the visor just above the right eye. All would have been painful
So I say helmet at all times.

kj

posted on 31/8/15 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
Full face lid for me every time

Think about it, think about it again and then do it.

Adamirish

posted on 31/8/15 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
I have just fitted an aeroscreen to mine, took it for a quick spin round the block(5miles) and got smacked straight in the forehead with something. Straight home and bought a cheap lid.(don't want to wreck my arai) stops you making stupid faces in the wind too!

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

750mc

posted on 31/8/15 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
Helmet every time. But never an open face. Ever!

[Edited on 31/8/15 by 750mc]

coyoteboy

posted on 31/8/15 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Jesus, frightening to think people would risk this - without a windscreen I can't see how you'd risk being without protection! If you want to be sociable get an intercom!

bi22le

posted on 31/8/15 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Depended on where i was going. I used to go shopping in my striker so never went over 30. If i was going out of town then i would use. Bash hat.

I have been hit in the head from a bee. It might as well of stung me!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

750mc

posted on 31/8/15 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Only a matter of time. Getting hit by almost anything at 30mph will hurt if it's in the wrong place. Each to their own but if you've an aero screen on for the road you increase the chances. why take the risk for the sake of a cheap helmet
Andi

posted on 31/8/15 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
I have been with aeroscreens for over 5 years now.
I tend to take a helmet for when I get fed up of the wind noise or (even more so) if its likely to rain.
I use safety shooting glasses for my eyes, but i do like to get the full open top experience. Bees do hurt though
but luckily its only ever been a couple of times for me.
If your driving in icy weather, then a lid is a must. otherwise its like brain freeze x 10

Andi

Adamirish

posted on 31/8/15 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
I certainly won't be going out without a lid on again. For the record, I bought a cheap new helmet at £46 posted, it has a better sharp rating than my £550 arai! No excuse not to really.

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

Sam_68

posted on 31/8/15 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andi
I tend to take a helmet for when I get fed up of the wind noise or (even more so) if its likely to rain.
I use safety shooting glasses for my eyes, but i do like to get the full open top experience. Bees do hurt though
but luckily its only ever been a couple of times for me.
If your driving in icy weather, then a lid is a must. otherwise its like brain freeze x 10

This pretty much describes my approach, though I tend to use ski goggles or driving goggles rather than shooting glasses - I find that they give better protection form the wind, that otherwise dries my eyes out on longer runs.

I've done tens of thousands of miles in aeroscreened cars over the years; I can count on my fingers the number of times I've been hit by something, and never hard enough to draw blood. Bumble bees do smart a bit, though...

To give an alternative point of view: remember that helmets are designed for bikes, where you can look over your shoulder easily, or for race use, where everybody is going in the same direction in a well-disciplined manner on a defined racing line.

If you're strapped tightly back in a harness in your Seven, with mirrors that are naff all use because of their size and vibrations, you've got to balance the small risk of being hit by a sharp bit of gravel against the potentially much larger risk of being hit by a vehicle you didn't see because of restricted visibility.

You make your own judgement, though.

If you choose not to wear a helmet, ear plugs are probably a good idea. I don't wear them, but I'm now deaf as a post!

ianhurley20

posted on 31/8/15 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
I've been hit by a bird at speed - its an ex bird now. I don't ever want to go on a motorbike without a helmet so why would I sit in a VERY low car without one?

CosKev3

posted on 31/8/15 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
Jesus, frightening to think people would risk this - without a windscreen I can't see how you'd risk being without protection! If you want to be sociable get an intercom!

Don't be such a faggot

How many miles do you do in your road car per year?

And how many stones/chippings etc hit your windscreen directly in line with your head in those miles?

Exactly, none!!!

The odds of someone not seeing you in a kit car and pulling out in your path/into you are much higher than the odds of something big enough to hurt hitting your face/head.

750mc

posted on 31/8/15 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
Yeh. Right. No one ever got whacked in the mush sat behind a computer screen...

Comments above pretty much tell the tale. Make you're own mind up.

chrisxr2

posted on 31/8/15 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
Almost always wore a lid over 30' pooling through town, safety specs only.

Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

ali f27

posted on 31/8/15 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Just wear mine on the motorway
coyoteboy

posted on 31/8/15 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
Don't be such a faggot

How many miles do you do in your road car per year?

And how many stones/chippings etc hit your windscreen directly in line with your head in those miles?

Exactly, none!!!

The odds of someone not seeing you in a kit car and pulling out in your path/into you are much higher than the odds of something big enough to hurt hitting your face/head.

Homosexual insults - is it the 80s?

How many stonechips do I have on my tintops - literally hundreds, tens a year at kit car head height. How many times do I get serious windscreen chips - about one a year driving 12K or so. How many times have I had large items thrown up into the path of my car - about 3 or 4 times in 15 years.

How many eyes do I own? 2.
How many lives do I own? 1.
How many times can you get smashed in the eye/face by something large at high speed and still keep full control of the car without risking yourself or others. Hmmm, not sure I'd like to find out, for the sake of wearing a helmet.

Sam_68

posted on 31/8/15 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
How many times can you get smashed in the eye/face by something large at high speed and still keep full control of the car without risking yourself or others. Hmmm, not sure I'd like to find out, for the sake of wearing a helmet.

But conversely, how many times can you pull out into the path of an artic because you didn't have the visibility and awareness of its presence in your blind spot, without needing to be scraped off the tarmac with a spatula?

Not sure I'd like to find out, for the sake of not wearing something that restricts my vision and hearing.

If you're seriously worried about safety, you shouldn't be driving an ultra low-slung sportscar with no side impact protection at all, no ABS no traction control, no air bags, no crumple zone, etc., etc.

But you pays yer money, and you takes yer choice...

Karl H

posted on 31/8/15 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Helmet - Yes
Passengers - No
Faggots - I'm vegetarian

Irony

posted on 1/9/15 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
I know plenty of bikers who constantly wear open faced helmets. They are not losing eyes on a daily basis. In fact in a whole family of bikers (I am the only car person) and all their mates I know of zero one eyed bikers.
SJ

posted on 1/9/15 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
In my view not having a windscreen spoils these cars for anything other than a track day. Mine has a full screen and it is really nice to be able drive down a country lane with the top off and no helmet. Also, motorway driving with a screen and side screens is remarkably civilised compared to an aero screen.

So my answer is forget the helmet unless on a track day and buy a windscreen and side screens.

Stu

loggyboy

posted on 1/9/15 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
I once had a large stone/small rock hit the side window of my tin top. Sheer luck kept window intact but it left a 1 inch gouge in the window. It came from a skip lorry going round a bend the opposite way to me. If my window been open or id been in opentop or kit, it would have been my head, and would more than hurt.
With regards to blindspots, if you have decent set of mirrors you shouldn't have any blindspots. And driving small kits that can be missed by joe public expecting full size cars, you should be driving more aware anyway, a helmet shouldn't stop that, certainly not an excuse bikers ever use who also nees to drive more vigilantly.

Mistral Motorsport

ianhurley20

posted on 1/9/15 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure I understand what is going on here - OP asked for peoples opinions on helmet wearing and there seems to be abuse and intolerance of peoples simple point of views, with me its a helmet as I will have to save up until windscreen, sidescreens etc arrive sometime after IVA. My tin tops have had several stone chips and two windscreens in the last decade. I've been hit several times by stones, once by a bird (and that hurt) insects and even raindrops at speed, so I choose to wear a helmet and visor. If you don't want to then that's fine with me

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.