Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What's it worth (TIG)
scutter

posted on 2/1/16 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
What's it worth (TIG)

As I continue to fail at mastering it and it won't do alloy, I'm trying to guage to sale price for my GYS 160 TIG/MMA welder.

It's a scratch start without a pedal and apart from me balling the ends of several electrodes has had next to no use. The Bases coded welder has run it up and proved that it works

It comes with all you can see and a stick welding holder and 2 1/2" across bundles of welding rods, one mild and one stainless.

Does anyone have any ideas on it's worth?

ATB Dan.

TIG front
TIG front

TIG all
TIG all

[Edited on 2/1/16 by scutter]

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
madteg

posted on 2/1/16 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like hf start to me
coozer

posted on 2/1/16 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
HF on it, so its not scratch start is it????

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

ken555

posted on 2/1/16 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
Look here

It does both

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 2/1/16 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
3 way toggle switch at the bottom goes between lift start at the top, MMA in the middle, HF start at the bottom.
Its better than you thought! That's said, its only worth a tenner, but I'll be generous and give you 15 posted

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

loggyboy

posted on 2/1/16 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
Worth about £50... im feeling generous so can give you £100 and I'll collect...

Edit
Took too long to reply... beaten to the punch line.

[Edited on 2-1-16 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

scutter

posted on 2/1/16 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
You guys are the funniest people i've meet this year

Dan.

theconrodkid

posted on 2/1/16 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
seems to be last years model so not a huge amount,similar are around £300 new,i would say your best bet would be to bribe your mate into giving you welding lessons

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

blakep82

posted on 2/1/16 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
seems to be last years model so not a huge amount,similar are around £300 new,i would say your best bet would be to bribe your mate into giving you welding lessons

Agree with that tbh, tig takes practice. Lots of practice. But is the most ratifying thing ever when you can do it. Very close arc length, watch the weld pool, don't travel too close, lovely stuff

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

scutter

posted on 2/1/16 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Conrodski. I'm selling to fund a new mig, my little snap on 130 is getting tired.

Dan.

Shooter63

posted on 2/1/16 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
I had one of those, a cracking bit of kit for the price, keep at it, it will come, keep the torch in your good hand, feed the wire with the other, but only when needed, sit down, be comfortable, and rest your hands if possible, sharpen the needle to a long pin sharp point, try and keep it a few mm from the work. All of a sudden it will make total sense.

Shooter

coozer

posted on 2/1/16 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
£120 + postage any good to ya??

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

mark chandler

posted on 2/1/16 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
Once you have mastered TIG the MIG will only come out when working from below.

Keep at it, looks like a good machine to me, as an inverter a couple of hundred I would guess it it has IBGT hardware.

rusty nuts

posted on 2/1/16 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Stick with it , once it comes together it's so much nicer than mig . Could swap it for a Clarke mig it you want?
theconrodkid

posted on 2/1/16 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
Dan,i have a 30 odd year old strap on/cebora,if it,s the same as mine,i might have it off you for spares .
re learing,i learnt on oxy before all this new fangled electricery was invented so first time i used a tig it was easy peasy

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

hizzi

posted on 3/1/16 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
keep the tig, start by fusing heavy steel about 3mm and just push the weld pool around, once you can do that switch to thinner stuff then start adding rod you will soon get it, so handy when building a car for small stainless bits etc. also arc welding with the inverter is so much easier too
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 3/1/16 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
Not worth as much as you probably think, especially if you're of the 'car owes me' £15,000 Pinto Indy mentality.
Keep it.

Stick with it, it's great fun. Be sure that your job is clean, well jointed, as clinical as you can get it. Any gap filling with TIG is a horrible process, involving delivering far too much heat.

Gap filling and crawling around in awkward situations, probably dealing with material that you can't get a good cleaning tool on to, is what the MIG is for. MIG is a really crude tool, once you've twigged with TIG.

scutter

posted on 3/1/16 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
Once you have mastered TIG the MIG will only come out when working from below.

Keep at it, looks like a good machine to me, as an inverter a couple of hundred I would guess it it has IBGT hardware.

Mark, Could you explain IBGT Hardware.

Mr Mayhem, trust me I definately don't keep track of the cost of the car, been doing it too long.

Conrodski, I might have to pop over for a few pointers, reading people comments it really should be a skill I learn, I found evening classes, but work won't allow me to take 10 nights off, as I work week of days week of nights.

Regards Dan.

davidimurray

posted on 3/1/16 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a cheap Chinese arc/tig welder years ago as it was for a bargain price. Then decided to build the car so thought why not learn to use the TIG and weld all the chassis/wishbones etc.

It takes lots of practice to TIG but it is so satisfying. Start by just getting two pieces of strip next to each other and join them by melting the joint without any filler. Then have a go at overlapping plates. Once you can get good welds then add filler and practice with that.

Below about 1mm without a pedal will be challenging so start with 1.6mm+ material. Remember, that you don't have to move quickly like MIG or ARC. You are just providing heat so you can go slowly and even just heat up a pool.

Gallery 1 http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.116893465324.130778.601005324
Gallery 2 http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.245243755324.181913.601005324&l=a9831a9319
Gallery 3 http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.440671625324.232627.601005324&l=3f0d42c523
Gallery 4 http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.490098255324.297598.601005324&l=efb083b7df
Gallery 5 http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150244028550325.366987.601005324&l=583fd5cd3a
Gallery 6 http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150550640070325.430417.601005324&type=3&l=fe779b358c
Duratec Engine Swap https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152527759580325.1073741828.601005324&type=1&l=40aae5e72f " target="_blank"> https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152527759580325.1073741828.601005324&type=1&l=40aae5e72f

mark chandler

posted on 3/1/16 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
My mistake, insulated gate bipolar transistor (IGBT) are more expensive semiconductors, the cheaper ones use MOSFETs

Put simply MOSFETs are first generation invertor technology, IGBT are 2nd generation and have better characteristics for both endurance and performance so are superior performing items.

If you look at new invertors say 200amp AC/DC on eBay you have pretty much two price points, £400-500 or £900-1000.

I had a cheap one (MOSFET), it worked very well but had to go back for repair then got stolen, I replaced with an expensive r-tech and it is far nicer to use, more stable and been good for a few years now.

Before either of those I had a transformer based Marshall dynabolt (similar to a millers) it consumed electricity but was superb in use and indestructable for hobby use.

Regards Mark

[Edited on 3/1/16 by mark chandler]

big_wasa

posted on 3/1/16 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
I bought my Chinese tig a few years back. I've not had many hours on it but I can join two bits of metal together but it ain't prety. It's awesome for stuff that needs to to air or liquid tight. Sumps, fuel tanks, manifolds and much more.

I am looking to upgrade mine when I have saved up a bit for a 200a AC/DC machine.Choice at the moment is between the Rtech digital and the Thermal arc.

Swapped this exhaust flange a few weeks back. Well I am pleased......ish.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.