Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Interior mirror?
David Jenkins

posted on 18/5/16 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
Interior mirror?

I've decided that I need to replace my interior mirror. It used to be OK-ish, but since changing my seating position the main thing I can see is the cross-piece on my roll-over bar, plus my shoulder. The mirror also vibrates a lot, making it difficult to see anything. This is the sort of thing I've got at the moment (a Sierra mirror on a stalk) screwed to the top of the scuttle, although currently it's a bit taller.

I could stop the vibration by bracing it against the windscreen, but now I'm wondering whether to go for a stick-on mirror at the top of the screen. Unfortunately it can't come down very far as it will get into the area I look through.

So what are the alternatives? I believe that Paul G (907) has one from a MX5, but they can be hard to find (to be exact, I can't be bothered to faff around scrap yards looking for one!). Are there any decent add-on mirrors that can bought on-line? A bit of extra vision and/or a wide-angle view would be good.

gremlin1234

posted on 18/5/16 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
but now I'm wondering whether to go for a stick-on mirror at the top of the screen. Unfortunately it can't come down very far as it will get into the area I look through.
some cars (Elise for instance) offset the mirror to the passenger side

40inches

posted on 18/5/16 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
I made a bracket out of 4mm ally, bonded it to the screen and fitted a Racetech convex mirror, works very well, no blurring and a good field of vision. The mirror passed at IVA on the long mounting stalk, without the screen.
Description
Description
Description
Description

CosKev3

posted on 18/5/16 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
I've used a small curved mirror that you buy to check on children in the back of cars!

Removed the supplied sucker and screwed it onto the alloy centre bracket of my aero screen.

Works really well and I couldn't be without a centre mirror if I'm honest,way better for rozzer spotting than the side mirrors!

Bluemoon

posted on 18/5/16 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
I've used a small curved mirror that you buy to check on children in the back of cars!

Removed the supplied sucker and screwed it onto the alloy centre bracket of my aero screen.

Works really well and I couldn't be without a centre mirror if I'm honest,way better for rozzer spotting than the side mirrors!

I have done that also but looking for a way to mount it to the top of the screen with out a sucker... I find that the normal rear view gets in my line of slight while driving but the curved on is nice and small.

How did you make up the alloy centre bracket any photos?

Dan

CosKev3

posted on 18/5/16 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bluemoon
quote:

I have done that also but looking for a way to mount it to the top of the screen with out a sucker... I find that the normal rear view gets in my line of slight while driving but the curved on is nice and small.

Dan

I'll take a pic,it's screwed onto the centre alloy support of my Westfield aero screen.

David Jenkins

posted on 18/5/16 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
I made a bracket out of 4mm ally, bonded it to the screen and fitted a Racetech convex mirror, works very well, no blurring and a good field of vision. The mirror passed at IVA on the long mounting stalk, without the screen.
Description
Description
Description
Description

I think that one would be in my line of sight. I think I'm going to have to fix the mirror to the top of my windscreen frame...

40inches

posted on 19/5/16 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
Description
Description
Description
Description

I think that one would be in my line of sight. I think I'm going to have to fix the mirror to the top of my windscreen frame...

How high is your screen? Mine is only 11" high at the centre.

David Jenkins

posted on 19/5/16 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
My screen is about 12" tall. Here's a picture I took just now, after trying a Sierra mirror at the top of the screen - ignore the existing mirror below! The Sierra mirror is still a little bit too low, but I reckon that I could make a new mount quite easily so that it sits just below the level of the screen frame. Watch this space...

mirrors
mirrors

One issue that I found - the mirror vibrates quite a bit when driving, and I think it's due to the foam pad I used to mount it on the screen; I can push the whole mirror around fairly easily by hand, mount and all. I did use some thin double-sided foam tape to temporarily fix the mirror, which doesn't help, but I'm not sure that a genuine sticky mirror pad would be a lot better.

Are there any alternatives? Otherwise I'll use the correct sticky pad(s) and make the replacement mounting face a fair bit bigger.

40inches

posted on 19/5/16 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
My screen is about 12" tall. Here's a picture I took just now, after trying a Sierra mirror at the top of the screen - ignore the existing mirror below! The Sierra mirror is still a little bit too low, but I reckon that I could make a new mount quite easily so that it sits just below the level of the screen frame. Watch this space...

mirrors
mirrors

One issue that I found - the mirror vibrates quite a bit when driving, and I think it's due to the foam pad I used to mount it on the screen; I can push the whole mirror around fairly easily by hand, mount and all. I did use some thin double-sided foam tape to temporarily fix the mirror, which doesn't help, but I'm not sure that a genuine sticky mirror pad would be a lot better.

Are there any alternatives? Otherwise I'll use the correct sticky pad(s) and make the replacement mounting face a fair bit bigger.

I used the liquid mirror fixing, I wouldn't want to try taking it off now
Ordinary Super Glue can crack the screen apparently
Could you find a mirror with a shorter stalk?

The top of the mirror is level with the top of the screen pad, on this one. http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/e-marked-interior-dipping-mirror />
[Edited on 19-5-16 by 40inches]

David Jenkins

posted on 19/5/16 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
That looks like a Sierra one!

Making my own mount is no problem - the current mirror on a stalk is a Sierra one. If you cut off the stalk about 1cm behind the ball joint you get a nice nearly-cylindrical peg that can be glued into a suitable hole. All I need to do is make a mounting plate with an aluminium peg fixed into it at 60 degrees; the peg has a suitable hole in the other end for the mirror. A few drops of Loctite on all the joints will sort it.

This will put the top of the mirror just below the top of the windscreen frame - I can't go any higher!

Is that mirror glue easy to find? I guess it's the stuff they use to fix the mirror mounting plates in tin-tops. It sounds like the ideal solution.

40inches

posted on 19/5/16 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Is that mirror glue easy to find? I guess it's the stuff they use to fix the mirror mounting plates in tin-tops. It sounds like the ideal solution.

Most motor factors sell it, mine came with a cleaning cloth for the screen.
I dare say that Halfords sell it
You may find it cheaper http://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-body-repair/adhesives/loctite-rear-view-mirror-adhesive-kit

[Edited on 19-5-16 by 40inches]

CosKev3

posted on 21/5/16 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bluemoon
quote:

Dan

I removed the wIndscreen sucker ,cut the ball off the stalk then drilled through the aeroscreen support bracket and used a self tapper into the mirror stalk.

Works really well and gives a good view between the seats

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.