Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Recommend me a car cleaner to get THAT stuff off
bi22le

posted on 15/10/16 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
Recommend me a car cleaner to get THAT stuff off

My white A4 looks the biz when clean and white cleans pretty easy, I just use triple wax and a sponge.

What I have trouble with is all of the little orange specs and hard stuff to shift. I use my finger nail most of the time as it is soft so wont damage the paint. It seems that I need something more though to shift all of the specs.

I dont want to detail it, I just want to get the more sticky stuff off. I feel like T cut would be the kind of thing but cant help thinking there is a more modern \ better product out there.

Suggestions?

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

tones61

posted on 15/10/16 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
ferecla g3 clay mitt from halfords,use very slippery soapy water with it,and pressure of the wet mitt only,

will take off all the stuck on fallout bits and leave virgin clean paint ready for a quality wax to bond to,

see youtube vids for info,

mot tester

tones61

posted on 15/10/16 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=330602&highlight=g3+mitt

mot tester

CosKev3

posted on 15/10/16 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
Bilt Hamber Surfex HD is a awesome all purpose cleaner/degreaser.

Dilute it to 50% with water for use under arches and on bodywork,but be warned it does remove any wax/polish you have on the bodywork.

The best way by far to remove contaminants from the paint surface is to clay bar it,doesn't take long tbf and you can see what is being removed by the clay bar.

Slimy38

posted on 15/10/16 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
I have a lump of clay that pulls all sorts out of paint without damaging it, but you have to apply some sort of protection to it as it really strips everything off the paint.

I used it mostly on my wife's Almera, the paint was really soft and there would be all sorts stuck to it. My Toledo never seemed to pick much up.

It wasn't expensive, and it lasts years. And it's easy to work with, just need a spray bottle with soapy water and a pre-washed car.

bi22le

posted on 15/10/16 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the replies.

It seems that these products that are strong enough to remove the bits on the paint week remove all protection. This means a third product / step is required.

It seems I am starting to slip down the slippery slope of detailing. Which I don't mind but I don't have the time. I get about an hour to completely clean the car, inside and out.

Do process seems to be
1 Just water to soak
2 cleaner applied with sponge and then rinsed off
3 Clay bar or more aggressive cleaner
4 Wax / protection layer.

Does that sound right?

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

ashg

posted on 16/10/16 at 02:52 AM Reply With Quote
autoglym tar remover works perfectly. put a bit on a cloth and rub and all the grubby poo like bugs and tar come off really easy and it doesn't need diluting or damage the paint.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

loggyboy

posted on 16/10/16 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashg
autoglym tar remover works perfectly. put a bit on a cloth and rub and all the grubby poo like bugs and tar come off really easy and it doesn't need diluting or damage the paint.

Yeah the hard black bits are tar. Sadly this is the best way, just very slow to do the whole car!

Mistral Motorsport

BenB

posted on 16/10/16 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
Don't buy a white car? One of the people who lives on our (tree lined) street bought themselves a brand new white Nissan Juke. But from day 1 in order to avoid parking it under a tree they park it right outside our house as there's a gap in the trees! No doubt they see the extra walk worth it (by avoiding having to wash the car). By the time I get home everyone else will have finished work and parked outside their own home. So for me it just means a walk and a car covered in tree shite! Wouldn't mind if they parked a nice looking vehicle outside!
CosKev3

posted on 16/10/16 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
Cheers for the replies.

It seems that these products that are strong enough to remove the bits on the paint week remove all protection. This means a third product / step is required.

It seems I am starting to slip down the slippery slope of detailing. Which I don't mind but I don't have the time. I get about an hour to completely clean the car, inside and out.

Do process seems to be
1 Just water to soak

Does that sound right?

It's hardly detailing!!!!

It's just basic car maintenance tbh.

I wouldn't worry about removing protection off the paint,as you can't have any on it if it's getting stained anyway.

Auto Glym super resin polish is pretty easy to use,will clean up the paint and protect it

nick205

posted on 16/10/16 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashg

I'd 2nd that method too. Can be quite time consuming, but it does work and doesn't seem to damage the paint. White cars are a PITA anyway, but the black ones I've had are a bugger too, scratches show up terribly!

[Edited on 17/10/16 by nick205]

tr7v8

posted on 16/10/16 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
Cheers for the replies.

Do process seems to be
1 Just water to soak

Does that sound right?

It's just basic car maintenance tbh.

I wouldn't worry about removing protection off the paint,as you can't have any on it if it's getting stained anyway.

Auto Glym super resin polish is pretty easy to use,will clean up the paint and protect it

AG SRP won't protect it as such, it is a Polish & as polishes go reasonably abrasive. I use it as a mild paint renovator. The next abrasive level is AG Paint Renovator then into Farecla or 3M compounds. What it needs is stripping off, then a really good wax applied. I use Colnite 915 which is long lasting. It is easy to apply in cool weather, but only do 1/4-1/2 a panel at a time. If it dries off it is a pig to remove.

Jim
2005 Porsche Cayenne S
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Sold
2010 Maxda MX5 Sport Tech
2000 Porsche Boxster S (now sold)
Light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak.

CosKev3

posted on 16/10/16 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
It needs polishing and waxing to do it right.

But AG SR is a easy to use polish, and it does protect it plenty well enough tbh,as you can see by the water beading after polishing

ianhurley20

posted on 16/10/16 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
I'd just use TFR. A couple of sprays and it will take anything off. TFR = traffic film remover. I buy a 25 litre container and dilute it at about 25 - 40 to 1 with water (it being the 1). Wash and anything comes off. Lasts ages, in my case about 10 years. Of course you can buy it at prodigious prices as 'alloy wheel cleaner' and other such products at £10 for 500ml where the 25 litre container costs about double that price. Your choice :-)

AlexXtreme

posted on 17/10/16 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
I use WD40 to get tar marks off my "normal" cars which seems to work very well... not quite sure what else it takes off - but it works!
loggyboy

posted on 17/10/16 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Anything involving more than soapy water is detailing!

Mistral Motorsport

CosKev3

posted on 17/10/16 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
quote:

Anything involving more than soapy water is detailing!

Seems this forum is full of lazy arses!

loggyboy

posted on 17/10/16 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Seems this forum is full of lazy arses!

Time is finite - Driving>Polishing

Mistral Motorsport

r1_pete

posted on 17/10/16 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
Muc-off bike cleaner will do it, may be a bit expensive for every wash, but it gets all sorts of crap off bikes.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.