Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Off topic insurance related
luke2152

posted on 9/3/17 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
Off topic insurance related

So i had an engine fire in my everday car last month. Initially was going to claim on it but then weighed up value of vehicle (not much) vs what it will do to my no claims and decided not to claim. Anyway i said i want the vehicle back so i can break it but they said they'll only release it to a registered breaker because its a hazard. Or words to that effect. Can they even do that. Surely as I'm not claiming its still my car to do as i want with. Anyone have any experience with this?
benchmark51

posted on 9/3/17 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
If you haven't made a claim and haven't received a payout from them, the car is still your property. Inform them that you have decided to repair the car after all and you require them to return it. If they wont comply, suggest legal action and a claim for cost incurred.

What I don't understand is, how have they got possession of it in the first place.

nick205

posted on 9/3/17 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
As above - if they've not received a claim or paid out then it's still your property anyway. I can imagine the vehicle had to be recovered from the scene either to a garage for inspection or to your house. As I understand it if you claim and they pay out you should still have the right to buy back the remains of the vehicle.

luke2152

posted on 9/3/17 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

What I don't understand is, how have they got possession of it in the first place.

Well highways agency got it towed off the motorway and then when i started the claim insurance company collected it. Unfortunately i sent them my v5 as well which might make it hard to reverse things

bonzoronnie

posted on 9/3/17 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
From personal experience.

Once an insurance company have got their hands on your car, you are unlikely to see the car again unless you complete the claims process.

Been there, done that & even eaten the pie several times in the past.

If you have informed your insurance company of the fire & they have recovered your car, most likely this will still count as a claim, even if you drop it.

As the insurer has recovered the car, they have already incurred expense.
If you start to get heavy handed with them, they will most likely yield to your request.
Downside, you will be asked to pay for the recovery & for the cost of secure storage to date.
Storage costs will be grossly inflated to make sure the collection of your vehicle is not economically viable.
Bear in mind, your car may not even be in the same county anymore, they store them everywhere.

This has been my personal experience over the years.

Slimy38

posted on 9/3/17 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bonzoronnie

Storage costs will be grossly inflated to make sure the collection of your vehicle is not economically viable.
Bear in mind, your car may not even be in the same county anymore, they store them everywhere.

This has been my personal experience over the years.

Yep, same experience here. My wife bashed her mini up, just a bit of front end damage that we were going to get fixed. Unfortunately she hit another car so it had to go through insurance. The car was towed 50 miles away to a storage unit in the middle of nowhere. Not only did we have to pay the storage costs (despite us wanting the car immediately returned home which was about half a mile from the accident), we had to pay for the transport costs!!

The car was a write off, but instead of us having money to fix it, the storage and transport costs got rid of the insurance claim, and then to top it all off we had to pay the excess.

I wish we hadn't have had to get insurance involved, I could have got a couple of mates to help push it the half mile home and just got it sorted.

luke2152

posted on 9/3/17 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think they would hit me with storage costs as their email said they store it for 30 days free of charge. I'd imagine id have to pay for initial recovery. They did offer to get it to a breaker of my choice and id get the money from the breaker (less expenses no doubt). But id rather just break it myself. Their argument is duty of care which is really none of their business when its still my car.
MikeR

posted on 9/3/17 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
I've been told if the car has been in a fire the heat affects the rubber and causes it to become very acid (or something). Its supposed to be very dangerous to work on it. Found this out years ago when i was in a scrap yard and about to start stripping a car for a part.

The rules may now mean it has to go to a authorised breaker so the dangerous bits get disposed of properly.

luke2152

posted on 9/3/17 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
Also if im going to not claim (for the sake of keeping costs down next time i get insurance) should i be offering to pay for all their expense (ie. Recovery) so they have indeed not paid out any kind of claim. I'd hate them to say it still counts as a claim instead of a notification which will probably raise it a bit anyway.
bonzoronnie

posted on 9/3/17 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
I've been told if the car has been in a fire the heat affects the rubber and causes it to become very acid

The rules may now mean it has to go to a authorised breaker so the dangerous bits get disposed of properly.

That is also my understanding of the hazzards of engine fires.

Health & safety aspects of correct vehicle disposal.

That said, would not be the first time I have seen cat C fire damaged cars for sale from licensed insurance disposal companies.

Chris_Xtreme

posted on 9/3/17 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
I'd check with your insurance company, sounds like you have already made a claim as they collected the car. That to me already means you would have to declare you have made a claim. (Unless you can get them to agree that you paid for all the costs and they will remove the claim off the insurance database)
SteveWalker

posted on 9/3/17 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
I've been told if the car has been in a fire the heat affects the rubber and causes it to become very acid (or something). Its supposed to be very dangerous to work on it. Found this out years ago when i was in a scrap yard and about to start stripping a car for a part.

Years ago there was a story circulating that Viton seals when heated to high temperatures would release Hydroflouric acid. Hydroflouric acid is extremely dangerous, as it can enter the skin without burning the top layers and do severe damage below. It also attacks bone. Although the right treatment soon enough can stop it, it is not always noticeable that there is a problem and once in the bone, amputation may be the only option. However, this story was debunked and it has been considered that there is no risk from burnt cars in real world scenarios.

HSE link

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 9/3/17 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
As the insurance company has got involved already regardless of wether you get any payment from them or you get your back back it will be noted that you have a claim on your insurance so your premium will more than likely go up.
luke2152

posted on 10/3/17 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
Well I have just paid £330 for recovery and storage and have their assurances that no claim will be recorded against me and my risk profile hasn't changed (due to a fire being a random event and not an accident). I'll be happier when I have it in writing though. Next years premium would otherwise have skyrocketed from around £500 to £1500 and I might have seen an increase on the GBS and my bike as well so it did make sense.

I'm still arguing with them about whether I can have the vehicle back. The girl on the phone (who really doesn't have a clue) said she's emailed their engineering department so hopefully I can get something useful out of them. The general argument is that cat B write off has to go to a registered breaker. I just can't see how they can write it off before they own it (ie. pay out a claim).

Stevewalker that HSE link is excellent and might be just what I need to persuade them.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.