Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: You get what you pay for ?
ken555

posted on 12/6/17 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
You get what you pay for ?

Description
Description

Friend of mine took this photo yesterday of an Ariel Atom seat, doesn't look the quality I would have expected for the price.

[Edited on 12-6-17 by ken555]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coozer

posted on 12/6/17 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
LOOKS VERY THIN!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

ste

posted on 12/6/17 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
What am I missing?

It is a carbon fibre seat. It's thin because it is strong. It is a homologated seat so will be approved.

ken555

posted on 12/6/17 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ste
What am I missing?

It is a carbon fibre seat. It's thin because it is strong. It is a homologated seat so will be approved.

The weave at the edges seems a bit rough ?

Top of the head restraint and 270 degree from left harness hole.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mark chandler

posted on 13/6/17 at 02:38 AM Reply With Quote
Does look like a factory second, I would have returned it
ste

posted on 13/6/17 at 04:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ken555
quote:
Originally posted by ste
What am I missing?

Looks like any other autoclaved carbon part to be honest. It looks that was because it has been vacuumed down. the face side will have been against a mold so will be smooth.

phelpsa

posted on 13/6/17 at 05:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ste
quote:
Originally posted by ken555
quote:
Originally posted by ste
What am I missing?

Looks like any other autoclaved carbon part to be honest. It looks that was because it has been vacuumed down. the face side will have been against a mold so will be smooth.

That's not been anywhere near an autoclave

russbost

posted on 13/6/17 at 07:06 AM Reply With Quote
Loads of weave missing at the top of the seat, & to N/S above seat belt hole - no one's mentioned what looks like a crack or potential starting point for a crack in that same area? Quite frankly I think the quality looks dire!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
nick205

posted on 13/6/17 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
Not that I can afford an Atom, but if I were shelling out for one I'd definitely expect better a better finish than that.
Charlie_Zetec

posted on 13/6/17 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
Quite a large weave on the woven glass, and unsure if it's carbon fibre or just plain woven roving glass mat - composites are a lot stronger than people often give them credit for, especially with the different resins used, and even 0.05mm thickness can make a substantial difference to strength. So without knowing the composition, can't really comment about the rigidity.

But as for the aesthetics.... you'll always end up with a glass strike-through on glass fibre products unless you finish with a tissue and/or gelcoat or topcoat. As it's at the rear of a seat, why would a company spend more money (which they'd undoubtedly pass onto the customer) finishing a product when the majority of it is out of view in daily life?

Having said that, I too can see the missing weaves near the top of the headrest - looks like they've not cut the glass mat properly, and just pulled. I wouldn't be happy with that. Or the joint/cracked area top left corner of the seat belt hole that looks somewhat wafty.

As said, if I had the money to buy an Atom and that appeared, I would be rejecting it or expecting some financial recompense for that product.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

Mr Whippy

posted on 14/6/17 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
just horrid, I'm sure I could have done much better, trainee day perhaps

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.