Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Using only a bike engine wiring loom
tompat3463

posted on 7/1/18 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
Using only a bike engine wiring loom

Hi guys. I’m well into my mnr vortex build using an 09 cbr1000 engine. I have the complete engine loom with fuse box and all sensor wires, hrc Ecu and hrc loom.

I’m wondering what the draw backs are of using only this loom and extending all the wiring to where I need them. I’m following a few blogs and they have separate loom from mnr

I plan on using the bikes fuse box as this already contains all the feeds I’m going to need. Can anyone see a problem with this as on the blogs I seen them using the cbr fuse box and another separate fuse box but can’t figure out why ?

Thanks Alan

[Edited on 7/1/18 by tompat3463]

mark chandler

posted on 7/1/18 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
I have seen it done, they took the switch gear from the handle bars complete and placed behind the steering wheel like stalks, very tidy way of doing things.
Slimy38

posted on 7/1/18 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
Check the rating of the wire, for example the rear brake lights will be two bulbs at the end of a much longer run. The standard thickness may not be sufficient. Same goes for fuses.

Bikes don't have a brake fluid check circuit so you'll need to add that. Reverse lights are similar. Obviously these change if it's a track only car.

Indicator circuits will only have provision for two bulbs, a car will need three. Does a 09 Blade have the equivalent of a hazard light circuit? If not then you'll need to put that in.

SPYDER

posted on 7/1/18 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
For the reasons already given I used the OEM loom for the engine and HP fuel pump but added a supplementary loom for all the lights, LP pump, rad fans, etc.
Instead of additional fuses I used some aviation type circuit breakers with pop-out buttons.
For the main isolator, LP pump and fans I found some neat switches that have circuit breakers built in.

ReMan

posted on 7/1/18 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
I and many others used the bike loom.Albeit there are obviously some extension, alterations and additions to make. This is mainly around the choice of switchgear
I used the bike fusebox, but added another, for all the rear lights and stuff and additionial powered items. for But for the main and bespoke connectors to engine, eco etc it makes it easier. ( Easier not easy!)

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

scootz

posted on 7/1/18 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
It's what I'm planning to do (extending the wiring on the bike loom to suit the dimensions of the car).

I'm also going to install the bike-switchgear on stalks behind the steering wheel.

Fingers crossed its as easy in practice as it seems to be in my head!

It's Evolution Baby!

johnnybizzle1986

posted on 7/1/18 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
I've done both my bike powers cars with the bike loom, work pretty well
scootz

posted on 7/1/18 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
It seems straightforward in my head if using the bikes switchgear - probably a bit TOO straightforward!

Extend the loom appropriately, then add standalone switches for:

1. Fog Light
2. Brake Test Light
3. Hazard Warning Lights
4. Reverse Light (if you can be bothered - I can't).

It's Evolution Baby!

ReMan

posted on 7/1/18 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
It's what I'm planning to do (extending the wiring on the bike loom to suit the dimensions of the car).

I'm also going to install the bike-switchgear on stalks behind the steering wheel.

Fingers crossed its as easy in practice as it seems to be in my head!

Way to go!
As long as your happy with the aestetics.
Its a trodden route and makes it easier still

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.