Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Trying to understand vacuum hoses
craigdiver

posted on 16/3/18 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
Trying to understand vacuum hoses

Trying to get my head round the vacuum hoses on my BMW M52TU25 engine, one in particular (which can be seen in photo below) was feeding the brake master cylinder, it appears from under the intake manifold then tees onto a pipe that goes to the intake a few inches after the MAF, the branch of the tee goes through what looks like a one way valve then went to feed the brake master cylinder. Can I remove these pipes and cap off the pipe from under the intake manifold and air intake?

If it ain't broken, fix it anyway (just because).

Building - BMW powered Haynes Roadster/442E hybrid.

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

rodgling

posted on 16/3/18 at 11:25 PM Reply With Quote
Presumably if it was supplying vacuum to the brake booster you don't need it - so block it off. The RealOEM diagrams are helpful for this sort of thing:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=CD11-EUR-01-1998-E36-BMW-328i&diagId=34_0534

craigdiver

posted on 17/3/18 at 07:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rodgling
Presumably if it was supplying vacuum to the brake booster you don't need it - so block it off. The RealOEM diagrams are helpful for this sort of thing:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=CD11-EUR-01-1998-E36-BMW-328i&diagId=34_0534

That was very useful - thanks. Looks like the pipework that I described is part of the main vacuum generator and the pipe to the air inlet is for vacuum control - so will leave as is. I will remove the pipe that went to the brake servo and blank it off.

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

rodgling

posted on 17/3/18 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
By the way, do you have the ASC traction control system there? If I were you I'd remove it and replace with the standard throttle body, by all accounts it's not worth having. Might as well simplify, save a bit of weight and remove an airflow restriction? I probably have a spare standard 328 throttle body lying around if you want one?
craigdiver

posted on 17/3/18 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rodgling
By the way, do you have the ASC traction control system there? If I were you I'd remove it and replace with the standard throttle body, by all accounts it's not worth having. Might as well simplify, save a bit of weight and remove an airflow restriction? I probably have a spare standard 328 throttle body lying around if you want one?

I don’t think the donor 2000 523i had traction control (M52TU25 engine)? how can I tell?

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

rodgling

posted on 17/3/18 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
Judging by this diagram it did, or at least it might have been an option:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=DM31-EUR-01-2000-E39-BMW-523i&diagId=13_0409

Just see if it has two throttle bodies (ASC) or just one (no ASC). ASC TB is part 4 in that diagram, main TB is next to part 6.

[Edited on 17/3/18 by rodgling]

craigdiver

posted on 17/3/18 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
does this help.....

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.