Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Thinking of buying a BMW 3 SERIES 2.0 320I SE
Mash

posted on 13/12/18 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
Thinking of buying a BMW 3 SERIES 2.0 320I SE

Hi folks,

Getting fed up with having a bright orange Transit as my only form of transport (great van, and I will be keeping it though), so I've been looking around nd fancy a BMW 3 series. Don't have huge amounts to spend, but I can get a 2.0 320I SE for about 6500-7000 quid and they look OK, any thoughts or horror stories

cheers,
Mash

rusty nuts

posted on 13/12/18 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
Most of the BMWs I've seen have indicator faults!!
Daf

posted on 13/12/18 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
What year are you looking at? I've had many 3 series over the years and love them as a daily driver - currently have a 320d touring, a diesel estate car shouldn't be capable of taking corners like that thing!

There are issues with timing chains, guides and bits on some of the petrol engines. Also there was a period of time when BMW made a one piece oil control ring that wears very quickly leading to high oil consumption.

Presumably you're looking at the E90/92 car?

Daf

posted on 13/12/18 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts

Really? I should check mine work then - I never use them so wouldn't know!

Dingz

posted on 13/12/18 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
Make sure it has a reasonable service history, I have a E90 318i owned for 8? years lovely well made car had a problem with Nox sensor which had to be replaced, not cheap other than that been fine. Just been in for a recall on wiring connector issues Leather interior still in great condition. Wife has later 320D convertible what an engine! first diesel we had, just after buying it the diesel scandal broke, so far so good.

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

nick205

posted on 13/12/18 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts

Figured that comment would come sooner or later

Brother in law has an E30 320i convertible summer car and a 2016 320d touring daily driver. He's a devout BMW fan through and through (won't admit to it, but I suspect he probably wears M3 boxer shorts). He's ribbed greatly about indicators as well.

nero1701

posted on 13/12/18 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
I've an e90 335i, it's twin turbo 3 litre petrol, it's had a map, air filters and intercooler, pulls like a rocket, returns a fairly respectable 20.9 mpg average over the year l, looks great, sounds great
I love it

steve m

posted on 13/12/18 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
Since when is "20.9 mpg average over the year " respectable ?

I wouldn't even drive let alone own a car that did less than 35 ish MPG, even my thrashed 7 gets around 30 mpg

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

nero1701

posted on 14/12/18 at 06:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m

I wouldn't even drive let alone own a car that did less than 35 ish MPG, even my thrashed 7 gets around 30 mpg

I do very few miles per year, so I can justify havinga thirsty car.

I've owned evos, Scooby, rx8's and s3's..some of which gave single digit npg's

My 20.9 is respectable by comparison.

However, bear in mind Steve, it's only my opinion.

steve m

posted on 14/12/18 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
Fair comment, and as you say your opinion.

not mine

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

nick205

posted on 14/12/18 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m

I'm with you on this Steve!

Admittedly when driving I was clocking up 30-40k miles/ year and mainly in company cars. A diesel with 55+mpg helped me minimise the tax it cost me, but I get a strange pleasure from racking up a good high MPG in a car.

Mash

posted on 14/12/18 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daf
What year are you looking at? I've had many 3 series over the years and love them as a daily driver - currently have a 320d touring, a diesel estate car shouldn't be capable of taking corners like that thing!

There are issues with timing chains, guides and bits on some of the petrol engines. Also there was a period of time when BMW made a one piece oil control ring that wears very quickly leading to high oil consumption.

Presumably you're looking at the E90/92 car?

It's a 2010 60 plate car, think that might be an E91 (no idea what that means) and I think it will have an N43 engine(or that either) It has got a full service history.

Slight problem is that it's in Sidcup, and I'm over in Dorset, so it's difficult for me to go and have a look at it I might be able to get a mate who lives in Maidstone to look at it for me though, but he's not a car person.

Thanks everyone for the replies

sdh2903

posted on 14/12/18 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
21mpg from a 400 ish bhp car is very respectable.

My e46 330i would only average 25.

Daf

posted on 14/12/18 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
N43 engine is a good lump, better than its predecessor – although like anything it pays to look after it. If it’s got service history you should be okay, it’s a car forum so you know how important stuff like servicing and good oils are and these engines like to be looked after.

The E number defines the model of the BMW (although now they’ve run out and gone on to F) – the E30 was the best BMW ever(!), E36 was the next 3 series then the E46 was the next etc. the E91 is the 3 series touring, E90 – 4 door, E92 – 2 door coupe from the same years, all very confusing and doesn't really follow any particular pattern!

Lovely cars, I drive an F31 daily and if I won the lottery I'd still use it as my daily driver.

Daf

posted on 14/12/18 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903

Was that in oil or petrol???

nero1701

posted on 14/12/18 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Exactly !!

sdh2903

posted on 14/12/18 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daf
quote:

It never used a drop of oil in 2 years. Petrol on the other hand.......

Mind you it was a slush box. My mate had the manual and was easily getting 4-5mpg more doing similar driving.

Daf

posted on 14/12/18 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Daf
quote:

It never used a drop of oil in 2 years. Petrol on the other hand.......

Mind you it was a slush box. My mate had the manual and was easily getting 4-5mpg more doing similar driving.

I'm surprised - those M54 engines are known for burning oil, you must have had one of the few good ones! The piston rings were a one piece design that wear prematurely - my wife's car has this engine and we go through a liter of oil every 1k miles!

gaz_gaz

posted on 14/12/18 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

2016 F31 335D here.. remapped so 390bhp and 560 ft/lb of torque and it does 50mpg on a run.. coded so the active sound plays V10 noises. Just don't drive it with the windows open. Sounds like a John Deere

[Edited on 14/12/18 by gaz_gaz]

Mash

posted on 14/12/18 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daf
N43 engine is a good lump, better than its predecessor – although like anything it pays to look after it. If it’s got service history you should be okay, it’s a car forum so you know how important stuff like servicing and good oils are and these engines like to be looked after.

The E number defines the model of the BMW (although now they’ve run out and gone on to F) – the E30 was the best BMW ever(!), E36 was the next 3 series then the E46 was the next etc. the E91 is the 3 series touring, E90 – 4 door, E92 – 2 door coupe from the same years, all very confusing and doesn't really follow any particular pattern!

Lovely cars, I drive an F31 daily and if I won the lottery I'd still use it as my daily driver.

Thanks Daf, that's really useful, so that ties in nicely as it's a 2 door coupe, making it an E92.

Think I'll look a little more closely then

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.