Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Small alternator info...
SPYDER

posted on 13/2/19 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
Small alternator info...

Hi everyone. My small alternator has arrived so I thought I would post details and a few pics to aid anyone looking for similar or who might search the topic in the future.
It is a NIPPON DENSO item removed from a Kubota mini digger. I found it on a well known auction site for £38 plus post.
Body diameter is 110mm
Body length is 120mm
Centreline to centre of mounting hole 80mm
Centreline to threaded hole opposite 75mm
It has the usual three pin Denso connector plus the main current post.
It came with a Vee belt type pulley which I have removed to fit a poly-vee type.

gremlin1234

posted on 13/2/19 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
this page has the full spec
https://www.unistart.co.uk/product/114263-alternator-1077

Mr Whippy

posted on 13/2/19 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
£193 though for a 50 amp... very pricey

You can buy a 90 amp polo alt for £70!

Or carbuilders sells compact 40 amps for £117

linky

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 13/2/19 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
£120 on eBay
big_wasa

posted on 13/2/19 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
But none of the above are actually made by Denso.
I can’t remember the price but Starterman on here does locosters a great price on one of his new 40a small alternators. Same lug mounting as above.

You may want to look at the pulley ratio’s as there are lots and lots of cases of these little Kybuto alternators not liking stepping up from 2000rpm to 8000rpm. I’ve sumised the bearings to be of a lesser quality and have been told I am talking bollox but no alternative explanation has been offered.

You can buy a genuine S/h Denso 40a alternator from a Suzuki Gsf600 for less than £30. Just make sure you get one with the internal and not external regulator. It has different lug mounts and a tappered shaft but with the use of a lathe you can turn the Cush drive basket in to a 17mm bush for any standard 6pk pulley. Mines an 80mm from a Lucas found on a 1.8 cvh.

I’ve found two alternators on eBay for a tenner each.

eBay Item

[Edited on 13/2/19 by big_wasa]

SPYDER

posted on 13/2/19 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
... these little Kybuto alternators not liking stepping up from 2000rpm to 8000rpm.

This thought occurred to me too. My main drive pulley has two drive diameters. My existing alternator runs on the larger of the two. Part of the reason for going to a smaller unit is to move it backwards to use the smaller diameter.
I'm going to make a driven pulley which will be around 80mm, much larger than standard.
This will hopefully keep the alternator revs down a bit.

starterman

posted on 13/2/19 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SPYDER
quote:
... these little Kybuto alternators not liking stepping up from 2000rpm to 8000rpm.

This thought occurred to me too. My main drive pulley has two drive diameters. My existing alternator runs on the larger of the two. Part of the reason for going to a smaller unit is to move it backwards to use the smaller diameter.
I'm going to make a driven pulley which will be around 80mm, much larger than standard.
This will hopefully keep the alternator revs down a bit.

The three pins are P, IG, L

starterman

posted on 13/2/19 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
Actually Warren, the ones with Denso on aren't made by Denso. Like most alternators and starters they are built by a third party for Denso

quote:
But none of the above are actually made by Denso.
I can’t remember the price but Starterman on here does locosters a great price on one of his new 40a small alternators. Same lug mounting as above.

You may want to look at the pulley ratio’s as there are lots and lots of cases of these little Kybuto alternators not liking stepping up from 2000rpm to 8000rpm. I’ve sumised the bearings to be of a lesser quality and have been told I am talking bollox but no alternative explanation has been offered.

You can buy a genuine S/h Denso 40a alternator from a Suzuki Gsf600 for less than £30. Just make sure you get one with the internal and not external regulator. It has different lug mounts and a tappered shaft but with the use of a lathe you can turn the Cush drive basket in to a 17mm bush for any standard 6pk pulley. Mines an 80mm from a Lucas found on a 1.8 cvh.

I’ve found two alternators on eBay for a tenner each.

eBay Item

[Edited on 13/2/19 by big_wasa]

SJ

posted on 15/2/19 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
I have the exact same Kubota digger alternator. Mine's been on of a good few years [though not that many miles!] and has had no bearing issues.

On the connections, if it is like mine you will find the ignition light output is just a voltage signal. If you connect to a bulb or led it won't light up. I ended up using a diode to switch a supply to the light on my Acewell dash.

starterman

posted on 15/2/19 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SJ
I have the exact same Kubota digger alternator. Mine's been on of a good few years [though not that many miles!] and has had no bearing issues.

On the connections, if it is like mine you will find the ignition light output is just a voltage signal. If you connect to a bulb or led it won't light up. I ended up using a diode to switch a supply to the light on my Acewell dash.

How many small wires are you connecting to the alternator?

SJ

posted on 15/2/19 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
Three small wires plus the battery feed.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.