Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engineering challenge
Sam_68

posted on 27/4/19 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
I would get someone in there as far as they can go to survey the pipe.

Absolutely do NOT send anyone in there without breathing equipment. There are a lot of deaths in such circumstances due to pockets of carbon dioxide.

ALLAN 14

posted on 27/4/19 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
Get a quote from the people who survey sewer pipes the little tug they use is waterproof and can go a very long way.
get them to work from one end and when the tug appears at the end tie a blue nylon rope onto it and let them pull it back.
If the camera tug is too expensive they also use a water-powered device which is like a pointed steel pipe with rear facing holes,
water is fed in and the water being forced out drives the pipe forwards.
Try an agricultural land drain contractor they use the same type of gear.

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 27/4/19 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
bearing in mind the length, are the options for air powered / water things powered from a generator / pump at one end practical? I can't imagine any of them wanting to deal with more than 100 or 200m. The weight of the hose would be huge.

You don't say what is at either end except a farm.

I'd be tempted to push / flush a lot of water through the tunnel to try and clear anything already in there out - however thats a huge amount of water.

I was going to suggest someone from the local caving club, on a 'great escape' trolley with air working through the tunnel. However the friction on the line against the floor when pulled through would be huge and the only way i could imagine it wouldn't break would if it was quite thick, which means impossibly heavy to pull. putting the line on the trolley doesn't help as you still need to pull it to get the cable you want to lay through the tunnel.

So my conclusion is flood the tunnel and fire a torpedo through - with wheels (or something) to ensure it stays central. Hopefully the friction of the water is less than that of the tunnel walls/ weight of the rope.

ReMan

posted on 28/4/19 at 12:13 AM Reply With Quote
A km a s a long way for an unmanned device even / especially one tethered by cable/pipe, and adding in the water hurdle. I think you going* to be lucky to do it yourself, but hope you can

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

02GF74

posted on 28/4/19 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
The distance is the real problem. Pipe crawlers, a buggy with 4 large wheels are available for typically £35,000 but tend to be tethered so have a range to around 300m.

As mentioned pulling a rope is likely not to work due to weight and friction.

Was the water flowing in the pipe pumped or under gravity. If latter, then blocking one end, filling it with water and putting a float to a fishing may be the best hope.

My calculations show pipe is 1/4 million litre so a fair amount of water. You may need to make reservoirs, tarp over a line of bricks to collect rain water.

coyoteboy

posted on 28/4/19 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
I'm now sitting back and expecting at least regular videos of the attempts to do this, I feel like it could be either very quick or a YouTube channel.

Simon

posted on 28/4/19 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Babylon

gremlin1234

posted on 28/4/19 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
I'm now sitting back and expecting at least regular videos of the attempts to do this, I feel like it could be either very quick or a YouTube channel.

perhaps a new ch4 show
'so you think your an engineer'
similar to / a cross between
great egg race, and scrapheap challenge

(I claim © on the idea unless prior art is out there)

ReMan

posted on 28/4/19 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Would it be fair to say this link to drawing below (cant upload pics here're anymore) represents the situation?
PIPE HILL!

I'm proper intrigued and interested on it!
I've also looked online the closest I seen=m to get in uk is
https://ritelite.co.uk/cable-duct-rodding-systems/
But even then, max (standard length 600 meters

Chris original idea of a motorised sprung loaded wheeled waterproof sled driving battery powered robot is probably the most realistic, but I wonder also what the inside of the pipe is like?
Is it plastic or iron? Likely to be debris in it or just water?
As mentioend how much water as that could be a project in itself if it needs to be emptied (secretly?!)

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Mr Whippy

posted on 29/4/19 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
Simply launch a large hobby rocket with fishing line attached on a reel up the pipe...it should cover that distance in a few second plus they go like a bat out of hell underwater too. You'd want long robust plastic rocket tube, maybe 1m long and a metal nose cone.

Just make sure you catch it in a net at the other end....

[Edited on 29/4/19 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Angel Acevedo

posted on 29/4/19 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
Hiring a diver is not that far fetched.
I think 1 km is very doable with a couple of tanks that will provide ample reserve.
and 600 mm diameter is ok provided there are no serious kinks or obstructions.

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 29/4/19 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
ChrisW

I'm sure you've probably considered all these, but...

Is there no route around the land to avoid the pipe and having no access to the land?

I'm guessing the connection speeds would be slower, but is there not a wireless method?

Can you "splice" the unwilling land owner into the connection somehow to make it worth their while allowing access?

Angel Acevedo

posted on 29/4/19 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
ChrisW

I'm sure you've probably considered all these, but...

Is there no route around the land to avoid the pipe and having no access to the land?

I'm guessing the connection speeds would be slower, but is there not a wireless method?

Can you "splice" the unwilling land owner into the connection somehow to make it worth their while allowing access?

I like that kind of lateral thinking..

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

Sam_68

posted on 29/4/19 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
You could always give Elon Musk a call?
gremlin1234

posted on 29/4/19 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
to check the path of the pipe, it maybe worth looking at google earth aerial images, since a pipe in the ground /can/ affect how crops grow.
note also google earth has 'historic' images so should be possible to see in different seasons,

Mr Whippy

posted on 29/4/19 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Why do you need a fibre optic cable anyway can you not just transmit the signal
nick205

posted on 1/5/19 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
Another thought...

What's the landowner got against giving you access...crops, livestock, grumpy?

[Edited on 2/5/19 by nick205]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.