Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: 2018 Q plate and MOT emissions...
furryeggs

posted on 24/5/19 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
2018 Q plate and MOT emissions...

My tiger passed it’s emissions at IVA with my current exhaust and CAT. I am in the process of fitting a new exhaust and am thinking of ditching the CAT... When the MOT comes round in a couple of years am I going to have to pass the same emissions level.

2.0 zetec (2000) on throttle bodies and Emerald ECU

avagolen

posted on 24/5/19 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Historically Q plates have only been tested for visible smoke. My car was IVA'd as 1995 pre cat system and given an age related plate. Last year the tester did not put it on the analyser, but this year he did as he said they are getting tighter on the emmisions. My V5 does not mention the emmisions on the page with all the vehicle specifications, but on the front page at the bottom, there is a note which cannot be changed that states the emmisions. I would closely check your V5 to see if there is any reference to emmisions and be aware that they might change the recommendations and stick to them.

The Answer for everything, but never the last word....

theconrodkid

posted on 25/5/19 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
a lot of testing stations dont have a clue about imports / historic / Q plates so best to find somewhere that does or you could end up with a fail.
as above, Q USED to be a visual only

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

sdh2903

posted on 25/5/19 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
Latest q plates get tested at the engine year levels now. Usually written on the v5.

Only if no limits quoted on the v5 does it get visual smoke only.

big_wasa

posted on 25/5/19 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
I got told at my last mot, if I change the engine and it’s obviously different to the last they will base the emissions on the engines age.
furryeggs

posted on 25/5/19 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
I’ll keep the cat then...
SteveWalker

posted on 25/5/19 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
I got told at my last mot, if I change the engine and it’s obviously different to the last they will base the emissions on the engines age.

The MOT testing manual seems to say that he is wrong.

"You must test kit cars or amateur built vehicles to the limits in the vehicle's registration document (V5c). If the V5c doesn't show any limits, you must test it to the limits of the engine fitted at the time of the SVA or IVA test."

and

"For emissions purposes only you should treat the following as first used before 1 August 1975:
kit cars and amateur built vehicles first used before 1 August 1998
Wankel rotary engined vehicles first used before 1 August 1987
Q plated vehicles"

But the 2019 additional notes don't seem to mention Q plates - although they don't seem to cancel the existing text either.

[Edited on 25/5/19 by SteveWalker]

A further look seems to show that the two sections quoted above still remain part of the manual.

[Edited on 25/5/19 by SteveWalker]

chillis

posted on 27/5/19 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
Whilst its not part of the MOT test yet, it is coming.
The MOT emissions will relate much more to the engine rather than the chassis, so if your car Q plate or othetwise was visible smoke when registered and the engine remains the same then it will still be visible smoke but if you fit a more modern engine then the MOT emissions will change to those of the engine you have fitted. Further this is not retrospective in so far as if you fit a visible smoke engine in place of a cat engine then you will still need to meet cat emissions for the MOT.
Its mainly aimed at the custom car boys fitting modern engines into old cars.

Never under estimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.