Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Shock Absorber Travel Question
woodsy144

posted on 19/8/19 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
Shock Absorber Travel Question

Hello,

I am looking at building a mid engined bike powered vehicle, so light weight. I am HOPING 300kg....... (slightly optimistic but have to aim high)
I am currently thinking suspension travel to be around 60mm ( in bump & rebound (120mm total)

During my sourcing travels, I have been very fortunate enough to be given 4 Yamaha R6 shock absorbers. Great light weight units with adjustable damping.
Issue is travel, they have approx 45mm of travel total (before hit bump stop)

So a motion ratio of about 0.375 to 1
Question is, is it worth while creating a bell crank or place them in a position to use these shocks (ie create a motion ratio suitable).
Or is the motion ratio way to small to chase?

coyoteboy

posted on 20/8/19 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
I'd be wanting to know what the motion ratio and loading was in the normal operation - if you're going from 2:1 to 0.3:1 you might find your damping doesn't have the adjustability you require.

woodsy144

posted on 20/8/19 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
this is the shock in its 'natural environment'. Looking at this setup it appears to be a very low motion ratio set up.

SPYDER

posted on 20/8/19 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
The bike rear wheel will have a similar travel. Make up a crank system as you propose and it should be OK. You may need to change the springs though. The standard spring is probably in the 400-500 lb range. You might be lucky depending on your crank geometry. I have R1 shocks all round on my Phoenix. No crank arrangement but consequently a limited wheel travel which is OK for track use. I fitted different springs. The range of damping adjustment on the R1 shock is huge. Hopefully the R6 shock has a similar range.
MikeRJ

posted on 20/8/19 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Note that these monoshock swing arms have a massively rising rate, approaching infinity at the end of the range.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.