Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: FWD engine with driveshafts to front of engine
Simon

posted on 24/8/19 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
FWD engine with driveshafts to front of engine

OK, bit of a weird question but does anyone know of a decent engine/box combo from a front wheel drive car, where the engine sits behind the gearbox driveshafts; there are loads with engine in front. Alternatively a longitudinally mounted fwd car with engine behind box (I think early Renault 5), but much later engine/boxes.

Just thinking aloud atm

Ta

adithorp

posted on 24/8/19 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
Don't think there's any transverse with driveshafts ahead of engine.

Only inline engines with the box infront of the motor were Renault 4, 5(MK1), 6, 16

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

COREdevelopments

posted on 25/8/19 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
Only ever seen a Toyota IQ with that arrangement but transverse.

Rob

[Edited on 25/8/19 by COREdevelopments]

jelly head

posted on 25/8/19 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
Just thinking n the hoof here so bear with and i could well be talking a load of bolx...

i seem to think some earler honda engines ran counter clockwise so take an earler gearbox, mate it to a newer clockwise rotating engine, turn the whole lot through 180 degrees et voila: drive shafts at the front.

harmchar

posted on 25/8/19 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
Can't think of a production engine gearbox combo that has the gearbox in front of the engine.
Closest you might get is a classic mini setup. It's got one of the shortest gearboxes I know of. Engine would still be ahead of gearbox though.
Following where this thread goes out of curiosity (and for knowledge, if anyone does come up with reverse layout eng/gbox combo)
Good luck.
Charlie

[Edited on 25/8/19 by harmchar]

harmchar

posted on 25/8/19 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_mid-engine,_front-wheel-drive_layout#/media/File%3AChassisroulant.JPG

Well I stand corrected. Link hopefully shows a Renault 4 with fwd setup and gearbox ahead of engine. Gotta love google.

And just spotted that Renault 4 was mentioned above. Ooops.

[Edited on 25/8/19 by harmchar]

v8kid

posted on 25/8/19 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
You can flip the gearbox over if its a longitudinal engine. Quite common with Renault 25 gearboxes in RWD to get the C of G lower

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gremlin1234

posted on 25/8/19 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
from wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-engine_design
quote:

MF layout – Mid-engine / Front-wheel drive

Front mid-engine position / Front-wheel drive
These cars are "mid-ship engined" vehicles, but they use front-wheel drive, with the engine in front of the driver. It is still treated as an FF layout, though, due to the engine's placement still being in the front of the car, contrary to the popular belief that the engine is placed in front of the rear axle with power transferred to the front wheels (an RMF layout). In most examples, the engine is longitudinally mounted rather than the transversely as is common with FF cars.

Citroën Traction Avant, DS, SM
Cord 810
Nissan GT-R LM Nismo
Renault 4, 5, 16
Saab Sonett mk1
Acura Vigor 3rd generation, TL ( only the 2.5 TL )
Maserati Quattroporte II 1974–1978
Toyota/Scion iQ, Aston Martin Cygnet

you may be able to use engine/gearbox from a rear engined car too
list at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rear-engine_design

nick205

posted on 25/8/19 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
Can we ask what vehicle design / application you have in mind?

Longitudinal not transverse I'll admit, but don't Ultima use a Porsche G50 gearbox inverted on their cars to achieve mid engine RWD configuration?

obfripper

posted on 25/8/19 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
Merc a class to 2008 is the only other modern one i can think of, they are an odd arangement though, with the sump, ac and alternator under the drivers feet.

Peugeot 204 & early 305 diesel and petrol have the crownwheel and driveshafts at the front of the gearbox, iirc the engines rotate anticlockwise, and are mounted on the left like a honda.

The xy/douvrin peugeot citroen renault engine has the gearbox on the back of the block, and is laid back at 72°, the driveshafts come out under the middle of the engine.

Dave

big_wasa

posted on 25/8/19 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
I know you said fwd but If you stick a Porsche Boxster engine in the front won’t it give you what you want ?
coyoteboy

posted on 26/8/19 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
There are sod all and flipping the box is a pain for a lot of boxes due to leaking from selector shafts and vents etc.

This is how I ended up going longitudinal with an 01E transaxle.

rusty nuts

posted on 26/8/19 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
Air cooled Beetle box could be fairly easily modified to suit I believe? There are already various adaptor plates available to suit various engines. Someone was selling a Mazda MX5 engined Fugitive sandrail on here last week with links to how he did the job
Toys2

posted on 26/8/19 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure that I read some of the Quattro Audi's have that longitudinal layout and kit builders blank of the output to the rear?
I think I also read that certain albeit rare 2wd Audi's have the configuration that you describe
Sorry for the vagueness !

[Edited on 26/8/19 by Toys2]

fregis

posted on 26/8/19 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
Make it, use honda fwd engine and connect to non honda gearbox, or vice versa.
Because honda engine rotates anticlockwise, connected non honda gearbox you have 5 reverse gears So need evrything rotate 180deg to get normal drivable direction.

I know guy which put honda engine to golf, at first test drive understood it have 5 reverse gears wasnt intention

[Edited on 27/8/19 by fregis]

Never be afraid to do what you are insolvent, remember: amateurs built the ark - Professionals built the Titanic.

Simon

posted on 28/8/19 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
It's for a Beetle project that I might actually try and finish this time

Keep looking at EJ205 Impreza engine, going to go down the RX8 front subframe/suspension set up. Reading Toys2 comment about the Audi (had been thinking about the V8's) but didn't know about the blanking of rwd output

Car arrives Friday so....

coyoteboy

posted on 29/8/19 at 12:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon

Keep looking at EJ205 Impreza engine, going to go down the RX8 front subframe/suspension set up. Reading Toys2 comment about the Audi (had been thinking about the V8's) but didn't know about the blanking of rwd output

There's no need to blank the output if you buy a non-quattro box. I got mine from a A6 2.5Tdi - 6spd, 2wd 01E box. They also do an 01A box which would work and is shorter but handles less power (mine's getting the 01E because I'll be running a twin turbo v8).

Simon

posted on 29/8/19 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
quote:
Originally posted by Simon

There's no need to blank the output if you buy a non-quattro box. I got mine from a A6 2.5Tdi - 6spd, 2wd 01E box. They also do an 01A box which would work and is shorter but handles less power (mine's getting the 01E because I'll be running a twin turbo v8).

Does the V8 bolt straight to your diesel box or require an adaptor?

Cheers

[Edited on 30/8/19 by Simon]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.