Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Parked car hit by bike insurance .......
JC

posted on 9/12/19 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
Parked car hit by bike insurance .......

My Daughters car was hit by a rider on his bike test whilst parked. The examiner left a note on the car with the contact number of the riding school. When I initially called they said that they were associated with a local Honda dealer and they offered to fix the damage without going to insurance. They took the car for a few days and looked at the damage and then agreed to fix it when the shop had some spare time.......after 2 weeks I went back to them to ask how long we would have to wait as there was now rust coming through the paint damage and they are now disputing that the damage was caused by their rider and saying they want independent verification from 2 insurance approved repairers etc....

I have gone to my daughters insurance company and they are saying that without the name and reg. of the bike involved we will have to pay the policy excess and my daughter will loose her no claims, unless they can establish who was involved etc.

I’ve left multiple messages with the training company but no reply to my request for these details. I’ve tried to contact the test centre but there are no phone numbers etc. for them.

The car is an old 2005 car, the damage is a tear in the bumper and damage to the metal panel underneath - not huge but enough to dent (haha) it’s resale.

What do I do next......?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
peter030371

posted on 9/12/19 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
Isn't failing to give full details after an accident a criminal offence? Threaten them with reporting it to the police if they won't give the full details of the rider and bike.

Personally if they have messed you about after you had been perfectly reasonable I would want to go after them in the small claims court for any uninsured loss i.e. excess plus your time to sort it out!

coyoteboy

posted on 9/12/19 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
Just report it to the police, for leaving the scene of an accident without giving full details. This is a criminal offence. Let someone else deal with it properly, poor show from a training school.

ReMan

posted on 9/12/19 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
As above on this one ^^^
And see if that gets some progress
The detail should be very easily obtained with the right leverage.
I wonder if the bike was unisnsured and they're hoping that messing you about on an old motor will make you give up

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Tazzzzman1

posted on 9/12/19 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
Wouldn't bother with reporting it to the Cop Police...nothing will get done as they are too busy issuing speeding tickets...

Wife was sat in her car in a shop car park when a woman reversed her car into the side of the Wife's.
When my wife confronted the woman, she looked around, then said no witness's, damage was already there before and drove off. My Wife took photos of the other driver and car and went straight to the police station (actually 3 police stations before she found one which was manned).
When she eventually got to speak with a police officer they were more interested in the fact that the wifes registration did not match the DVLA (this was because DVLA system had not updated in the 2 weeks since the private reg was issued....)
Police response eventually was, we will contact the other driver and let you know...12 months on and after chasing the police, still no response. In the end ended up paying out of my own pocket....

So get saving bud if you want it sorting

ReMan

posted on 9/12/19 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
I aggree ^^
Why I said see if anything happens first.....
police response vaies depending whet you are
If not then if the repair is less that your excess NC and then unlucky.

Also your insurance now know youve had a bump, so be careful when you renew that they dont load you for the privilege even though no payout

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

rusty nuts

posted on 9/12/19 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
The cost of claiming against the bike company is peanuts if you go the small claims route plus it might be a good idea to actually go to the test center and ask for examiner by name, he would remember the incident!
JC

posted on 9/12/19 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
I think a trip to the test centre is definitely in order...
Followed by the main dealer that they are associated with....I’m sure Honda don’t want to be associated with this sort of thing!
Then try the police as a last resort....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 9/12/19 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
My experiences over the decades of similar incidents puts me on the wavelength of Tazzzzman1 and ReMan.

It's a 2005 car, the damage is cosmetic. Is it really worth getting the insurance/etc./etc. involved? My experiences are of grief, best avoided.

You'll now have a 'reported accident' on your insurance file, whether your fault or not, that will matter.
If you really want the ultimate in grief, get a claims company involved...

coyoteboy

posted on 9/12/19 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
As a counter point, I got the police involved in my minor damage claim and after a slow start, eventually got a full side respray and repair foc from the third party insurance company on what was initially accepted as 50:50 by my insurance.

Always worth the effort once the insurance know about it, make them work for the premium they charge.

steve m

posted on 9/12/19 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
My take on the above

report it to the police
text the number you have for the examiner, and say its been reported, with the reference no,
giving them 24 hours to come up with their insurance details, or court proceeding will be next

I had to do exactly the above, and the American Airforce guy gave me all the details on a text
and we never heard or had any other dealing with them, my car was fixed (5.5k worth of damage)

if nothing heard back, then go to the test center and Honda, with the threat of court action

However a 2005 car is worth nothing now, as I had t scrap a perfectly good usable 2008 Mondeo,
as no one was interested

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

bi22le

posted on 9/12/19 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
I aggree ^^
Why I said see if anything happens first.....
police response vaies depending whet you are
If not then if the repair is less that your excess NC and then unlucky.

Also your insurance now know youve had a bump, so be careful when you renew that they dont load you for the privilege even though no payout

This second point is a big one. Unfortunately you have now contacted the insurance and mentioned you have been in an accident. They will log that and use it against you.

My sister in law reversed into a post. It of interest she phoned up to see what the excess was as she wanted it repaired. It was too much so she did nothing about it. Fast forward to renewal day and it flashed up as a fault accident. No claim made, no money exchanged hands. The "any accidents, claims or convictions regardless of fault or circumstance" is a money earner.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Mr Whippy

posted on 10/12/19 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
Its a shame you didn't take advantage of the insurance policy your paying for especially since you were not at fault. I'd recommend never settling with the other party and only ever go through the correct process, then you'll be covered if repairs are badly done, they have a set time to do the repairs and the repairs will be done by a body shop who use authorised procedures. Sadly your kindness to help the other party seems to have backfired and now they are playing games.

It's worth noting that modern cars can be an utter pig to repair due to the use of high strength steels and structural adhesives so they do need to be done in an approved body shop, I have a 2002 car that this applies to.

In your case, tbh I'd just drop it and fix your car yourself, given the age the insurance company's won't see it worth repairing (they may even write it off) and I think they could argue that since you did not follow the policy procedure after an accident they don't have to cover you.

mark chandler

posted on 10/12/19 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
Police will just say civil matter, complete waste of time... Been there

Best to give up before you get too angry and frustrated with it as the chance of a happy resolution is practically zero.

MikeRJ

posted on 11/12/19 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Its a shame you didn't take advantage of the insurance policy your paying for especially since you were not at fault.

As soon as you "take advantage" of your own insurers the chances of your premium being loaded is high, irrespective of fault.

Mr Whippy

posted on 12/12/19 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Its a shame you didn't take advantage of the insurance policy your paying for especially since you were not at fault.

As soon as you "take advantage" of your own insurers the chances of your premium being loaded is high, irrespective of fault.

true but not using them can easily turn round a bite you. I once rear ended a car that out braked me on a roundabout (classic car...), guy was fine about it and didn't care, only mine was damaged. Few months later, I get a phone call from his insurance buggers now suing me for £25,000 whiplash injuries! That was till I told them my car didn't even have seatbelts fitted and I was perfectly fine and his car wasn't even marked...

Trust no one.

[Edited on 12/12/19 by Mr Whippy]

JC

posted on 13/12/19 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Well, after many days of repeated messages left on the answerphone, I have finally got some details from the company.....
Passed it to my insurance company but at the moment the system isn’t showing any insurance for them....hmmmm. My insurance company say it doesn’t necessarily mean they are not insured and are looking into it.

JC

posted on 1/1/20 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
Well there has been some progress.....despite the small amount of damage, the insurance company want to write the car off. They've offered a pretty fair price for the car, which is good - we were thinking of possibly changing it anyway.

Looking for a new car - there are so many Cat N and Cat S cars out there nowadays - most look like they only ever had superficial damage. Looking at a 2015 Corsa - a whole 10 years newer than her old car!

Has anyone bought a Cat N (or S) car - or C/D for that matter and if so, did you have any problems selling it/trading it in when you got rid of it?

Thanks

steve m

posted on 1/1/20 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
I have bought and sold many cat c/d cars (the old system)
selling them is not a problem, but you have to be honest, with the fact they have been written off, also the value is a fraction of a none written off car
For instance my 2008 mondeo , book value was £2500, but as a cat D, I only got £760 on ebay 2 months ago
The current owner and I have been in contact, and one problem he had was insuring it, as his current provider would not

Ive never had this problem, so maybe things are changing now

Ive recently bought a new 2016 car, from a garage, and they were not interested at all in a 2008 car, some because it was a cat C, and even more so, as it was a diesel,

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.