Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: My garage is empty, what to do with it ?
Mr Whippy

posted on 23/12/19 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
Ever done RC planes??? I've been building them for a good 35 years since I was 11 with my first balsa glider my dad helped me build. This has always been my fall back when I'm fed up with cars or any of the other hobbies. Damn sight cheaper too. You can buy them 90% build, as kits, plans or do what I do now and build them from wood, metal, GRP as per actual 1/3 scaled down drawings for real home built planes such as the Minimax or Volksplane.

I've done a quite a few cars but nothing compares to turning a heap of wood into an actual working flying plane and then taking off into the sky you can tell this by the sheer white knuckle terror of that madden flight LOL (most are return flights too...)

This weekend I've dragged out a plane I built... well I can't even remember when I built it! A big 2.4m President T240 but was very happy how it has stood up to time (been in the loft and well covered with dust) and going to treat it to a new engine and fly it in a couple of weeks hopefully with ski's fitted if it snows

To get started google the local model flying club and go along and see what people are flying, tell them what you like. If you join the club they can give dual control training, help you build & set up you own plane so it is safe to fly. Don't go it alone that will only end in disaster and disappointment. One thing I really like about this hobby is people from every walk of life all seem to get along so well regardless of experience, budgets or social status.

[Edited on 23/12/19 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
steve m

posted on 23/12/19 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
Ive done n the Rc plane thing before, and bizarrely I had a Precedent 180 as my first ever, brilliant plane but was so light it never wanted to land !

I gave up after two major accidents were I lost a scale spitfire at 1k worth, but my fault and a scale mustang two weeks before when a numpty took off down wind, well actually he took of from the pits and went straight up through my plane !!

I sold everything, including two 2.4 transmitters, that I do regret, and have NOTHING left

but the main reason for giving up is my right eye has some issues, but I had thought of going back into r/c

Currently the garage has a scalextric track set up, for my Twin grandsons aged 5 to play with, one loves it, the other argues that there not playing fair, !!!

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

McLannahan

posted on 23/12/19 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
I have two other projects other than my car project- neither of which make ANY progress but...

A Sinclair C5 - Still possible to pick these up for a few hundred £. I intend to keep mine fairly standard but many fit better hub motors for more speed/range. Decent ones (especially with the sacred wing mirrors) can go for 1000 plus - so potential to make a little money too.

A Sinclair Zike - The "original" electric bike. Not that practical to use but a bit of history!

I like the idea that both are 80/90's history and are a rare sight on the roads, but also that they're a friendly environmental project too. Bits are a little challenging (especially for the Zike) but that's half the fun - especially if parts need making?

My 2p...

Mr Whippy

posted on 23/12/19 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
Ive done n the Rc plane thing before, and bizarrely I had a Precedent 180 as my first ever, brilliant plane but was so light it never wanted to land !

I gave up after two major accidents were I lost a scale spitfire at 1k worth, but my fault and a scale mustang two weeks before when a numpty took off down wind, well actually he took of from the pits and went straight up through my plane !!

I sold everything, including two 2.4 transmitters, that I do regret, and have NOTHING left

but the main reason for giving up is my right eye has some issues, but I had thought of going back into r/c

Currently the garage has a scalextric track set up, for my Twin grandsons aged 5 to play with, one loves it, the other argues that there not playing fair, !!!

steve

Funny I had the T180 too, built that so long ago in the back of the Landrover at lunch times, I use to come back into the office covered in sawdust a great plane and one of the reasons I later got the T240 which is still available as a kit from Sussex Model Centre, just a bit steep at £240 but a big plane so easy to see in the sky and quite docile. I still fly 35MHz with an old secondhand Futaba Field Force 7 which still does anything I could want including the heli's. Fancy radio's aren't a requirement for good flying ability.

Scalextric is cool especially if you have someone to play against, how about a scale train track? I have one of those too (far too many toys), I was originally doubtful it would be interesting enough but there was much more to it than I first thought and the scenery and buildings (from card kits) was a lot of fun, can get expensive very quickly though but at least it will last a long time unlike the planes

[Edited on 23/12/19 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JeffHs

posted on 23/12/19 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
Have you still got your welder? How about steel garden structures? I went on a garden visit a few years ago and while the women were looking at the flowers, I was looking at all of the rusted steel supports and thought "I can do that." So I bought a load of 6, 8 and 10 mm bar and started making lobster pots and tall rose supports. I sold quite a few to friends and contacts for friends and I could have sold many more. I think there's quite a market there if you can find the customers. I made a 6 foot high one a few years back and used it as a Christmas tree - quite a talking point. It's still in the conservatory and is decorated every christmas.
pekwah1

posted on 23/12/19 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
I hadn't heard of these garden lobster pot things, i must say i was amazed when i've just looked at the prices people charge!!!!

Think i might get busy on my welder as well....!

steve m

posted on 23/12/19 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
Back into Rc stuff is a possibility and had crossed my mind, and I did like building planes, the artf stuff are just to easy, and never really fly as good as they look. (or they didn't 10 years ago)

Model trains is just not me, I appreciate the layouts, and the skill to make them look real, just not for me!

Lobster pots in metal, sounds like an idea, and I do still have welders etc, any one got a link ?

and before Andy says another word, NO, I am not getting in an Rc plane !!

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Mr Whippy

posted on 24/12/19 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
How about a big rc tank? if you look on youtube there are some guys who build quite large working models, some electric some petrol. There is a ton of info on the mechanical side of them none of it particularly hard or expensive to make.

This guy here has made some cracking ride in tanks and his drive belt gearbox is perfect for scaling down for engine power -

youtube linky

They look great fun to build. I have already bought ten 12 inch diameter wheels for building my fav tank the T34/85

trextr7monkey

posted on 25/12/19 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
2 ideas 1 make Toylander model Land Rovers for kids always seem to make good money
2 Old lathes- Myfords and Drummonds can be bought cheaply, all have issues that can be sorted, huge online support resources if you buy something that is completely kaput there is a market for static antiques so the more agricultural but compact the better. Stick to well known brands rather than the esoteric. Engine crane and a few workmates to use as stands useful. I have had quite a few of these and use the profits to keep hobby car on the road.
HTH
Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

Mr Whippy

posted on 27/12/19 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
I built a toylander, tbh I doubt I'd build another. Huge amount of work and did cost a lot in the end, yeah they do sell for a lot too but quite an initial outlay. Steering system was very poor, not helped by the weight of the batteries. Sold ours as after building it I was not happy letting the girls drive such a large and powerful car especially as they showed little talent for it.

[Edited on 27/12/19 by Mr Whippy]

steve m

posted on 27/12/19 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
I also built a toy lander for my Grandson, great project, but I would not build one again, and as said above,
the steering was a crap design

Any way, ive narrowed my thoughts down to

Micro brewery,

Epoxy/wood something, and a friend is lending me a wood lathe, to play with

A big precedent 180, poss 240 but electric, and I still have my Futaba 6 on 35 to use

A car simulator, And Grandson (he's in IT) is sourcing from work a PC to run 3 screens

Lobster pots etc sounds interesting, but I need more info, and need to know they will sell

however, currently my garage has a scalextric track installed, that the grand kids, and all the family yesterday
playing it, and ive been TOLD, that its staying in there !

steve

steve m

posted on 11/1/20 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
Just to update you all on what to do with my empty garage

Home brew kit came today, and is already for tomorrow morning to sterilize and make the first batch

Epoxy kit is on the way to make some projects, including a new floor in the downstairs toilet, as ive got some approval
to do a coin floor, but Swmbo changes her mind like the wind so that may change (no pun!!)

ive yet to get the wood lathe yet, so back burner, also racing simulator, the same

Ive done a bit of research on Rc stuff, so that is still ongoing, as is lobster pots etc, but as yet ive not found anyone who has bought one, nor exactly what people want

steve

Mr Whippy

posted on 13/1/20 at 07:14 AM Reply With Quote
If you are still thinking about the t180 which is no longer produced. I'd recommend going for the t240 instead, it's quite a bit bigger but easy to transport as the wings split, built just the same way but with the option adding of landing flaps. I fitted a NGH 25cc petrol engine (£168) from Just Engines so running costs are nothing and I have running times of 30mins. Sussex Model Centre sells the T240 kits £239.99 in stock. Carboncopyuk sell GRP cowls for the T180 (£19.99) & T240 (£30.99) highly recommend, much better than the kit wooden version and is fuel proof.
JC

posted on 13/1/20 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Steve,

Are you doing ‘all grain’ brewing ie from scratch, or from liquid kits?
If it’s the former, and you need any help, drop me a pm! I’ve also got a couple of recipes that are a good basis to start playing!

Mr Whippy

posted on 13/1/20 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
T180 on ebay...

Linky

steve m

posted on 13/1/20 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
I was bought a homebrew kit (coopers) that I am have started yesterday, and if that is successful I could possibly go down the scratch route, but lets see how good the first few batches are first !

I had seen that 180, but I do not want to go down the fuel route again to bloody messy and noisy, so electric is the way to go,
My old 180 was SO LIGHT, electric will be fine, I would also like to build again, so a 180 in kit form, or even plans would be fine
the 240 is too big for what I want

steve

Mr Whippy

posted on 13/1/20 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
Fair enough, the t180 is no longer produced as a kit, just the t240 and due to the nature of the kit the plans were only done for the wings.

If you have autocad could make your own from the t240 drawing on the linked forum thread, it's the only time I have seen them. Sorry mine were lost in the house move or I'd have sent you them.

linky

[Edited on 13/1/20 by Mr Whippy]

JC

posted on 14/1/20 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
My friends and I set up an 'all grain' system. Subsequently I was bought a kit brew as a present, consisting of a sachet of liquid concentrate etc. I made it and was underwhelmed by the results - nowhere near as good!

The all grain set consists of a 40l Apollo boiler (Burco type) - the sort with the element concealed in the base. I removed the standard tap and added a ball-valve type, with a wire mesh strainer on the inside

We then have a 23l cool box. This has a tap added with a loop of copper pipe around the bottom of the box. The pipe has downwards facing slits to help filter the grain out.

We then have a plastic tub for fermenting.

Finally, the 'sexy' bit that we bought was a counterflow chiller! A heat exchanger - cold water flows one way, hot liquid the other. This is really important to the clarity of the beer - the quicker you can cool it the better!!

To brew: Heat water in boiler to around 80 degrees - depending on recipe!. Pour into cool box. Stir in the grain as per recipe. Seal cool box and leave for 1hour-1 hour 30. Meanwhile heat another batch of water in the boiler.

Open the cool box and cover the top of the grain with a layer of perforated foil. Then slowly add the hot water on top of the foil, whilst draining liquid (wort) out of the tap until you have your calculated volume. Pour the wort into the boiler and then boil the hell out of it for 1-1h30, again depending on the recipe. You add hops during this time. 15 mins before the end, add flocculation tablets. When the boil ends, drain through the chiller into the fermenter. Add yeast and leave to ferment. Once fermentation has finished (stops bubbling, correct SG achieved) bottle it. Add a little sugar to the mix before bottling, or a sugar tablet in each bottle. Leave somewhere cool for a couple of weeks then drink!!!

Sounds more complex than it is but my local brew shop said as long as you clean and sterilise the brew kit, its almost impossible to make bad beer!!!! In fact, the cleaning and sterilisation takes most of the time!!!

John G

posted on 14/1/20 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Steve, having brewed with both kits and now from the grain I would echo the above, both on cost and majorly taste.
If you visit the HomeBrew Forum you will find a wealth of information and help. I bought the Graham Wheeler book with recipes and technical information.
There are some good mail order sites where you have free postage over £65. The Angelbrew company is well respected for their boilers. You can pick up a 25 litre programable boiler for around £425
rew.co.uk/en/29-brew-devilhttps://www.angelhomeb
The initial start up is more expensive but you are in charge of your brew in terms of hops, strength etc. I have never had a bad batch and took a barrell to the revival for our camping weekend. You can soon brew as good if not better than a lot of real ales at around 50p a pint!
Good luck Jon

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.