Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: wrong oil in gearbox - how bad?
MikeR

posted on 6/5/20 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
wrong oil in gearbox - how bad?

So stealing a few minutes from being teacher I put some oil in my type 9. I went to double check I had the right oil and didn't bother as I didn't have much time (and this was gl4 oil so had to be right).

I'm an idiot, I got the diff oil and put a litre in the gearbox. Only realised when I went to open the second litre and noticed it was different to the first.

Is it time to drain the gearbox or will it be ok with 1 litre of mineral EP80w90 GL4 instead of semi synthetic SX75w90 GL4?

As they're so close in guessing it's ok if the mineral oil can take the abuse / doesn't rot anything.

Compounded by putting a hole in the bottle to let air in as it filled so I can't suction it out back into it's original container. Bloody lockdown

cliftyhanger

posted on 6/5/20 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
It will be absolutely fine. I doubt teh comma oil was about when T9's were first made, they probably got EP80 GL4 at the factory.
The GL4 is the best choice, I am not sure if a yellow-metal safe GL5 would be OK from the syncromesh operation point.

(the one thing I do like about the sx75 90 is it doesn't smell like cat crap when it is a few years old...)

adithorp

posted on 6/5/20 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
Don't panic! It'll make very little difference. If you notice, you're a better man than me.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

rusty nuts

posted on 6/5/20 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
Having driven a Sierra that had diff oil in the box I would say change it for the correct oil, gear change was vastly improved. The problem is there isn’t a drain plug , I used some screen washer tubing and siphoned the oil out overnight . One of the vacuum oil drainers would be a good idea
MikeR

posted on 6/5/20 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
So it was bugging me that I had the right oil. I also have a vacuum pump. Kids outside on a break I started pumping. Didn't get that much out so I took the top cover off and pumped again. Glad I did as what came out was a lot darker (so I hadn't got it all out previously). Now filled with the proper stuff, left a few drops dripping out the filter plug and will reseal on next kids break (betting I forget?). Put the cover on and tightened for now.

Now on the hunt for a new type 9 top gasket & feeling happier it's done properly.

steve m

posted on 6/5/20 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
I would also worried about the oil, and would of changed it

You could make the gasket, cornflakes packet or the like, it doesn't really do a lot, and its not under any pressure
and with the cover off, you have the template

I made all of mine on the type 2 boxes, and the ones between the box and bellhousing

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.