Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Social distancing...
jollygreengiant

posted on 27/5/20 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
Correct this DID kick off. I can understand the sentiments that people have posted on here.
My perspective, people are getting VERY frustrated with the "Lock Down" and it IS grating on on people to various degrees. I am 61 this in a few months, I have been OFF work since the 20th Dec (Xmas break back on 2nd Jan), for Xmas eve I got a really nice present. SEVERE left arm pains, that left me unable to sleep. this, I think, was a continuation of of earlier mild pains that started in the March before from walking 4 miles. My physiotherapist up graded me to needing a CAT scan, just as the Covid started. I am now in a holding pattern for this (unless it worsens, severely), suspected spinal/neck problem. Wonderful. I am type 2 diabetic, COPD, blood pressure, asthmatic, with an irregular heart beat.
My wife is 3 years younger, and, still working (Morrison's check out) bricking it that she might bring Covid home.
My brother (and his wife) are 20 years older than me, (I have 3 sisters between me and him but I DON'T care about them after the crap that they gave me and my Brother after the death of our parents).
My Mother in Law is 92 in a care home in Bexhill, THIS worries my wife.
I worry about the few friends that I do have, plus those on LCB, and some of the Aircraft restoration groups.

THIS whole actual event that WE are ALL going through is a worry. We get very frustrated with the behaviour of others at this time.

My wife and I have NOT seen our Children OR our Grand Children since before Xmas, then we get told in the last week that we are going to have another Grand Child (we have EXTRA worries for our Daughter in law).

EACH day you wake up in the morning is a bonus, and, each night that you get to bed is a blessing. BE GRATEFUL. I had a school friend whose life was turned upside down because she was due to marry a chap, until his sister was killed by the Yorkshire Ripper. I had a Niece who was due to marry a police motor cyclist, until he was killed by an American tourist driving on the wrong side of the road. AND I have SEEN TOO many people decapitated while driving their vehicle(s) the first one I was about 9.

BE GRATEFUL.
BUT REMEMBER THOSE THAT YOU NEED TO.
JMHO

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

David Jenkins

posted on 27/5/20 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
I regret having my petty little rant now!

I am retired, and I don't find it too hard to cope with social distancing - apart from not seeing my grandchildren, which saddens me a lot. Unfortunately though, my wife has suffered from significant depression in the past, although she had managed to get on top of that with counselling and pills (now finished, thankfully). My worry is that I see signs of it reappearing now and then due to the lockdown and Covid-19 news, but at least I know how to deflect her from most of the bad thoughts. The BBC don't help though - she often watches the news and, frankly, it's getting her down. It's probably getting a lot of people down!

craig1410

posted on 27/5/20 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
You're not wrong there David - the media have turned sensationalism up to 11 and I strongly believe it's detrimental to many or even most people.

Before anyone jumps on the freedom of the press argument, I'm absolutely committed to us having freedom of the press but they really need to keep a better balance between the facts and the tone/sentiment of what they are reporting. The situation is stressful enough without amplifying the stress levels further! Some of the stupid and persistent questions they have been asking at the daily briefing are just ridiculous! I don't know how the politicians and their advisers can stand there every day and give professional responses at times!

SJ

posted on 27/5/20 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
I've stopped watching any new media on this whether mainstream or web based. It's all just sensationalist nonsense.

I deleted several news apps and feeds on Facebook and signed up to some more sailing and car related groups. I'm now about 200% happier and more relaxed!

[Edited on 27/5/20 by SJ]

craig1410

posted on 27/5/20 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
Somewhat ironically, the below article in The Guardian about how the stoic philosophers can teach us techniques to better deal with adversity, contains a quote from Epictetus warning about media consumption:

quote:

A Stoic would recommend you to be careful of what media and opinions you consume during the virus. Counselled Epictetus: “Other people’s views and troubles can be contagious. Don’t sabotage yourself by unwittingly adopting negative, unproductive attitudes through your associations with others.”

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/18/remaining-calm-in-adversity-what-stoicism-can-teach-us-during-the-coronavirus-pandemic

Stoicism is something I've been reading about on and off for a few years now and although I'm by no means an expert, I do find it very intriguing and a great source of ancient wisdom. I'm totally non-religious so I find stoicism much more accessible than religious texts which undoubtedly contain similar wisdom in some areas.

Hopefully this might help some folks who are struggling.

steve m

posted on 27/5/20 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
I am sorry that I ranted on, and some of the things I said, were pretty nasty !

But ALL of us, every single person in this country and all around the globe need to realize that,

this is not a joke, its not going to disappear quickly, an awful lot more people will die

Yet, people take the kids to the beach, and party??? no social distancing, no masks, nothing
And have been doing so for weeks,

In my road, the last 8 ish houses of the close, only one guy is still at work, (building trade) and the rest of us, are isolating at different levels, talk to neighbours at about 3 metres, and we are all doing this, as the longer we do, the lockdown will end

What seriously upsets me, is these retards may not be at risk, but every person they come in contact, might pass something on,
and on, and all of a sudden, my Tescos delivery driver gets the virus, and then we do, unlikely as even the deliveries we have we taken extra precaution, but you know what I mean

The selfishness of all of those individuals are putting us all at risk, and deep down we all know that once the lockdown ends, the death rates will go sky high again within two weeks

We will be in a serous lockdown in two months time, all because an enormous proportion of individuals need to go and make sand castles, or play football in the park

Yet we are prisoners in our own house because of this

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

BenB

posted on 27/5/20 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
I suspect those playing football in the park are actually checking their vision and spacial awareness to ensure they have not been impacted by lockdown.....

Cummings is an idiot and Boris and Gove are a national embarrassment trying to defend him. Leaders should lead by example. It's somewhat not surprising when Cummings seems to think the laws are flexible, Boris defends him and Gove says he also goes for drives to check his vision.

The whole national response has been ridiculous.

Oh well. I'm sure the truth will come out in the Commons Liaison Committee later. Oh no, I forgot. Boris broke tradition and decided rather than allow the committee to elect a chair he'd chose one. Even though his choice no longer sits on any committees which is traditionally a pre-requisite... And was a leading member of the Brexit campaign. Alongside Cummings. And Boris.

Well that all sounds above board.

Not only to Boris et all think the normal rules of society don't apply to them they subvert governance to get away with it.

Hancock grand-standing for the cameras outside the Nightingale Hospital when it opened. At a time when it was "essential travel" only. I didn't realise a photo opportunity was essential travel. Perhaps I'll travel half way across London to take a selfy.

It's not surprising people are misbehaving.

Myke 2463

posted on 27/5/20 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
I am sorry that I ranted on, and some of the things I said, were pretty nasty !

But ALL of us, every single person in this country and all around the globe need to realize that,

this is not a joke, its not going to disappear quickly, an awful lot more people will die

Yet, people take the kids to the beach, and party??? no social distancing, no masks, nothing
And have been doing so for weeks,

In my road, the last 8 ish houses of the close, only one guy is still at work, (building trade) and the rest of us, are isolating at different levels, talk to neighbours at about 3 metres, and we are all doing this, as the longer we do, the lockdown will end

What seriously upsets me, is these retards may not be at risk, but every person they come in contact, might pass something on,
and on, and all of a sudden, my Tesco's delivery driver gets the virus, and then we do, unlikely as even the deliveries we have we taken extra precaution, but you know what I mean

The selfishness of all of those individuals are putting us all at risk, and deep down we all know that once the lockdown ends, the death rates will go sky high again within two weeks

We will be in a serous lockdown in two months time, all because an enormous proportion of individuals need to go and make sand castles, or play football in the park

Yet we are prisoners in our own house because of this

steve

No need to apologise Steve some people cant face the truth, Media and press are not helping and people who buy papers just keep them employed. Why ???? all their crap is 24 hours old anyway. This is fact.

Be Lucky Mike.

jollygreengiant

posted on 27/5/20 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
THE hardest part of this sort of social stress is to let go of the baggage that IS affecting you, whether you realise that it is or not, very much harder when you don't know that it is.

I understand about the stress of a loved one. My wife was reduced to counseling and pills by having her mother come to live with us about 16 years ago. I could see who and why, my wife couldn't the solution was easy, make my mother in law leave because of me. I married my wife NOT her mother. After she left I helped get my wife better. My wife understands WHAT I did and WHY. I don't care whether my mother in law dislikes me or not (she was not keen on me from the beginning, I wasn't a mega rich prince). The important one WAS my wife and my children. My wife is stress about work, so, I do what I can, Cook, Clean, Home repairs/adjustments, and, if she is tired then let her sleep until she needs to get up. LIFE GOES ON.

Think back to when you were 16 - 20 (something), tomorrow was something that you were not worried about , it was all about then and the next few hours, we were Kings and Queens of the future. AS we get older we worry more about the future and if we are blessed (some are not ), we have children, then (blessed again) Grand Children, we worry more.

I did in a prior post allude to my medical problems, IF you are reading this then some of you will also be aware of some of the problems that a child of mine is having. ALL I can say about that is certain section of a certain family law area so I CAN'T discuss it. IF you are aware of that area of the law for personal reasons then you have my sympathies.

THANK YOU ALL for the calmer approach that seems to have taken effect.

Keep WELL Keep SAFE.

JGG.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

Toys2

posted on 27/5/20 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
"

I have been told to self isolate till at least the end of August,

Steve do you mind me asking about the “end of August”
My wife if classed as clinically extremely vulnerable and I’m her carer,
As such I have to shield too, I’m currently working from home

My company had the expectation that I’ll return on 15th June, which is the 12 weeks on her original letter
I’ve just looked at the gov website and it now says 30th June, though that will no doubt extend
I’m wondering if I’ve missed some advice about August?

It’s not that I’m 100% against returning to work (essential food manufacturing)
They have done a huge amount of changes and spent a lot of money to ensure that the 2M rule can be followed
Thanks

steve m

posted on 27/5/20 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Ive had two conversations with Gov.uk, who called to make sure we were alright, I was extremely sceptical on the first call
and was waiting for the " I just need your bank details" type of question. that never came, but from memory the 0330 phone number when you google it, is was Gov.uk and genuine, also the info both callers gave me was to go to the Gov.uk website, and follow the prompts, it was very easy, and no scammers would tell anyone to go to a genuine website

Both callers, Gavin, and a Girl, I cant remember her name, said that we were to self isolate, or at the very worst distance, for next couple of months, and if the shielding letter hadn't arrived, to call the Doctors

So, the shielding letter still hasn't officially arrived, but I do have it on email, and my Doctors have put down, until 31 August
For me, that's part is irrelevant, as not being paid anyway,

However I am in discussion with my Employer via email, and this is an extremely tedious mission, but I do appreciate that 90% of the staff have been Furloughed, I should be getting SSP at the very worst, and it looks like that I will get £94.50 a week, and back dated, but, the saying Cheque in the post, springs to mind

Money is the least of my worries at the moment, as I have my Private pension to use, but I would rather be at work for a few days a week

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

steve m

posted on 27/5/20 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry, if ive misled anyone, as ive just checked, and my shielding letter currently expires 08/08/20 not 31/08/20

Steve

Toys2

posted on 27/5/20 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Sorry, if ive misled anyone, as ive just checked, and my shielding letter currently expires 08/08/20 not 31/08/20

Steve

Thanks Steve, I didn't know if there was some published data on a website that I'd missed
I'll have to stick with my wife's letter and the gov.uk advice, which will no doubt get changed

It is a stressful time, but I remind myself that the estimated number of people that actually are infectious is meant to be going down, the R rate is much lower than it was a couple of months ago and a good majority of the population are conscious of social distancing. To me that means the actual real risk of catching it, is much lower than it was

Take care everyone

David Jenkins

posted on 28/5/20 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
My wife's brother-in-law just shared this on Facebook - seems appropriate just at the moment...

As we start to open up.....you do you, I'll do me. That's what the UK's all about. None of us have the same circumstances (medically high risk child/ family member or a business about to go under, etc.) Let's all stay in our own lanes and keep the judgement down as we begin to unlock. No one should feel pressured either way.
Just a thought... As the MP's are trying to figure out how to ease back into normal, please remember:
* Some people don’t agree with the unlocking.... that’s ok. Be kind.
* Some people are still planning to stay home.... that’s ok. Be kind.
* Some are still scared of getting the virus and a second wave happening.... that’s ok. Be kind.
* Some are sighing with relief to go back to work knowing they may not lose their business or their homes....that’s ok. Be kind.
* Some are thankful they can finally have the surgery they have had put off....that’s ok. Be kind.
* Some will be able to attend interviews after weeks without a job....that’s ok. Be kind.
* Some will wear masks for weeks....that’s ok. Be kind.
* Some people will rush out to get their hair or nails done.... that’s ok. Be kind.
* The point is, everyone has different viewpoints/feelings and that’s ok. Be kind.
We each have a different story. If you need to stay home, stay home. But be kind.
If you need to go out, just respect others when in public by safe distancing and be kind!
Don’t judge fellow humans because you’re not in their story. We all are in different

sdh2903

posted on 28/5/20 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
"this is not a joke, its not going to disappear quickly"

And there is the key point in all of this. A key point missed by lots of people. This is going to be around for a long time with no guarantee of a vaccine.

So we cant simply hide away forever because the cost of life due to poverty, homelessness and mental health will far outweigh the virus. We have to learn to lead a normal life as is humanly possible. We have to return to work. We have to let our kids have contact with their friends for their sanity. We have to restart education. All whilst shielding as much of the vulnerable population as is possible. Which I commend those who are as my parents are doing the same, it must be really mentally tough.

And whilst there are rants about social distancing we as a nation have doubled the distance to 2m compared to other countries, I was out walking the dog earlier and a bloke nigh on leapt into the bushes to get away from me on the footpath!

And all this reporting people for breaches of this that and the other is getting out of hand, a few nights ago we and a few neighbours sat out in our front gardens having a couple of beers and a chat. All stayed on our own property and the smallest separation must have been 5 or 6 meters and one of the knobs down the street was out taking pictures and actually called the police!! When they turned up they said they were expecting a street party the way it had been reported. They told us to carry on being sensible and sorry to have bothered us. The telling tales culture is taking over.

craig1410

posted on 28/5/20 at 11:57 PM Reply With Quote
Couldn't agree more!

It's the politically easy decision to carry on with the lockdown and play it safe - the real courage comes from trying to strike an acceptable balance between direct protection of life and INDIRECT protection which comes from restarting the economy and restoring society. We've also got Brexit just around the corner so the decisions made in the next 6 months will profoundly affect the outcome for the UK for years if not decades to come!

I echo David's post above that we all need to be kind and tolerant because we all have such different points of view of this situation and the way it affects each of us.

Mr Whippy

posted on 29/5/20 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
The somewhat ironic outcome of all this is that all the people I know, family, friends and work colleagues have never been healthier. With 2 kids we are normally bouncing from one thing to another and generally feeling like crap, I had bad coughs for months on end, it was becoming a joke at work I haven’t had a cough or even a sore head once since I started working from home, not one!

Given that Covid-19 is so contagious, I wonder if with this lockdown and all extra precautions taken we have eliminated heaps of other common less contagious diseases??

I wonder too how many have not been killed from industrial accidents, car crashes, even wars. Yeah we’re just talking cold hard numbers not lives and family’s destroyed but it would be interesting to find out the numbers. For example people working from home as a norm, would that save tens of thousands of lives a year? Hundreds of thousands globally even. What about schools can they learn anything from the improved health precautions now implemented can we use them to reduce the spread of everything else too? Although we focus now on the horror of what’s happening now, I still think a lot of good will come of this in the end and maybe that is some comfort.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
craig1410

posted on 29/5/20 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
Agreed. I've been working from home full time for several years now and although not every type of job is suitable for home working, I hope in future many more people will be able to enjoy that flexibility where it's possible. Even my wife, who is a primary school teacher, has been teaching kids on video conferencing a few at a time and it is surprisingly effective. Parental involvement is also much greater and parental "appreciation" is through the roof!

The other thing that strikes me about this whole episode is that it is perhaps the first time I can remember in my 47 years where every country, continent and culture has been brought together by a common challenge. I work with people all over the world every day and often our video calls start with an update from each region on the latest situation there. It really has brought a sense of community that I've rarely seen before.

Yes, people have died or had lives changed massively and we should never forget that, but we owe it to those people to try to extract some goodness from the situation if we can, and I think we certainly will. The planet is certainly healthier too!

steve m

posted on 29/5/20 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
I have also thought about some of the positives about this situation we are in, and there are lots of positives

Working from home, has now become the normal, and traveling into say London every day with millions of others is not required

My Daughter in law is a Pa for some senior management in Costain's and has worked from home since March,
She would get up around 0500 to arrive in London around 0830, by train, leave work 5 ish, and regularly not be home before 0830
and this was every day, and must be soul destroying

Now up at 0800, and at home for 1700 !

Coupled with this is the excessive rail fare 7k worth, and not getting a seat on half the journeys,
Then theres lunch and drinks etc during day, she reckons shes saving 10k a year at least,
and she is not fatigued all the time
Initially she did have problems with certain aspects of her job, that seemed impossible to do so from home, but I think everyone involved managed to get it all done

With all the above, it proves that all this needless travel Trains planes cars bus's the lot, could be reduced by an enormous amount, this in turn could lead to a cleaner environment, as Air quality now seems to be immensely cleaner, and I only have to use Asthma pump, if ive actually done something, were as before, it was all the time

My hayfever, that ive had since I was 2 (now59) has almost disappeared, and that is odd !!

Neighbours etc rally round, and if someone needs something we all seem to talk and get it done
Just this morning, ive ordered some stuff of ebay for my next door neighbour as they wouldn't have a clue!
I gave her my bank details, and she already paid me,

I do hope that when this all clears, we can all live in a nicer world, and one that does not have to fight with anyone, and as said, no WARS

steve

craig1410

posted on 29/5/20 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
Well said!
Angel Acevedo

posted on 29/5/20 at 11:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SJ
Have to say I've found it pretty impossible in the supermarket from the start. Some people are wary but many don't seem too concerned. My view is I'll probably get it at some point if I haven't had it already so not overly worried.

I´m 52 and I share your point of view.
I try to follow the recommendations on behalf of the other people, but if they don´t care, It does not take my cool away..
I may be wrong, or stupid or both, but eventually most people will get it....

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

posted on 3/6/20 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Unlike most I do wear a mask.

Description
Description

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.